cooking a hot dog

That sounds similar to Nathans natural casing. The key to a great dog is not over cooking it. That snap, is when all the juices explode in your mouth. I would love to try this Smiths you talk about. We also have Boars Head natural casing, but Nathans is way better, and cheaper.

If you’re ever curious enough they ship! https://www.smithhotdogs.com/

Dirty water dogs. Heat water to just below boiling. Drop in your dogs & let em cook for about 15 minutes. Bun, dog, mustard, onion, relish, tomato, pickle, celery salt, sport peppers. The modern day Chicago Hot Dog.

Or try the original Chicago Dog, AKA the Depression Dog, before someone added all the other stuff. Made famous by Gene & Jude's in River Grove IL and Nana's in Streamwood IL. Nana was Gene's daughter.

Bun, dog, mustard, onion, relish, sport peppers & fresh cut fries piled on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VppCPxtlQ4Q

I suspect this guy is from Chicago, I'm also am guessing he only uses Vienna brand hot dogs :shocked::shocked:

Andy, your the best!

Thanks,
Greg

I suspect this guy is from Chicago, I'm also am guessing he only uses Vienna brand hot dogs :shocked::shocked:

What's sad is that the Vienna dogs you buy in the store are all skinless. I think you have to hit RD for the natural casing dogs.

That's probably why the dogs at the hot dog joints are tastier than what you can make at home. You just don't get that snap.

Have you ever tried a Nathans natural casing? I will have to order Smith's one day, I am a hot dog connoisseur. My hot dog of choice is brown spicy deli mustard and sauerkraut.

Never tried the natural casing Nathan's as they do not stock them around here. Would love to give them a shot. I do prefer Nathan's regular all beef dogs over all else available to me though. Flavor can't be beat.

Robert

No bun no problem, split them and a little browning in a skillet then onto lite bread, mustard and also toasted lite bread works well also, wrapped in foil you can take a few on a picnic without much refrigeration needed lol

I like to spiral them and cook in a cast iron skillet. My favorite seasoning is a light coat of celery salt, or some garlic pepper. But pretty much anything you get into the cuts makes for a great dog.

WOiZp.jpg

That looks perfect. How did you achieve the spiral cut? A knife or something dedicated to that?

Bun, dog, mustard, onion, relish, tomato, pickle, celery salt, sport peppers. The modern day Chicago Hot Dog.

I have the fixin's for Chicago dogs except for the buns. To be authentic they need to be S.Rosen's poppy seed buns and they're only sold by the case. Haven't yet found an alternative.

I love that we have 30 posts on cooking a hot dog :-D

I have a hankering for hot dogs and beans for a quick quarantine dinner, but the grills haven't been uncovered and cleaned yet and I think I need fuel for them. What alternative method works best if I can't grill them? Boil, microwave, oven broil, skillet?

Since you want(ed) hot dogs and beans, why not just cut them up and heat them in the beans?

My favorite is a char-dog, but for a traditional Chicago dog, we steam them.

That looks perfect. How did you achieve the spiral cut? A knife or something dedicated to that?

These were done with the original method, you insert a bamboo skewer through the dog from end to end, then hold your knife at an angle and rotate the dog. The skewer stops you from slicing through. I've done so many that I can do it free-hand now, but the cut is not quite as deep. It still allows for seasoning and condiments into the cut.

We are fortunate to be able to buy Vienna beef hot dogs where I live, by the case. I steam them - 12 minutes, bun (which I don't think you need here) for about a minute.

I've been a fan of hot dogs my whole life. Boiled, grilled, smoked, fried, cut in half and fried - for me, steam wins.

Have you ever tried a Nathans natural casing? I will have to order Smith's one day, I am a hot dog connoisseur. My hot dog of choice is brown spicy deli mustard and sauerkraut.

Yes I have and I still like my Smiths. Sauerkraut is my favorite too. I make 10 gallons of my own every fall with local cabbage. Last the whole year in quart mason jars in the spare fridge.

I love that we have 30 posts on cooking a hot dog :-D

Since you want(ed) hot dogs and beans, why not just cut them up and heat them in the beans?

A hot dog is all about the condiments. Sauerkraut and mustard don't accompany New England baked beans well :wink:

Dirty water dogs. Heat water to just below boiling. Drop in your dogs & let em cook for about 15 minutes. Bun, dog, mustard, onion, relish, tomato, pickle, celery salt, sport peppers. The modern day Chicago Hot Dog.

Or try the original Chicago Dog, AKA the Depression Dog, before someone added all the other stuff. Made famous by Gene & Jude's in River Grove IL and Nana's in Streamwood IL. Nana was Gene's daughter.

Bun, dog, mustard, onion, relish, sport peppers & fresh cut fries piled on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VppCPxtlQ4Q

Andy,
Don't forget Jimmy's at Grand and Pulaski.

You fellas need to order some Pearl's hot dogs,then get back to me.Simmer in beer and onions,toss on the grill for a mark or two,toss on a split top bun,top with the beer onions and French's mustard.That's it,I'm out.

Not a fan of a dog covered in batter and fried but to each their own...

I like mine lightly boiled and then browned in a cast iron pan... with ketchup. :becky:

Back