MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #106
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Some PBC folks have gotten crispy rib ends (especially longer ribs) so here's something to consider from the folks that do a crap load of ribs per day @ chicken in a barrel

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #107
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

When I hang my ABTs the bottom one is about 2 inches above the coals and it doesn't burn up.

Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #108
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Some PBC folks have gotten crispy rib ends (especially longer ribs) so here's something to consider from the folks that do a crap load of ribs per day @ chicken in a barrel

Very interesting! If doing 4 or fewer racks you can also cut in half.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #109
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:

That's a good idea! I've only cooked ribs once so far in mine but I'll be doing 3 full spares this weekend. From my experience and from some things I've read I believe folks getting crispy ends are from a couple things. 1. Not starting the PBC correctly thus letting it get too hot. That was my biggest issue when I did mine. I didn't pay attention to the directions and ended up with a 400* cooker for the first of the cook. It eventually cooled down but took about 45 minutes to get to what I'd consider a comfortable range for ribs (300 or less). 2. People don't trim them enough. They need to be at least 2" above the coal basket and 3" is better. I believe mine were at least 2" above but I think the high temp got me. Still only the first about 1/2" was over done. The rest turned out pretty darn good, but again this was my first attempt....Here's a couple pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150421_210947.jpg (100.9 KB, 752 views)
File Type: jpg 20150421_211823.jpg (89.7 KB, 749 views)
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #110
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
what I'd consider a comfortable range for ribs (300 or less)
I'll tell you what experienced with ribs and temperature. Normally high heat doesn't matter if the distance between the meat and the heat source is sufficient. The ribs i cooked this weekend were done on a rack about 400-450 for a good chunk of the time but they were far enough away they didn't burn and were perfect.

The other way I do ribs ( my new method) the cook temp is usually 400* to 550-600* ( sometimes higher) and they don't burn. Now i wouldn't expect you to do that but I sure wouldn't be afraid of 400* Andrew if the distance to the coals was shortened....which is why those pics above have them hanging halved I would guess.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #111
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Yeah I agree. I wouldn't be worried about the 400* either if they weren't so close to the coals. But when using the PBC as it is designed, 400* is too high. Some people have complained about the ends being burnt but I believe it's due to the reasons I mentioned. I've seen too many other pictures where that didn't happen which leads me to believe they did something right.
I'm not a fan of cutting ribs in half. I guess St Louis cuts are ok. But I like to cook full spares and trim after sometimes too.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #112
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
That's a good idea! I've only cooked ribs once so far in mine but I'll be doing 3 full spares this weekend. From my experience and from some things I've read I believe folks getting crispy ends are from a couple things. 1. Not starting the PBC correctly thus letting it get too hot. That was my biggest issue when I did mine. I didn't pay attention to the directions and ended up with a 400* cooker for the first of the cook. It eventually cooled down but took about 45 minutes to get to what I'd consider a comfortable range for ribs (300 or less). 2. People don't trim them enough. They need to be at least 2" above the coal basket and 3" is better. I believe mine were at least 2" above but I think the high temp got me. Still only the first about 1/2" was over done. The rest turned out pretty darn good, but again this was my first attempt....Here's a couple pics....
Look darn tasty.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #113
northeast bbqer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Yeah I agree. I wouldn't be worried about the 400* either if they weren't so close to the coals. But when using the PBC as it is designed, 400* is too high. Some people have complained about the ends being burnt but I believe it's due to the reasons I mentioned. I've seen too many other pictures where that didn't happen which leads me to believe they did something right.
I'm not a fan of cutting ribs in half. I guess St Louis cuts are ok. But I like to cook full spares and trim after sometimes too.
If you don't trim, you're more likely to get too close to the coals. Another consideration is some people fill the firebox full (instead of 3 quarters) and then add their lit chimney, which will shorten your distance. Also, if you add wood and don't let that initial flame settle, you'll get burnt ends. Like with any other type of cooking, trial and error.
northeast bbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #114
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeast bbqer View Post
If you don't trim, you're more likely to get too close to the coals. Another consideration is some people fill the firebox full (instead of 3 quarters) and then add their lit chimney, which will shorten your distance. Also, if you add wood and don't let that initial flame settle, you'll get burnt ends. Like with any other type of cooking, trial and error.
You are right. This weekend will be the first time I do full spares in the PBC. I should probably clarify when I said I don't trim full spares. I still trim off the piece of meat on the back and take the membrane off. I usually don't trim the tips but will for this cook to ensure I'm not hitting the coals. I will probably not fill the coal basket fully like you mentioned as well. Trial and error just like you said. Thanks!
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #115
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

One should trim a rack of spares on the thin end to remove any meat that is too thin to take a 3-4 hour smoke, just like Aaron Franklin trims his briskets of thin edges because they will burn.
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #116
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
When I hang my ABTs the bottom one is about 2 inches above the coals and it doesn't burn up.

Man those ABT'S look perfectly delicious!
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 05-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #117
northeast bbqer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
One should trim a rack of spares on the thin end to remove any meat that is too thin to take a 3-4 hour smoke, just like Aaron Franklin trims his briskets of thin edges because they will burn.
I agree. Makes for a cleaner presentation too, especially after cutting.
northeast bbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #118
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
You're exactly right Andrew. Not that i matters but a standard UDS can do the identical same thing but it's just not as effective as it should be or as efficient as a regular grill like a kettle.

Anyone can do what i did to hang meat..I took a cooking grate ( I got a cheapie from Meijer) and cut out the bars except for the ones by the handle and hung rebar from handle side to handle side....the 22.5 I can do 3 rebars exactly like Chicken in a Barrel in Hawaii does. Point being these barrel cookers can be made to do everything but it's just some (as an example) like the BP can grill better. ( or like Bob's setup) Just what i like about the BP is because it's a bigger drum the outer is bigger for indirect cooking.
I'd like to see pictures of that some time. (It wouldn't have to be in this thread.) I'm thinking of getting a PBC but I'm also thinking of building a Jimmy. [And thinking is what I do best.]
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #119
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekwalker View Post
I'd like to see pictures of that some time. (It wouldn't have to be in this thread.) I'm thinking of getting a PBC but I'm also thinking of building a Jimmy. [And thinking is what I do best.]
Thank you for adding that by the way
If you are interested in build pics of the Jimmy, click the link down in fwismoker's signature. It's actually pretty cool what he did.

As far as the PBC goes, I think if you decide to get one you will be very happy with your purchase. It's really versatile cooker that will give you excellent results right out of the box. Oh and just like others cookers can be tweaked or modified to cook like a PBC, the PBC can be tweaked and/or modified to cook like other cookers as well. BUT you won't find a lot of information about tweaks or mods for the PBC because most people are happy with them just like they are......
Check out the reviews on Amazon, 4.9 of 5 stars. And the one moron that gave them 1 star obviously didn't buy one, just wrote a review saying you could build one for $50. I have no problem if that's what people believe but putting that in a product review is very poor taste in my opinion.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #120
Brew-Bq
Full Fledged Farker

Why worry about halving spares? Untrimmed meaty spares have the tendency to not cook evenly anyway. I bet halving them or hanging halfway might help. Plus w ribs you usually cut them before service anyway so presentation isnt effected.

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it