Santa Maria Build

workingdog

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I thought I'd risk the ire and judgement of the forum and post my build. I'm doing this to practice my welding and fabricating. It's based on a Santa Maria grill I found a picture of. Please keep the responses productive and constructive. If you have some criticism or judgement, please don't post it.

Attachments

• IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_4116.jpg
    IMG_4116.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_4119.jpg
    IMG_4119.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_4122.jpg
    IMG_4122.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 539
I judge it damn cool!

Keep up the good work.

I think it looks great. Keep up the good work. For someone who just found matches according to your Brethren profile you are doing unbelievablely well! Keep posting!

HogGrog, Bob C Cue - thanks for the positive feedback. Hopefully more pictures coming soon.

That build is coming along really nice. Send more pictures as it progresses, and , of course, the first cook on it.
Wont find much judgement here, but they do taking "RAZZING" to a whole nother level; and that makes this site a lot of fun with true Brethren!

very cool! I see this as being bad azz

Most of the sides are 10 gauge, the bottoms of the fire box is 1/4". I'm going to use firebrick in the bottom of the firebox to help the floor last. The top is 12 gauge. The thing is heavy. Some on here (in another thread) suggested I should build the entire thing out of 1/4" entirely - I can't imagine how much it would have weighed.

more pictures.

Most of the sides are 10 gauge, the bottoms of the fire box is 1/4". I'm going to use firebrick in the bottom of the firebox to help the floor last. The top is 12 gauge. The thing is heavy. Some on here (in another thread) suggested I should build the entire thing out of 1/4" entirely - I can't imagine how much it would have weighed.

more pictures.

It might last longer but you don't need a ton of mass to retain heat when you're doing direct heat grilling.

Loving this! A SM grill is the one thing I want and then I think I'll be done wanting grills and smokers (yeah right...).

Looking forward to watching the progress!

I envy you crafty farkers!

I have to admit I underestimated the complexity of a closeable lid on a Santa Maria. I'm going to have to make some adjustments.
That what building your own teaches you. Experience on what really does/doesn't work for your application.
Keep it up! Very nice!
If you get stuck just ask some questions. We'll try to help if we can.

Thanks again for all the support.

Yesterday's problem was getting the bullet hinges mounted in parallel, those things are hard to work with, but my son figure out how to get them to hold still long enough to get a tack on them.

Today's challenges are

1) that the shear at the metal supply house has a bad habit of warping the pieces it cuts. The door for the smoker has a big curve in it. To big to leave alone - like 1/4" in the middle. So, I've got to figure out how to take the curve out before I struggle with the bullet hinges on the smoker. And the 10 gauge is thick enough (1/8") that I can't just lean on it and bend it back. And it need to be pretty damn straight.

2) The lid has to close over the grill but inside the lifting mechanism. Before I fully understood the issue, I made the lid a little proud of the firebox frame, and now I'm regretting that (and see why the box tube on the bottom of the lid in the original I"m copying was so small) and I'm having to figure out how to mount the uprights of the lifting mechanism to the side of the firebox with enough room for the lid to clear and still not look too ridiculous - all while accommodating the draft box from the firebox into the smoker and it's damper mechanism - which now needs to be undone a little.

3) draft box between the fire box and smoker. Original design was 90% okay, but not 100%. So, have to un-make some stuff and figure out if I really need the top of the draft box removable so that in the future I can service the flue mechanism - because making it removable has caused all kinds of problems. Or if I can just weld it on. In addition, trying to figure out how to locate the damper in the box and make it have some turning resistance without locking it in permanently. Pictures show the original simple and I was just going to weld the top on, and the version with angle iron so I can screw the top down. But, the angle iron is getting in the way of the damper and the upright is going to sit right there as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_4132.jpg
    IMG_4132.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 299
Yesterday's problem was getting the bullet hinges mounted in parallel, those things are hard to work with, but my son figure out how to get them to hold still long enough to get a tack on them.
Use magnets to set/hold the hinges in place till you tack weld them. Use a long level to adjust to level. Tapping/adjusting into place.

Today's challenges are

1) that the shear at the metal supply house has a bad habit of warping the pieces it cuts. The door for the smoker has a big curve in it. To big to leave alone - like 1/4" in the middle. So, I've got to figure out how to take the curve out before I struggle with the bullet hinges on the smoker. And the 10 gauge is thick enough (1/8") that I can't just lean on it and bend it back. And it need to be pretty damn straight.
Do you have a set of torches? You don't want to use a small tip, at least a #4 or rosebud tip. Lightly heat in circular direction. This will not only heat and shrink the metal. ( it is bent/stretched so it needs to shrink). Then hammer and dolly that thing back flat. This should take at least 3 tries. So don't expect it the first time. Lightly hammer from the center outward.

2) The lid has to close over the grill but inside the lifting mechanism. Before I fully understood the issue, I made the lid a little proud of the firebox frame, and now I'm regretting that (and see why the box tube on the bottom of the lid in the original I"m copying was so small) and I'm having to figure out how to mount the uprights of the lifting mechanism to the side of the firebox with enough room for the lid to clear and still not look too ridiculous - all while accommodating the draft box from the firebox into the smoker and it's damper mechanism - which now needs to be undone a little.
Are you attaching the lid to the cooking grate? Your hinges? So the lid open/closes no matter the position of the cooking grate.

3) draft box between the fire box and smoker. Original design was 90% okay, but not 100%. So, have to un-make some stuff and figure out if I really need the top of the draft box removable so that in the future I can service the flue mechanism - because making it removable has caused all kinds of problems. Or if I can just weld it on. In addition, trying to figure out how to locate the damper in the box and make it have some turning resistance without locking it in permanently. Pictures show the original simple and I was just going to weld the top on, and the version with angle iron so I can screw the top down. But, the angle iron is getting in the way of the damper and the upright is going to sit right there as well.
Do you really need/want a flue/flapper? So much easier to make a sliding block off door with a handle you push/pull for your adjustment. Just a thought

Get some quality magnets that will hold a couple lbs each. 2 in x 1 in with a good shoulder with small plastic handle. HD has lots to choose from.
For your uprights, you want those close to the hood/cook grate mostly for looks. But also to stop any flexing. I need more photo's details before venturing into what help I can offer.
Hope that helps.

• Thanks
Reactions: NZ
I'd like to offer some criticism and judgement.

Nice work, keep it up.

Back