MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
BYURoyalsKC
Found some matches.

Default Question about brisket rub

Hello all,

I will be smoking a brisket this weekend and looking to shake things up a bit. I will be feeding my wife's family as they will all be in town for our towns little (albeit much condensed, thanks Rona!) celebration.

I have always used just Salt and Pepper, but was going to go with a store bought rub. I am going to give Bovine Bold a try.

My question is this, do I use the rub and only the rub or do I still use S&P with the addition of the rub? I am genuinely curious about this.

Thanks.
BYURoyalsKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bovine Bold is a good brisket rub, I would not add extra salt and pepper to it, I think it's fairly well balanced as is. If anything you might add extra pepper if you really like pepper but I'd not do extra salt, personally.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

My go to is heavier S+P and then a light coat of Meat Church Holy Cow. Holy Cow is not salty at all, but adds a nice flavor boost.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

a little cayenne helps too (doesn't make it spicy).
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
BYURoyalsKC
Found some matches.

I do have some Holy Cow on hand already and I always add salt when I use it.

I have never tried the Bovine Bold but am a fan of their Yardbird, and have heard good things about the Bovine Bold, so I am considering giving it a run this weekend.

Just curious if it stands on it's own or needs some help.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
bgross88
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : B

On my last brisket, I tried Harry Soo’s recommendation of adding celery seed to the salt and pepper. I was very happy with the bark/results. I understand that might not appeal to some, but it was hard to argue with my final results.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Daniel

I normally do what Pete does which is heavy salt and pepper, and a dusting of some other rub for a lil extra sumptin'

Old 07-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
BYURoyalsKC
Found some matches.

I've considered this too, but maybe for a future brisket down the road.

I am cooking for people who will probably slather the beef in BBQ sauce, anyway, so just trying to keep it simple with a flavor profile that will appeal to the masses.

I want to try his beef rub, but I can not convince myself to pay those prices for a combination of spices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgross88 View Post
On my last brisket, I tried Harry Soo’s recommendation of adding celery seed to the salt and pepper. I was very happy with the bark/results. I understand that might not appeal to some, but it was hard to argue with my final results.

Last edited by BYURoyalsKC; 07-14-2020 at 12:44 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
BYURoyalsKC
Found some matches.

This is what I am on the fence about.

Speaking of Bovine Bold in particular . . . What is the consensus from those who are familiar with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovster View Post
I normally do what Pete does which is heavy salt and pepper, and a dusting of some other rub for a lil extra sumptin'

Last edited by BYURoyalsKC; 07-14-2020 at 12:44 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
ky_dave
Got Wood.

i've tried Weber's KC BBQ rub and their Texas brisket rub and everyone loves them. I used to find them at Sams Club.
ky_dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYURoyalsKC View Post
Hello all,

I will be smoking a brisket this weekend and looking to shake things up a bit. I will be feeding my wife's family as they will all be in town for our towns little (albeit much condensed, thanks Rona!) celebration.

I have always used just Salt and Pepper, but was going to go with a store bought rub. I am going to give Bovine Bold a try.

My question is this, do I use the rub and only the rub or do I still use S&P with the addition of the rub? I am genuinely curious about this.

Thanks.
Bovine Bold will be just fine on its own but personally when I use it I like to go heavy with Bovine Bold and a dusting of additional kosher salt on a THICK pc of beef as brisket.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
pharp
Banned

I like Bovine Bold, but I would taste it first. It has a pretty distinct flavor. I know more than one person who were surprised by the flavor. Like I said, its a staple in my rub box...but just taste it first.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #13
BYURoyalsKC
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
I like Bovine Bold, but I would taste it first. It has a pretty distinct flavor. I know more than one person who were surprised by the flavor. Like I said, its a staple in my rub box...but just taste it first.
Yes, sound advice. The place I purchase from has "TRY ME" bottles of every rub the sell, so I will for sure take a sample.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

when I season a brisket I do a light base coat of whatever rub I want and then top coat it with salt and pepper.

the base coat is usually oakridge black ops but lately I've been liking simply marvelous peppered cow. for the S&P topcoat i use Naturiffic Q-salt

Old 07-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #15
BYURoyalsKC
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
when I season a brisket I do a light base coat of whatever rub I want and then top coat it with salt and pepper.

the base coat is usually oakridge black ops but lately I've been liking simply marvelous peppered cow. for the S&P topcoat i use Naturiffic Q-salt
I also have some Black OPS on hand, as well.

Just curious . . . with you top coat of S&P I assume it is a lighter coat than when you would use only S&P alone? Given the spices in the base coat.

I am a habitual overthinker, sorry.