MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #16
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

Son of a....Wife just sent me a text, my local Costco has one of those, "Massive smoker in store."

I told her last week that I'd sell what I have for one of these. I may have to rent a trailer and go pick the thing up!

Old 05-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #17
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
Son of a....Wife just sent me a text, my local Costco has one of those, "Massive smoker in store."

I told her last week that I'd sell what I have for one of these. I may have to rent a trailer and go pick the thing up!
that is absolutely terrible. i hope you get over the ordeal quickly.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #18
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
that is absolutely terrible. i hope you get over the ordeal quickly.
If I didn't have so much tied up in my GMG Daniel Boone I'd have that smoker. I may still just go buy the dang thing and sell my DB.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #19
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Darn it! I was so looking forward to the Jason at Cosco pic's.
I can take picks of the toilet paper I'm going to buy next time!!

Old 05-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #20
Jason TQ

I wonder how even temps are from that 1st cooking chamber (door that opens upwards) to that first cabinet directly to its right. Looks like heat goes from left to right and then up to that last cabinet.

Zooming in I lose picture clarity, but looks like Main chamber is 180-600 then the next is 150-350 (I think) then it goes to 60-180. Would be nice if all the usable space could be at the same temp, but I definitely see the use for different ranges. I like the variety in my SF by using the warmer for diff temps.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #21
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
I wonder how even temps are from that 1st cooking chamber (door that opens upwards) to that first cabinet directly to its right. Looks like heat goes from left to right and then up to that last cabinet.

Zooming in I lose picture clarity, but looks like Main chamber is 180-600 then the next is 150-350 (I think) then it goes to 60-180. Would be nice if all the usable space could be at the same temp, but I definitely see the use for different ranges. I like the variety in my SF by using the warmer for diff temps.
There are also several exhaust holes in the main chamber in case you didn't notice. They remain open the entire time regardless of what position the other dampers are in, so no matter what you are dumping some heat out of the main chamber before it gets to the vertical.

Louisiana also has a pretty decent direct grill setup as well. The drip tray slides over to expose the firepot for direct heat. It's a small, but useful area.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #22
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mr. Tony View Post
There are also several exhaust holes in the main chamber in case you didn't notice. They remain open the entire time regardless of what position the other dampers are in, so no matter what you are dumping some heat out of the main chamber before it gets to the vertical.

Louisiana also has a pretty decent direct grill setup as well. The drip tray slides over to expose the firepot for direct heat. It's a small, but useful area.
There's holes that just dump heat vs keeping it in the cooker for no good reason and you can't do anything about it? Where are they that I missed? Sounds awesomely useless

Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #23
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
There's holes that just dump heat vs keeping it in the cooker for no good reason and you can't do anything about it? Where are they that I missed? Sounds awesomely useless

It's part of the Louisiana convection system. I assume that's why they are saying 350 Max in the lower vertical. If that exhaust wasn't there, I would imagine you could keep it at similar temps. I suppose you could try taping them off or plugging them, but may screw with the airflow.

In this particular setup, it seems that they could have benefitted by putting a similar slide system on the main chamber that is on the vertical box .

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #24
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing that some aluminum foil cant fix. I've done that on my old TG-300 in the past to shut some of the heat loss off. No reason it would not work, the PID will keep your temp in that chamber steady.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #25
Jason TQ

Quote:

It's part of the Louisiana convection system. I assume that's why they are saying 350 Max in the lower vertical. If that exhaust wasn't there, I would imagine you could keep it at similar temps. I suppose you could try taping them off or plugging them, but may screw with the airflow.

In this particular setup, it seems that they could have benefitted by putting a similar slide system on the main chamber that is on the vertical box .
Thanks.

Where'd you find that pic? I've been searching for more pics of the unit online but can't find anything.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #26
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

Someone posted this on another site. Link to the owners manual. Bunch of info.

http://www.louisiana-grills.com/asse...s_20170310.pdf

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #27
Jason TQ

Quote:
Someone posted this on another site. Link to the owners manual. Bunch of info.

http://www.louisiana-grills.com/asse...s_20170310.pdf
Ah nice! I looked all over their site, but not where the manuals were. Interesting they don't have it listed anywhere but there. Probably because they aren't selling them regularly.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #28
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

I just bought one, give me some time to assemble it and ill give feedback and pics.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #29
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer414 View Post
I just bought one, give me some time to assemble it and ill give feedback and pics.
Nice!

Old 05-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #30
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

FYI, never ask your wife for details. When she sent me the text that they had the smoker I assumed she took a look at it. She told me she walked by sent me a text and that was all. I was like, "What the hell! You knew I was interested." She said, "you're not getting it anyway."

Defeated once again. If my car wasn't coming I would have that monster. I think I will prefer the car though.