pork butt overnight storage

syndicate559

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Cooked a couple of pork butts today, but they weren't quite ready in time for dinner and we ate some turkey breast that finished earlier instead. So I'm going to save them for tomorrow and Monday. I was planning to pull them tonight before putting in the fridge, but is there any reason not too? I'd think they'd be pretty hard to pull if you refrigerated them whole, but I don't know. I've never held them overnight before.

Do you have a vacuum sealer? If so, pull it and vacuum seal it. in packages that you can simply place in boiling water to reheat and retain all the juices. If no vacuum sealer, then wrap it up whole, reheat it when you need it and then pull.

I'd pull now. I can't think of any reason to keep them whole and lots of reasons not to, not the lest of which is it's ready now and easier to pull. It's safer to cool them pulled as well as the temp of the meat is brought down much more quickly when pulled. Plus even though you already ate you know you want a couple bites now, right?

It depends on how hot they are now. How long do you have to let them cool? You can't just stick a 200 degree but in the fridge as you will run in to contamination issues. If you can't let it cool naturally over time (3-4 hours) then pull it now and lay it out in pulls so it cools quickly. Then put in ziplok or containers and in the fridge.

You could break them up in softball size chunks and that will cool quicker.

Pull, bag it (zip lock or vac), chill it in an ice water bath, put it in the fridge and be done with it.

Do you have a vacuum sealer? If so, pull it and vacuum seal it. in packages that you can simply place in boiling water to reheat and retain all the juices. If no vacuum sealer, then wrap it up whole, reheat it when you need it and then pull.
+1

Make sure to cool it down as fast as possible though. We vac seal it and then plunge it into an ice bath before fridging or freezing.

Back