Help Brothers, Pulled Pork Cook Going South

MilhouseBBQ

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Milhouse
Guys,

I think I'm royally screwed.

Had 5 butts in the deep freeze, thawed for 2-1/2 days in case that matters. Would've preferred fresh, but that's how I got them.

Tossed the 5 butts in my pellet vertical (Pitt Boss) about midnight last night, did 2 spritz an hour each, all was good, around 2am put the digital therm stick in, went to bed.

Got up at 6am, bottom were in the 165, the others ranged from 140-150, so I moved them around, went back inside, sacked out 1-1/2 hours.

Check again, the smoker was off, it overheated, still warm though.

I fired her back up, made a coffee, back outside and there's a grease fire, had to spray some water on the bottom of the unit, scrap off the drippins that built up, and fired her back up.

She's back up and running, but here's my concern now

The butts that were at 160 now at 140 and 145
The butts that were north of 140, now sitting at 125-130

And its also been 8 hours at this point since I tossed them on, I'm reading this 140 mark is critical. I was there originally, I just don't know how long I was there before my 6am check.

Do you guys think I'm screwed?

I'm a rookie, I've done like 5 cooks, biggest one to date, folks counting on me to deliver food, unsure I have an alternative.

Butts are cheap. You will get various opinions. If your exact scenario had happened to me I’d toss and start over.

If you’re on a deadline buy new meat and do a cooking show technique. Brown on all sides cover in foil add liquid and cook in oven on higher heat.

I would have no issue doing that, its 9am and I was planning on serving at 5pm after a towel wrap rest.

I'm really disappointed in this Pitt Boss.

What 16Adams said ^^^

Also, may consider investing in a wireless thermometer to avoid this situation in the future. Set a high and low alarm threshold and sleep like a baby :thumb:

I'm in agreement with 16Adams and Suds. With the uncertainty of the safety of those meats I'd pitch them and start over. It's a real bummer having to throw away meat, but if serving to others, it's not worth the risk.

Ah the downside to the unattended cook. I would say it is safe, considering you take pulled pork to such a high finishing temp anyway. However, no way you can risk it. I don't like wasting food though, so I would probably cube it up, pressure cook it, and give it to a lucky dog.

Are there directions on the cooking show technique, I searched couldn't find. Brown in a grill? What kind of liquid? What temp in the oven?

For longer term problem solving, so the cooker was off for at best 1-1/2 hours and that's if it shut off right at 6am until my 7:30 check. I then had another call it 20 or so minutes due to the fire, cleanup and getting the box back to temp.

Should the butts haven fallen that far in temp in that amount of time? This was decently priced Pitt Boss, I would think the box was insulated enough to hold some temp, wondering if the temp gauge is busted, and it was never hitting the 225-250 it was reading.

I’m betting they’re fine, that being said, I’d pitch’em...

Noooo reason to risk it!

uv got enough time. get a couple new butts, butterfly them open to make the cooking quicker, crank that outdoor oven to 300-325, with whatever setting has the highest smoke... get some smoke and color on them, and wrap in a pan with a little apple juice.

GOOD LUCK

rb

I have taken mine off to wrap at about 165 in foil added a room temp marinate The pork temp dropped to 145-150 and they always came out good Go by tenderness and how loose the bone is you will be fine

If you got above 160 you likely killed all the bad bacteria. Dropping down wouldn't really hurt much unless some bad bugs contacted the food again. General stuff in the air isn't gonna be a food illness type problem. Probably everything was fine.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

So after reading here and talking to some friends who are long time smokers, I ended up keeping the two butts that didn't drop below 145 and tossed the other 3 in the garbage, the fact that I didn't inject them factored into keeping the 2.

I kept my son on watch, ran to the meat market, picked up another butt, and 2 cases of chicken quarters.

Tossed the 2 original butts into my oven once they hit 165 which was pretty soon after I got back. They were fine, no issues, very tasty.

I did the new butt offset on my grill with a wood chip box played with the temp between 300-325, and then tossed that in the oven too, it wasn't ready when the party started but by the time I needed it, it was, and frankly we didn't eat that much of it, I have most of it in freezer bags.

I had enough time to do the quarters right, again via some tips on the brethren, soaked them in a nice brine, sweet rub with just a little heat, mopped some sauce at the end, and those turned out great as well.

I didn't take pictures, wish I did, especially the quarters, because they looked and tasted fantastic, I got a lot of compliments on those.

Back