MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William
Default Question about turkey skin.

I'm going to brine two turkeys breasts this year and was thinking about trying them without the skin. I've never removed the skin from turkey before. Would this run the risk of drying them out or making them too salty or tough? I'm only brining for 4hrs max. Thanks.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

I guess if you dont get a reply after 12hrs it was a dumb question. I think I will stick with what I know, skin on. Two days before Thanksgiving isn't the time to experiment.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!

Old 11-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

First time I seen your question. I don't know why you would want to remove the best part of any bird. Don't think salt would be a problem, but it will dry out faster. If you do it, I would cover it with bacon, to keep it moist, but I like the skin too much, to even think about that.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
First time I seen your question. I don't know why you would want to remove the best part of any bird. Don't think salt would be a problem, but it will dry out faster. If you do it, I would cover it with bacon, to keep it moist, but I like the skin too much, to even think about that.
I love the skin. I was just wondering if the flavor would be enhanced anymore without it. I'm leaving it on.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
I love the skin. I was just wondering if the flavor would be enhanced anymore without it. I'm leaving it on.
I would leave skin on, and run your fingers underneath, to separate from the meat, then season under skin. best of both worlds.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

William the one I did other day wasn’t tough or dry. The meat had more of a smoke flavor and absorbed more of the seasoning. I also basted it every 20 minutes with seasoned butter I made up starting when the external temp hit 150° until it was done. Nearly all the BBQ joints around here that do breast remove the skin.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #7
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Leave it on. I removed it once and paid the price. Dry bird and too tough a texture on outside 1/8” of meat. And IMHO turkey is bad enough already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #8
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've done skinless turkey breast before and really like it. I cook indirect until about 130 and then wrap with some butter. it's based off an Aaron Franklin recipe

Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

So a few things I've put together over the years:
  • Use the "boiling water trick" on the skin. It works.
  • Oil the skin of the bird. It helps heat transfer and is what you need to render the fat so the skin can crisp.
  • Baste with butter/oil during the cook. If it still looks oily from the last time, no need to baste unless it looks dry.
  • Cook at 375°. Low temps will dry out the skin before it can render, leaving you with leathery skin.

I have had some really incredible, juicy birds come out at 375°. Everyone owes it to themselves at least once to cook at that temp. Definitely keep a probe in it because it will really gain temp quick in the late stages of the cook.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
BBQ Nuts
On the road to being a farker

Try 1 each way and then you can decide which you like better?
BBQ Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
HannahHoney
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
So a few things I've put together over the years:
  • Use the "boiling water trick" on the skin. It works.
  • Oil the skin of the bird. It helps heat transfer and is what you need to render the fat so the skin can crisp.
  • Baste with butter/oil during the cook. If it still looks oily from the last time, no need to baste unless it looks dry.
  • Cook at 375°. Low temps will dry out the skin before it can render, leaving you with leathery skin.

I have had some really incredible, juicy birds come out at 375°. Everyone owes it to themselves at least once to cook at that temp. Definitely keep a probe in it because it will really gain temp quick in the late stages of the cook.

Your ideas are great, thanks!
HannahHoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahHoney View Post
Your ideas are great, thanks!
You're welcome. The guidance for 375° came from here:

https://www.sfgate.com/recipes/artic...ey-2548466.php

Since pellet cookers are essentially wood-fired convection ovens, it works GREAT.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote