MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry
Default Blackstone 36" Griddle

I'm considering buying a Blackstone 36" griddle.
I love cooking on a flat top, but currently only have a couple of electric griddles that aren't nearly large enough or hot enough. I bought them when we were still boating, living at the boat club most weekends and a week or two at a time through the summer, so they served their purpose as well as possible but I think it may be time to upgrade the backyard cooking arsenal.

Some of the questions I've come up with are:
Should I consider any other brands?
Once seasoned, what is the expected maintenance? i.e. Re-seasoning intervals.
Other than a hard cover, what are the must have accessories?
Once seasoned, left covered outside, will it rust?
Are there any other concerns or considerations I should make?

Thanks All!
Terry

Old 10-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Terry,

Prior to getting mine, I found the following thread to be a great trove of information and answers a number of your questions as well as a few more:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=215789

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffettFan View Post
Should I consider any other brands?
I don't know.

Quote:
Once seasoned, what is the expected maintenance? i.e. Re-seasoning intervals.
I bought and seasoned in March 2018 and I have not reseasoned yet. I do apply oil before I cook anything that's not fatty (such as pancakes). For burgers I use 80-20 and I don't oil the surface.

Quote:
Other than a hard cover, what are the must have accessories?
Something to scrape the surface after cooking. There are accessory kits you can get, but for me, two stiff spatulas to cook with and a scraping device.

Quote:
Once seasoned, left covered outside, will it rust?
Mine has not.

Quote:
Are there any other concerns or considerations I should make?
Yeah- enjoy the heck out of it!!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Earlier this summer I was in the flat top market. I did the typical Internet search. Ended up buying a Camp Chef. Honestly, I think there both pretty good. I want CC due to perceived grease drain/mgmt issues and adjustable legs. You’ll enjoy either - a flat top is super handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
Joshw
Babbling Farker

The new rear grease drain on BS has eliminated drain issues. It works very well. I was worried it would be harder to clean, with rear drain, but I really like it. I bought the BS accessory kit with mine. Comes with a couple of spatulas, 2 squeeze bottles, and a scrapper. Only thing you really have to have, other than the cover, is a squeeze bottle, and some long handled spatulas. The thing gets hot, and you want to keep your hands as far away from the surface as possible. I actually use my spatulas to scrape. You want spatulas with rounded corners, so you aren't scratching your seasoning.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Regarding accessories, I forgot to mention that an infrared thermometer is immensely helpful for consistency of temperatures. I got one from Home Depot for around $20. This thing helps so much:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...T205/303305337

Old 10-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all of the info guys!
Bill, I did a quick speed read of that thread over lunch, Very helpful, thank you!
Tom, thank you for the direct answers, again Very Helpful!
I did a bit more internet research as well and I have to admit, now I'm stumped between the Camp Chef and the Blackstone. Each has features that I prefer over the other.
One thing I saw in the thread was someone was using the just the cooktop from one on his existing gas grill. That may be an option for me as well, and pretty low cost at that, as I could build it myself. Something else to think about.
Would still love to hear some more opinions.
Thanks All!

Old 10-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

- You can consider other brands, camp chef is probably the closest
- Once seasoned, only need to reseason is if you mess it up. I've had mine 3 years and just re-seasoned it for the first time after some spots wore off and rusted a tad. I clean mine and do a real thin coat of oil after each use but am notoriously bad about the cover. I also cook smashburgers with no oil to help them stick and form a great crust, so that's a bit rough on the seasoning.
- Rust should not be a concern if you maintain it well, like I said I'm bad at using the cover and have just now had some rust after a few years
- As for other concerns, the thing is pretty susceptible to wind. Ideally it'll be in a spot without a big cross breeze as it can cause it to not get as much heat.

At the end of the day, I love my blackstone. I use it multiple times a week for things like smashburgers, street cart chicken, fajitas, habachi cooking, breakfast food, etc. It's probably my favorite cooking device.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #9
retfr8flyr
Full Fledged Farker

I have the Camp Chef 600 and I have been extremely happy with it. Two of the features I liked over the Blackstone were the individual igniters and the fact that it is a gas grill. as well as a griddle. I have pulled the top off and used the grill part many times and it is a nice added feature.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by highergr0und View Post
- street cart chicken

Wait what??? Maybe a separate thread but is there any way you can post your recipe? Sounds good.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #11
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

One alternative to the hard cover. I inverted a large stainless steel mixing on top of the griddle and then put the Blackstone soft cover on it. Water now runs off vs pooling as it did without the bowl. I've had it for a few years without any rusting problems or re-seasoning with that solution.

Now, ability to keep the mouse/chipmunk poop off it is a different topic

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #12
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweverett View Post
One alternative to the hard cover. I inverted a large stainless steel mixing on top of the griddle and then put the Blackstone soft cover on it. Water now runs off vs pooling as it did without the bowl. I've had it for a few years without any rusting problems or re-seasoning with that solution.

Now, ability to keep the mouse/chipmunk poop off it is a different topic
I do this when I cover it. I use a little plastic bucket from my kids sandbox.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #13
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabnabber View Post
Wait what??? Maybe a separate thread but is there any way you can post your recipe? Sounds good.
Google street cart chicken, serious eats, and make all that

Then google chef john's harissa sauce, make it, and apply it mixed with the white sauce on the plate.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #14
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I have the 36" Blackstone and really love it. Here are some easy steam pans to put together...
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...3&postcount=41

My homemade smoosher...
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...97&postcount=9

I wipe the griddle down after each use, and treat it like cast iron. I have the hard cover and it really keeps the thing clean and dry between cooks.

Here's more info...
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...ght=blackstone

Good luck with what ever you go with Terry. Griddles are mighty handy to have.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #15
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Great links, Jeanie, Thank you!

I did some more youtube research last night and found some hopefully non-biased side by side comparisons.
Both were smaller, supposedly non-sponsored channels. One was MoJo's Cooking or something like that, the others, I honestly don't recall the names of.
One feature that I thought gave BS the edge was the higher BTU rating, 60K vs 48K. The MoJo channel mentioned that their BS had warped somewhat causing the grease to pool in areas on the cooktop, while the CC had not. Both tops were made of 7 gauge (.187") steel, so the variables are the amount of heat and the construction of the top. The BS has angle iron stiffeners while the CC has a diffuser plate to distribute the heat more evenly.
On one hand, the diffuser would be nice when you are using the entire surface, but I wonder if it would make it harder to have different heat zones.
So, 2 new questions that have popped up are has anyone else experienced warping on their BS and have any CC owners noticed an issue of trying to control different temps on the cooktop, cooking vs warming?
Normally, I don't do near this much research before buying something, but I know my wife is going to have a fit when this thing shows up, so I want to make sure I get the best one to make it worth it. I may have to sleep on the thing for a couple of nights!
At least until I cook her breakfast on it.

Thanks All!
Terry