MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
I'm in the "buy once" camp. I researched stones for a year, and read consumer comments until my eyes were ready to fall out of my head. Repeated complaints of stones cracking. Some brands more than others, but I decided I'd rather pay a little more, and do this thing one time. Great reviews on Amazon, as well as some of the folks here. I've been very happy with the results. Amazon.com: Lodge Pro-Logic P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch: Kitchen & Dining
This!

I bought the same one, paid less at Wally world. But yeah, just buy once, dont worry about it cracking. And you could use it for other cooks, fajitas, pancakes etc.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

$99 seems expensive. I got my xl stone from a BGE store for $75. Definitely worth it.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
I'm in the "buy once" camp. I researched stones for a year, and read consumer comments until my eyes were ready to fall out of my head. Repeated complaints of stones cracking. Some brands more than others, but I decided I'd rather pay a little more, and do this thing one time. Great reviews on Amazon, as well as some of the folks here. I've been very happy with the results. Amazon.com: Lodge Pro-Logic P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch: Kitchen & Dining
agreed. word on the street is that's a good stone.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I have one from the ceramic grill store Worked great as a heat deflector until I dropped t Had to get another from the same place
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #20
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodoChild View Post
I too was looking for a "good Pizza stone " My wife when she was out picked up the 16.00 one not really knowing there are different ones.
When I opened it I thought it was gonna break one the first use ... I have had it for 2 years nows and it works good !1 .. When this one does break Ill look at the nicer ones ... But thought Id chime in on my expererience with a cheaper cost model.

That looks exactly like my set up: firebricks under the stone. I too bought a cheap stone expecting it to break quickly, but it's been going 3 years now.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
This company makes stones specifically for the grill.

Fribrament They seem to be reasonably priced.
+1. I've had a fibrament stone for a couple of years and have been really happy with it.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the Lodge CI pizza pan and love it. (Actually, I have two.) Shop around though, the link Tish sent shows them for $59.99. I got mine through Amazon, but I paid around $35 or $40 per pan.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong but, in general, don't kiln shelves have insulating properties and are not meant to absorb and retain heat which is quite the opposite of what pizza stones do?
Some kiln shelves are made of Cordierite. Cordierite is a common material for pizza stones.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #24
jojosbbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

I've had the Primo stone for at least a year without any issues. I think it was about $60.
jojosbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #25
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

One think that might be worth considering is having a stone cut from 3/4 inch countertop scrap granite. I bought one off a guy on CL and it's served me really well in the oven and at temps up to 600 degrees. So far I have 3 years of regular cooking on it and there's no sign of cracking anywhere.

One side is polished, which is the side that goes down, and the rough unfinished side is your cooking surface.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #26
Jukas
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
$99 seems expensive. I got my xl stone from a BGE store for $75. Definitely worth it.
Yeah, I'm rapidly finding I don't care for this authorized dealer all that much. When I was shopping they gave me a "we just heard that prices are increasing on March 1st" speil. None of the other authorized dealers I called had heard anything like and when I was in there two days ago the prices were all the same. I was planning on buying the day I did anyways, afterwards it felt like a slippery sales tactic.

All their accessories are dramatically higher too.. basic nest wing shelves $180, stone $100, 20lbs bag of bge lump $38.

I never even thought to look for a cast iron one, so that's probably the route I'll go as I love cooking on CI stuff.

Thanks for the input all!
Jukas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #27
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Yeah, I'm rapidly finding I don't care for this authorized dealer all that much. When I was shopping they gave me a "we just heard that prices are increasing on March 1st" speil. None of the other authorized dealers I called had heard anything like and when I was in there two days ago the prices were all the same. I was planning on buying the day I did anyways, afterwards it felt like a slippery sales tactic.

All their accessories are dramatically higher too.. basic nest wing shelves $180, stone $100, 20lbs bag of bge lump $38.

I never even thought to look for a cast iron one, so that's probably the route I'll go as I love cooking on CI stuff.

Thanks for the input all!
If you do decide to go CI, the brethren are right about it going for less elsewhere. Shop around, and you'll get a great price, I'm sure. Even for the price I paid, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #28
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I'm curious if anyone is using firebrick in place of a pizza stone.

These are 1 1/4" thick. I'm sure they will take longer than a proper pizza stone to heat up, but I can get them over 500°F in a Weber kettle. I used a CI tortilla griddle in the cook above because I didn't have a peel and it worked OK. I have a peel now and the next pizza will go directly on the firebrick. These were $15 at Menards.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #29
smokeinthenoke
On the road to being a farker

The wife gave me this for valentines day. I've used other stones before, but this one is by far the best I've ever seen. http://www.emilehenryusa.com/Pizza-S...plu717512.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-27 11.13.00.jpg (97.4 KB, 79 views)
smokeinthenoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #30
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Cooking the pizzas directly on the firebrick was less than fully successful. The top of the brick hit about 680°F and the lid thermometer read about 500°F. That resulted in some charring of the crust w/out browning the cheese on top. It was still good, but not good enough. I did the second and third pies on the tortilla griddles and they came out good. The CI helps to moderate the neat from the fire brick on the bottom providing sufficient time for the top to cook fully.