MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #46
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I might need that recipe if you care to share it.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert - Easy as can be!

- 1 Cup melted Bacon Fat (Or a combo of Bacon Fat and Vegetable Oil)

- 1 Whole egg plus an additional egg yolk.

- Juice of 1/2 Lemon (About 1.5 TBS)

- Pinch of Kosher Salt to taste

- Couple of Grinds Fresh Black Pepper

- Teaspoon Dijon Mustard

- Optional (3 peeled raw Garlic Cloves for Garlic Mayo)

Put everything except the fat into a bar blender and pulse over low speed to combine. Once incorporated, turn the blender to medium and slowly start dripping the fat into the running blender from the top. It should start emulsifying into a thick sauce. Scrape down the sides with a spatula a couple of times and keep going until all of the fat is incorporated. Without Garlic it should keep for a couple of weeks in your refrigerator. With Garlic I would use within 3 to 5 days refrigerated.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #47
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

1) More of an anti-hack really, but...

Beer can chicken is a dang myth with no scientific basis. Ditch the beer can, keep the rack/holder. You'll notice your chicken is every bit as moist and tender as it was when you used the beer can. It's not because of the beer, it is because vertical grilling a whole bird absolutely rocks!

2) An easy way to make an absolutely rocking pot of beans is to use half low-sodium chicken stock and half beer instead of water. Choose a beer than has flavor, but not TOO much flavor. Nothing hoppy for heaven's sake. Something in that sweet spot between Natty Light and that quadruple IPA that your homebrewer buddy says "tastes like drinking pine needles and grapefruit rinds...but in the best possible way".

3) A lot of you guys might already do this, but in case you don't....when cooking several different types of meats that have different start/finish times, write down a schedule! I did a cook last 4th of July that involved nekkid pork ribs, wrapped pork ribs, beef ribs, sausage, grilled wings, and hot dogs. Every single one of these things had a different time that it needed to go on the smoker or grill, as well as some that involved foiling, unfoiling, spritzing, brushing with sauce, etc. It is all too easy to lose track of what needs to happen when while socializing and enjoying one or two () cold beers. Scrawl it down on a little sheet of paper and tape it to your picnic table or whatever:

7am - fire up the stickburner
730am - put beef ribs on
9am - put pork ribs on
12pm - foil and pan beef ribs, wrap two of the pork ribs
1pm - unfoil pork ribs, put on sausage
230pm - sauce pork ribs, check beef ribs
3pm - all ribs should be done

etc, etc
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #48
BGEChicago
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : none

^^^^^^ That is one damn sharp knife^^^^^^ also steady hand and solid knife skills!
BGEChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #49
jacobp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
When using a cutting board only let the very tip of your knife touch it, your knife will pull thru meats and vegetables with ease and stays sharp. It is taking me a little bit of training to remember to not set the blade down flat
disagree with this one. there are times you need to use all parts of the knife, depending on what you're cutting. Regular honing will keep you blade just fine in between sharpenings.
jacobp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #50
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

How could I have forgotten this one?? It absolutely changed my game. Welding gloves! Get you a pair of super heavy duty, long ones that have a high temperature rating and reach way up your arm. I use mine every cook. Oops, I dropped a huge flaming chunk of wood on the ground! No biggie, I'll just put on my glove and grab that sucker. Lemme just reach into the firebox here and adjust my splits perfectly. Boom! You're like a fire-resistant superhero with these things. Look to spend like 20-30 bucks at least for a good pair.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:27 PM   #51
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
I get them at the Webstaurant Store, $6.49 for 100. But they keep raising their shipping charges, so I stock up when I buy other items.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bak...99SLINER2.html

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #52
Bigpappa1
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Zachary

This might be my favorite thread of all time...

1) For meat too big to fit on your smoker or grill (usually only a problem for Weber owners like myself): put a wood chunk under the center to pull it up and bring the ends inward.

2) Again for WSM owners: cleanup after a cook can be a pain as it takes forever for the chamber and water to cool down. Take the middle section off, place it on the ground, and place your lid right on top of the charcoal bowl. It will stay there and then the coals go out faster and the middle section cools off in no time. you can even leave it that way to avoid mold.

3) This isn't new or anything, but if you have a Weber kettle and want a cheap way to do a more defined two-zone smoke, just put two paver bricks in the middle of the kettle. Hot charcoal on one side, indirect on the other.
Bigpappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #53
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpappa1 View Post
This might be my favorite thread in the past month since I joined......
FiFY

Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #54
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Dupe post.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #55
Bigpappa1
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Zachary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
FiFY

No, I meant of all time (this isn't exactly the first bbq forum I've ever been a part of or seen).
Bigpappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #56
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
No, I meant of all time (this isn't exactly the first bbq forum I've ever been a part of or seen).
Well, then we are glad you finally found this forum!

Old 02-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #57
thirdeye

Quote:
This might be my favorite thread of all time...

1) For meat too big to fit on your smoker or grill (usually only a problem for Weber owners like myself): put a wood chunk under the center to pull it up and bring the ends inward.
Years ago on another forum I suggested that a guy "stick a beer can under the brisket, and take it out later". He replied the next day that it worked fine, but next time he would use an empty beer can.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #58
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Years ago on another forum I suggested that a guy "stick a beer can under the brisket, and take it out later". He replied the next day that it worked fine, but next time he would use an empty beer can.
I dunno thirdeye, maybe he is on to something...pseudo-science be damned, I think he may have invented the first beer can brisket!

Old 02-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #59
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

When firing up a chimney of briquettes put several wood chunks or mini splits on top. Gets the grill or smoker to TBS much quicker.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #60
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxQGuy View Post
I dunno thirdeye, maybe he is on to something...pseudo-science be damned, I think he may have invented the first beer can brisket!

Hmmmm...

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote