MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #271
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Good lookin stuff Thingfish and Bob!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #272
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Here is a recipe I found today and am going to give a try. Here is the link:

http://briantissot.com/2015/05/25/bb...barrel-cooker/

BBQ with Aloha: Huli-Huli Chicken using a Pit Barrel Cooker
by Dr Abalone • May 25, 2015

There is nothing like the smell of a good barbecue. Growing up on the east coast I remember the smell of family roadside BBQ stands in Virginia and Maryland as you drove down the road. A tent next to the house with a big BBQ rig and family members standing by the road waving you in for a half a chicken and fresh corn on the cob. The best I ever ate. That is until I moved to Hawaii. It was on the Big Island that I first encountered the smell and taste of Huli-Huli Chicken. Strategically placed roadside stands let the sweet BBQ smoke blow down the road into oncoming traffic making it very difficult not to stop for a meal. Huli-Huli Chicken is a teriyaki-based chicken that is cooked over hot kiawe wood in an open pit that is turned (Huli”) rapidly over the coals. The taste of the smoked, juicy chicken in a sweet Huli-Huli sauce is an amazing experience and well worth the effort. I have worked out my own recipe over time, which I share here, but it is a variation of existing recipes (such as Guy Fieri’s recipe and that at Amazing Ribs) adapted to my family’s tastes.

I created this recipe to work on a Pit Barrel Cooker which is quite simply the best economical smoker in the world and produces amazingly sweet and juicy chicken. Of course you don’t need one to use this recipe as it will work fine on any grill or smoker but it probably won’t be as good and you’ll need to figure out your own timing. Anyway, here is my recipe which is based on cooking one whole chicken.

Prepping the Pit Barrel Cooker and Chicken

Fill the charcoal basket with charcoal and add several chunks of Kiawe (or mesquite which is similar). Place the basket at the bottom of the smoker and light the coals using your favorite method. At sea level let the coals burn for 20 min with the vent 1/4 of the way open (it will take longer and the vent needs to be open more at higher altitudes; see their website).

While the coals are getting ready clean and split the chicken in half and pull the Pit barrel hooks through the meat. Then apply the dry rub. The recipe works fine without the rub but the garlic-onion-pepper rub adds another layer of flavor that compliments the sweet soy-based sauce. You can also just add salt and pepper before you cook it, brine it the night before, or marinate it in the Huli-Huli sauce for a few hours. However, you really don’t need to brine the chicken when using the Pit Barrel cooker as the smoker acts like a convection oven and keeps the meat moist and juicy.

Dry rub
• 2 tbsp garlic powder
• 1 tbsp onion powder
• 1 tbsp paprika
• 1.5 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp coarse black pepper
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp white pepper
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp ground cumin

When the coals are ready place the chicken halves in the smoker so that they hang over the coals and close the lid. The beauty of the Pit Barrel Cooker is that you don’t really need to check the meat, just watch the time and it will turn out great (although I always check the temperature at the end before serving).

While the meat is cooking prepare the Huli-Huli sauce in a medium saucepan on the stove. Mix all the ingredients, let it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and let it cool down. Reserve a cup of the sauce for dipping and use the rest for basting. For those of you that don’t like pineapple (like my wife) you can substitute with other citrus fruits (I use ¾ orange + ¼ lemon). I strongly recommend shoyu sauce (especially Aloha Shoyu) as it has a milder flavor then most other soy sauces. Fresh garlic and ginger are key to the recipe but powered substitutes will work in a pinch. Other variations of the sauce included adding 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce and/or 2 tbsp of Sriracha sauce if you like it a bit hot.

Huli-Huli Sauce:
• 1 cup pineapple juice
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 1/2 cup shoyu sauce
• 2 tablespoons chicken broth
• 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
• 1/4 cup rice vinegar
• 2 tsp sesame oil
• 2 tsp minced ginger
• 1 tsp minced Garlic

Chicken being basted after 90 min. with Huli-Huli sauce.

Let the chicken cook for 90 min, remove and baste with the sauce, then place back in the cooker with the lid on. Repeat after 15 min but this time leave the lid open 1/3 of the way to heat up the coals. You may want to check the meat temperature at this point to make sure it doesn’t need more than 15-30 more min in the cooker. Breast should be at near 160F and thighs near 165F. After another 15 min (two hours total cook time) pull the chicken, baste again, remove the rods and place the grill grate inside of the cooker (with gloves!). Now place the chicken on the grill for the last 10-20 min to add some char to the outside, turning every 5-10 min. When it looks good pull the chicken, pour some of the reserved sauce over the meat, and eat! As you can see below I like my chicken with more char then most. As they say in Hawaii: dis Huli-Huli chicken broke da mouth brah! Aloha!

The final product: it was awesome!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #273
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Sure does look good!
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #274
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Sure does look good!
And the bonus is I am sure Keith will approve since it includes finishing it on the grate
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #275
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

The result could turn out to be ridiculous, but I'm taken with the thought of making this and trying one of the pieces dipped at the end in Alabama white bbq sauce. I'll have to convert my old elongated Master Forge vertical smoker into a shorter, domeless, flat-topped hanging smoker first.
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #276
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
And the bonus is I am sure Keith will approve since it includes finishing it on the grate
Hope y'all had a good Memorial Day!

I do like texture from some high heat direct type of heat...whether it's in a rotisserie basket @ 400-600* or on a cooking grate @ 350-400*

I see too much chicken on here (the board in general) that looks like it's barely seen any heat or been cooked even though i'm sure it's up too temp.

Another thing is if it isn't cooked hot enough/ long enough it won't tenderize those tendons and ligaments. How many times have you ate chicken where you have those chewy tendons? ..... no thanks for me and the skin I want a little crisp but always bite through.

The chicken in the picture looks like it's going to be tender and that's what it's all about. I like the texture on it...you'll always get a little more charring with a high sugar glaze over high heat. Yea i'd tear into it!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #277
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Hope y'all had a good Memorial Day!

I do like texture from some high heat direct type of heat...whether it's in a rotisserie basket @ 400-600* or on a cooking grate @ 350-400*

I see too much chicken on here (the board in general) that looks like it's barely seen any heat or been cooked even though i'm sure it's up too temp.

Another thing is if it isn't cooked hot enough/ long enough it won't tenderize those tendons and ligaments. How many times have you ate chicken where you have those chewy tendons? ..... no thanks for me and the skin I want a little crisp but always bite through.

The chicken in the picture looks like it's going to be tender and that's what it's all about. I like the texture on it...you'll always get a little more charring with a high sugar glaze over high heat. Yea i'd tear into it!
Good to see you are back online. I was a bit worried since we had not heard from you in a couple of days! Thought maybe you were waiting at the curb for FedEx to deliver your new PBC.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #278
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Good to see you are back online. I was a bit worried since we had not heard from you in a couple of days! Thought maybe you were waiting at the curb for FedEx to deliver your new PBC.
No worries Bob i'm all good!

No haven't ordered the PB yet...still waiting for it to go on sale for 139.99!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #279
Fwismoker

Oh i hung some spares in the jimmy yesterday. I'll try to get you a pic but my buddy has them on his phone...my hands had drinks in them. Lol. Anyways they were long so instead of trimming I hung them in half. It works good for sure and holds really good on the hook. Here's the only pic i took

Gotta say i like doing my 90 minute ribs better though! Lol. Seemed like it took forever even though it was only 3-4 hours

Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #280
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Default Selling my PBC!

Well its official, I'm selling my PBC.....Yep you read that correctly!

Why?? Well there would only be one good reason........I'm gonna buy one of the shiny new ones!

As soon as my current "classic model" is sold I'm gonna put in an order for a new one with the Air Force logo on it. With all the new ones Ive seen on here as well as the new one I talked my co-worker into buying....Well, I got the itch for a new 18 gauge porcelain coated PBC!

LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #281
Fwismoker

Quote:

Why?? Well there would only be one good reason........I'm gonna buy one of the shiny new ones!

As soon as my current "classic model" is sold I'm gonna put in an order for a new one with the Air Force logo on it. With all the new ones Ive seen on here as well as the new one I talked my co-worker into buying....Well, I got the itch for a new 18 gauge porcelain coated PBC!

You could build a jimmy and a get a BigPoppa powder coated! Heck I could find you a AF logo....

Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #282
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
You could build a jimmy and a get a BigPoppa powder coated! Heck I could find you a AF logo....
Uummm no..lol
Actually I bought the 18.5 kettle with plans to make a "jimmy" but I'm not sure I would need to with a PBC. You've proven that they can cook the same. I may experiment with the PBC to see if I can get it to cook similar to the jimmy...
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #283
Fwismoker

Quote:
Uummm no..lol
Actually I bought the 18.5 kettle with plans to make a "jimmy" but I'm not sure I would need to with a PBC. You've proven that they can cook the same. I may experiment with the PBC to see if I can get it to cook similar to the jimmy...
Ah heck..save the difference and make a BP....expand your cooking options and your horizons!

Plus remember the jimmy is easy to refuel or mess with your fire.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #284
Bob C Cue

Quote:

Great call. "Aim High… Fly-Fight-Win."

Quote:
Powder coat schmowder coat. The new porcelain coating is groooovy baby!

Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #285
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Lol. I agree Bob.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it