Lamb Breast??? What To Do With It???

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just noticed that Wally World here has lamb breast for just under $2 per lb. Seems like a good price, but then again I know nothing about lamb. The package contains two pieces. They look like the lamb equivalent of a rack of St Louis cut spare ribs, and the rib tips that were cut off. The rib portion is actually a little smaller.

Is this a good cut for Q? If so do I treat it just like pork ribs?

Thanks in advance!

You will need to grill them.

If you treat them as a pork rib, you will not be happy at all. I tried it last year and had to throw them away. They looked awesome, but a few bites in had me feeling nauseous with the fat. Coming from me, that's saying something because it's never happened to me before.

So.... Salt, Pepper EVOO, Rosemary, Garlic, and on the grill direct. Enjoy.

Cheers!

Bill

You will need to grill them.

If you treat them as a pork rib, you will not be happy at all. I tried it last year and had to throw them away. They looked awesome, but a few bites in had me feeling nauseous with the fat. Coming from me, that's saying something because it's never happened to me before.

So.... Salt, Pepper EVOO, Rosemary, Garlic, and on the grill direct. Enjoy.

Cheers!

Bill

Wow quick answer! Thanks. Do you think that even if I smoked them at 350* the fat would still be too much?

I cook them low and slow and let the fat render out. Then I put a little char on them over direct heat. This is the only way I have done them but I think if you just grill them a lot less fat will render out of them. Any way you do them be prepared for very fatty/greasy eating. I like them but only eat them once in a while because of the grease.

Maybe I'll try em on the drum with no diffuser. That way they will still be getting direct heat, just higher above it.

If yours have a thick fat layer like the ones I get I score the top at 1/2" to let it render out and provide more surface space to crisp up. Let us know how they come out.

Maybe I'll try em on the drum with no diffuser. That way they will still be getting direct heat, just higher above it.

thats a lot of grease dripping down onto the coals, will all that burning grease throw a bad flavor?

Never heard of lamb breast. If it were veal breast, those you stuff with an egg-based stuffing (lots of eggs, bread crumbs, and bits of sausage, ham or other meat) and bake (smoke). Then when it's done you treat it like a prime rib roast and slice it thick (1-2"). Basically, you're eating the stuffing that has been infused with the veal juices wrapped by a relatively thin layer of veal on the outside. This is a delicacy. I expect lamb breast is cooked the same. You could just grill it as is, but I don't think that's really what it's meant for.

ive bbq them before.....just gotta trim a bit of the fat off before you cook.
my brothers slaughtering a sheep on sunday.......ill hack off some of the ribs and show you how good they can be.

Back