MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:23 PM   #31
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone know the story behind their controller? I've heard their claim to fame is they put out more smoke than any other pellet grill on the market. Is it one of those half PID controllers that allow for more temp swings? Also, why is WiFi $300 extra?
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #32
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
Anyone know the story behind their controller? I've heard their claim to fame is they put out more smoke than any other pellet grill on the market. Is it one of those half PID controllers that allow for more temp swings? Also, why is WiFi $300 extra?
Extra and even though the grill ships from the factory you need to install the unit yourself.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 11:40 PM   #33
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Rwalters, can you nudge them for a mini-mak for me?

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-26-2020, 11:52 PM   #34
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
Rwalters, can you nudge them for a mini-mak for me?

Trying buddy :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2020, 12:07 AM   #35
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Depending on the discount, I might be able to be coaxed into upgrading to a newer model with some of the features I’ve been longing for.
If you are selling YOUR MAK, please let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Hopefully they sell MAK’s and not MAC’s... lol [emoji12]
No kidding. This Coronavirus is really screwing with Apple. The office bought me a new macbook pro, and it's been delayed with no ETA in sight ) =
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 12:26 AM   #36
rwalters

Quote:

Good question. What I do know is that their controller is proprietary to them. It keeps a fairly tight temp range, but does allow for a bit of swing. On the Smoke setting, it swings between 170-190°... and as you go up from there, the swing tightens up. I have cooked on other pellet cookers, and I have yet to see one that smokes like the MAK. I do know that maximum smoke production was a top priority at the inception of MAK Grills, and 10 years later nothing seems to have changed. As far as charging extra for the WiFi module, I don’t have the reasoning behind that. I suppose they could include it, but my guess is that base price would change. No denying that MAK Grills are not cheap... and are definitely not for everyone. Heck, I sold a backyard full of cookers to fund my first 2 Star. That said, I look at grills/smokers like this as more of an investment than a purchase. Cookers manufactured at this level will probably outlive you and me.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:29 AM   #37
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
If you are selling YOUR MAK, please let me know!

No kidding. This Coronavirus is really screwing with Apple. The office bought me a new macbook pro, and it's been delayed with no ETA in sight ) =

Wowsers... yeah, this virus sure has half the world scared to death. The first case was just reported in my area... and of course the evening news is blowing the story through the roof. Better wipe that MacBook down with bleach wipes when it eventually arrives.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:42 AM   #38
mbrass
Knows what a fatty is.

Very interested in a 1 Star, depending on discount, could be interested in a 2 Star. Please add me to the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mbrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #39
mbrass
Knows what a fatty is.

Had an idea that might make them sweeten the deal...if everyone in the purchasing group committed to one social media post per month for a year (cross-posted on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook), we would essentially create an influencer marketing program for them. We would all become MAK brand ambassadors during a time when companies like Weber and Treager are spending a ton on advertising. They need help with their advertising and something like this could go a long way in doing that for them.

To do this. The purchasing group would need to provide their numbers of followers across all networks to show what the impact would be.

Depending on our numbers, could easily justify an additional 20% discount.

If you a guys all agree, I could help put this story together (I lead Advertising for a large Fortune 500 company).

mbrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #40
ModelMaker

Hi all, Debbie Downer here, So you get a group of BBQ'ers getting a "special deal" then you advertise how special you are across social media then you get all the other "special groups" wanting their "special deals" and MAK having to add a "special deals" dept. with "special deal" options and Mak going "crap why did we start this"?

If you do end up getting a "special deal" I would suggest just grabbing it and silently disappear to your cooking area.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #41
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Besides what Robb mentioned and just a theory of mine is another reason the MAK puts out more smoke is it changes fan speeds depending on what temp you are cooking at, smoke - 245 the fan runs at 60% max, 250 - 295 runs at 80% max, 300 and above 100%. Going from 245 to 250 and 295 to 300 or vise versa you will hear the fan change speeds, I usually start all my cooks now at 245 still taking advantage of the lower fan speed because I really haven't noticed much of a difference in smoke profiles from going lower.

Wifi has been $300 as long as I can recall, don't have it, don't need it, you can program the controller up to 6 different steps, be it time and temp or IT or a combo of both. I can see an advantage for someone that wants todo a long cook while away from home say at work to monitor the grill incase of a flame out or power outage.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 08:03 AM   #42
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Besides what Robb mentioned and just a theory of mine is another reason the MAK puts out more smoke is it changes fan speeds depending on what temp you are cooking at, smoke - 245 the fan runs at 60% max, 250 - 295 runs at 80% max, 300 and above 100%. Going from 245 to 250 and 295 to 300 or vise versa you will hear the fan change speeds, I usually start all my cooks now at 245 still taking advantage of the lower fan speed because I really haven't noticed much of a difference in smoke profiles from going lower.

Wifi has been $300 as long as I can recall, don't have it, don't need it, you can program the controller up to 6 different steps, be it time and temp or IT or a combo of both. I can see an advantage for someone that wants todo a long cook while away from home say at work to monitor the grill incase of a flame out or power outage.

Great point, Kevin. The way that the Pellet Boss controller manages the variable speed fan clearly plays an important role in smoke production. A lower volume of airflow across the fire at those lower temps definitely gets the smoke rolling...

Old 02-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #43
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Interested to see discount amount...
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #44
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrass View Post
Had an idea that might make them sweeten the deal...if everyone in the purchasing group committed to one social media post per month for a year (cross-posted on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook), we would essentially create an influencer marketing program for them. We would all become MAK brand ambassadors during a time when companies like Weber and Treager are spending a ton on advertising. They need help with their advertising and something like this could go a long way in doing that for them.

To do this. The purchasing group would need to provide their numbers of followers across all networks to show what the impact would be.

Depending on our numbers, could easily justify an additional 20% discount.

If you a guys all agree, I could help put this story together (I lead Advertising for a large Fortune 500 company).

I don’t do a lot of social media and am not interested in becoming an influencer. All I’m interested in getting a great pellet cooker at a price that I can afford.

Just because someone owns something and can post on social media does not necessarily make them a good representative for the product.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #45
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I might be interested. As I canceled the weber fire before they shipped.
If it is only single digit savings I don't believe I could be swayed.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote