MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
jimepp
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : jimm
Default Suggestion for chicken bbq sauce

I would love to learn how to make an unforgettable chicken bbq sauce. Suggestion anyone?
My friend once brought a take-out chicken bbq for me from an unknown restaurant. I really loved the sauce. It has soy sauce of course but it has sort of tangerine and honey sweet taste that blended with salty essence. I hope I can create such sauce too.
jimepp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Dom Mazzetti
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Zach

i recently started using Alabama white sauce on chicken and love it.
Dom Mazzetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

I love a combination of sweet Memphis and Vinegary Eastern Carolina sauce on my chicken. We normally achieve this by combining commercial sauces and doctoring it up with some spices. Tangerine flavor in bbq sauce? That's different I could see that being good.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I take two directions with chicken, Sauce, or a seasoning called Chef Merito's Chicken seasoning.

Sauce, I take a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays, dump it in a sealable glass bowl, and add,
1 tsp - Granulated Garlic
1 tsp - Onion Powder
1 tsp - Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 tsp - Fine ground Black Pepper
1/4 cup of Honey. I like Sage or Clover Honey.

Mix well, cover, and let stand. I like overnight. Often I will return it to the SBR squeeze bottle and mark the cap "Mixed".
Letting it stand allows the flavors to bloom into the sauce.
This is my signature BBQing sauce. Goes well on anything.
I paint it on thinly and let it cook on.

The Chef Merito's I use to make BBQ'd or Air Fried chicken. Simple and easy, but I use it lightly. Too much makes the Chicken too salty for my tastes. (A common problem with store bought rubs and seasonings.)

Have fun, and develop your own favorite sauces or combinations.
I also make a simple SPOG seasoning.
1 tsp - Kosher Salt, Or a salt substitute.
1 tsp - Ground Pepper
1 tsp - Garlic Powder
1 tsp - Onion Powder

Grind in a Mortor and Pestle to a powdery consistency. I put mine in a screw top plastic small bowl. Then pinch apply it to Pork or Beef.
But the SPOG is all blended and ground together. Great, simple taste.

You can do it! Just think about the flavors you like, then put them together.
Wa-La!

Old 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepp View Post
I would love to learn how to make an unforgettable chicken bbq sauce. Suggestion anyone?
My friend once brought a take-out chicken bbq for me from an unknown restaurant. I really loved the sauce. It has soy sauce of course but it has sort of tangerine and honey sweet taste that blended with salty essence. I hope I can create such sauce too.

It's hard to decode without tasting the sauce for ourselves, but what you describe sound similar to a sweet orange teriyaki sauce (soy, orange, honey).

I guess the question is what are you trying to achieve with your chicken? Are to trying to replicate something specific, or just try something different?

There are literally hundreds of great brines, marinades, and sauces out there to try. Some impart moisture, some impart flavor, some do a little of both.

If you are looking to boost the natural flavor of the chicken without covering it up and impart moisture into the bird; I would suggest Dr. Baker's Cornell Chicken.

In the booklet below, they refer to it as a sauce, but it's more of a marinade with some ingredients for a brine.
https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstre...=2&isAllowed=y

A couple important notes:

1) you must keep the chicken in the liquid, refrigerated for as close to 24 hours as possible (zip-lock bags work well and eliminate waste).
2) you need to cook over extremely hot coals, shuttling between direct and indirect heat to facilitate even cooking of the poultry.

Many Firehouses and Churches cook this type of chicken halves/quarters as a take-out fundraiser in Central and Western New York State. It has become so popular that tickets to purchase a dinner are completely sold out weeks and even a month before the actual event takes place.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

That cornell is good stuff
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Sounds like orange chicken. Not sure i would call it bbq chicken. Was it dark in color or light?

Tags
bbq, chicken, sauce