Texas Style Smoked Sausage

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Does anybody have a good recipe for Texas style smoked beef sausage?

I used the search function but didn't find what I was looking for.

Not looking for a hot link. Franklin had a brief video. Looked like the seasoning was mostly salt and pepper and used mostly beef with a little pork.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

You may want to look into my thread here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242074

It's a german/czech/polish mashup that is simple in its ingredients and excellent in taste. Rivals Bellville meat market's sausage, and that was my gold standard up until then. I've got positive results from others who've had it, and others who have made it. The post has not only the recipe, but the proper technique too. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you add around 2% soy protein concentrate as a binder, you will get a more consistent texture. It also adds in moisture retention, and gives you a more plump sausage. You can also use Dry Milk Powder. Neither are necessary, just changes the final product a little.

Thank you,

That looks killer. I ordered some natural casings from Amazon. hopefully I can try some of this out this weekend.

Matt,

You may want to look into my thread here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242074

It's a german/czech/polish mashup that is simple in its ingredients and excellent in taste. Rivals Bellville meat market's sausage, and that was my gold standard up until then. I've got positive results from others who've had it, and others who have made it. The post has not only the recipe, but the proper technique too. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Matt,

That is a good recipe and you are right about simplicity.

Two brothers I know make a huge batch (like 800 to 900 pounds) of German sausage each February. The recipe is a "family recipe" and it's beef, pork, salt, garlic, white pepper, black pepper and a small amount of Tender Quick to give it a pink color. So it's a mild sausage and they stuff some and keep some in bulk. I have suggested they convert all ingredients to grams or percents like you have done, but they stick to measuring everything by volume and there are minor inconsistencies from year to year.

Thanks,

That helps a lot. Do you use a binder?

Yup. Nonfat dry milk. I thought it would be weird before I first tried it, but I do get a nice juicy sausage with it. In all honesty, the main reason I use that instead of something else is that my MIL buys it for her coffee when she visits so there's always some laying around.

Thank you,

That looks killer. I ordered some natural casings from Amazon. hopefully I can try some of this out this weekend.

Cool. You'll have to let me know what you think.

That is a good recipe and you are right about simplicity....

...I have suggested they convert all ingredients to grams or percents like you have done, but they stick to measuring everything by volume and there are minor inconsistencies from year to year.

Yeah, percent is the only way to fly when making sausage, rubs, queso, just about everything. With a scale that goes to 0.01g, you can mix up enough seasoning to do a single test patty and then adjust as needed for the next one. Like you said, the big payoff is consistency. It's the same every single time!

Matt,

The best sausage that I have ever made. Just finished another 25lb batch.:icon_smile_tongue:

Deleted

Last edited:
Hi All How do I translate in pounds for the meat and Tea/tablespoons for the spice? I'm looking to make 5lbs.
Thanks DanB

I've been wanting to do this for a while now. The first sausage that I made turned out really good, but it was a fresh sausage and unfit for low temp smoking. For that you need to add Cure #1, and I also wanted to tweak garlic levels and add some mustard seeds. Stanley Marianski says in his book that he wants to educate the reader so they can go off and develop their own sausage recipes from what they have learned, well, I can say that's exactly what I've done.

Pork 75.00%
Beef 25.00%
salt 1.75%
pepper 0.38%
Crushed garlic 1.00%
water 3.13%
Cure #1 0.25%
Mustard seeds 0.10%

Hi All How do I translate in pounds for the meat and Tea/tablespoons for the spice? I'm looking to make 5lbs.
Thanks DanB

The reason it's done in percentages is because when you're trying to make a certain amount (like 5 lbs) you'll end up with 11/64ths of a teaspoon, which is impossible measure out with any accuracy. It's all done by weight, even the water.

So yes, to do this you're going to need a digital kitchen scale, preferably one that measures in grams.

First step, convert weight into grams: 2268g
Next step, multiply 2268 times all of those percentages and you will get the weights you need in grams.

You'll end up with this. All the weights to the right of the percentage value are in grams:
Code:
Pork		75.00%	1701
Beef		25.00%	567
salt		1.52%	34.47
pepper		0.38%	8.51
Crushed garlic	1.00%	22.68
water		3.13%	70.98
Cure #1		0.25%	5.65
Mustard seeds	0.10%	2.27

You could do it with ounces, but the numbers get really small and not all scales work that well with such small weights. The quantity of cure #1 is critical, so that's why I work with a scale that goes down to 0.01g. Probably overkill, but makes my OCD feel better. :wacko:

Ounces, but I don't recommend it. Hard to weigh out 0.2 oz of cure #1

Code:
Pork		75.00%	60
Beef		25.00%	20
salt		1.52%	1.22
pepper		0.38%	0.30
Crushed garlic	1.00%	0.80
water		3.13%	2.50
Cure #1		0.25%	0.20
Mustard seeds	0.10%	0.08

The real handy thing about percentages is that you can scale it to any quantity of meat you have on hand. Got 2.31 lbs of meat? No problem. Got 95.2 lbs of meat? Also, no problem.

I write my sausage recipes in terms of percentages as well. I go with about 3 parts beef to 1 part pork. I also add some brisket fat. The pork allows you to get away without using a binder as it will release proteins that will bind the sausage when you mix. Lockhart sausage uses bull flour as a binder and all beef. My recipe is posted at The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. I'm not sure the rules on posting links to other forums. Message me and I'll send a link.

Last edited:
Another thing about weight in grams. It makes it easy to run a smaller test batch when tinkering with seasonings. I typically run as small as a 1 pound batch when tweaking a recipe.

You need a good grams scale that has 1/100th of a gram resolution (0.01g) when running small batches. These can be had for around $20-25 on Amazon. This is mine. I pair it with a larger scale for meat, but use the gram scale for all my spice measurements. Oh, and don't forget calibration weights to verify your scales are accurate and to re-calibrate when necessary. I check accuracy before weighing spices and then after. If it's right both times, I know my spice weights and cure are spot on between them.

ezVg11t.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing about weight in grams. It makes it easy to run a smaller test batch when tinkering with seasonings. I typically run as small as a 1 pound batch when tweaking a recipe.

You need a good grams scale that has 1/100th of a gram resolution (0.01g) when running small batches. These can be had for around $20-25 on Amazon. This is mine. I pair it with a larger scale for meat, but use the gram scale for all my spice measurements. Oh, and don't forget calibration weights to verify your scales are accurate and to re-calibrate when necessary. I check accuracy before weighing spices and then after. If it's right both times, I know my spice weights and cure are spot on between them.

ezVg11ts.jpg

Absolutely. I do the same exact thing. Makes life easy, and the scales are cheap.

Also, dward51, if you add a letter like "s" "m" "l" "h" to your imgur filename at the end, it will keep you from getting gihugic photos on here.

So, ezVg11t.jpg becomes ezVg11ts.jpg if you want a small pic. I added it to your filename, that's why it's small in my post. :thumb:

The reason it's done in percentages is because when you're trying to make a certain amount (like 5 lbs) you'll end up with 11/64ths of a teaspoon, which is impossible measure out with any accuracy. It's all done by weight, even the water.

So yes, to do this you're going to need a digital kitchen scale, preferably one that measures in grams.

First step, convert weight into grams: 2268g
Next step, multiply 2268 times all of those percentages and you will get the weights you need in grams.

You'll end up with this. All the weights to the right of the percentage value are in grams:
Code:
Pork		75.00%	1701
Beef		25.00%	567
salt		1.52%	34.47
pepper		0.38%	8.51
Crushed garlic	1.00%	22.68
water		3.13%	70.98
Cure #1		0.25%	5.65
Mustard seeds	0.10%	2.27

You could do it with ounces, but the numbers get really small and not all scales work that well with such small weights. The quantity of cure #1 is critical, so that's why I work with a scale that goes down to 0.01g. Probably overkill, but makes my OCD feel better. :wacko:

Ounces, but I don't recommend it. Hard to weigh out 0.2 oz of cure #1

Code:
Pork		75.00%	60
Beef		25.00%	20
salt		1.52%	1.22
pepper		0.38%	0.30
Crushed garlic	1.00%	0.80
water		3.13%	2.50
Cure #1		0.25%	0.20
Mustard seeds	0.10%	0.08

The real handy thing about percentages is that you can scale it to any quantity of meat you have on hand. Got 2.31 lbs of meat? No problem. Got 95.2 lbs of meat? Also, no problem.

Hi OK I got it now. 5lbs = 3.75 beef and 1.25 Pork.
Now I have to work on the spices.
THanks DanB

Here's my take on it.

66% chuck roast
22% pork shoulder
11% brisket fat

Then everything else is calculated as a percentage of that combined meat and fat weight.. Other ingredients were
10% Water
1.5% Kosher salt
1.5% Tallicherry Pepper
0.25% cure #1 (neccessary for slow smoking but I think it adds to the flavor)
0.05% cayenne pepper
0.05% marjoram (completely optional)
0.025% sage (completely optional)

I added the herbs just to give it something extra. More traditional would be to leave those out. This recipe is designed to be hot smoked. It holds up from 225 to 275, but I'm sure 350 would be ok. I season the meat and let it sit overnight to cure. Then I use a coarse grind. Then I add the water and mix by hand until tacky and stuff in natural hog casings.

Last edited:
Back