MAK or IVC?

CivilTrojan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been looking at both, specifically the Cascade Smokers Que-deville and the Humphreys Queb’d Box. Which would you choose? Especially if you have a ng built in grill. Or are there better or as good of smokers I haven’t considered within a similar price range?

Thanks for any input!

Hmm. To the extent there is a trade off there, it seems like it would be: Moderately easier start up effort vs. Moderately easier strong smoke application. Both should have the advantage of relatively hands off operation once going.

Mak will be more convenient and versatile. Ie you can smoke and reverse sear on the same unit. The IVC will have the volume in spades and more variable smoke (meaning you can vary it quite a bit depending on what you want to do).

The choice is largely what YOU want. Both are good. I went the gravity feed route which is a variant of the IVC, and am happy with my choice.

2 excellent choices indeed. I think it really boils down to YOUR priorities in a new cooker. Soooo, what are your top 3?

I can't speak highly enough about Humphrey's & their products. If I had the opportunity to do it again I'd buy another in an even cooler color choice! Seriously check out their in-stock smoker selection right now. They're amazing!

That said the IVS is going to be a pure smoker. If you want more than that out of it then perhaps the MAK is the way you want to go.

I've been struggling with the idea of now wanting a pellet grill for quick & easy alternative to the Weber since my smoking needs are more than covered by the IVS.

I would note that the BB more than covers the needs of me, my wife, and small gathering worth of folks. Though I would be happy to have a larger version of the same smoker I'm not sure I could make much use of it at the moment.

The easy part is you are looking at two very different cookers. You want the more versatile MAK or the more specialized IVC.

My cascade smoker has been everything I have wanted it to be, but you aren’t grilling on it.

I'd definitely take a peek at Kat BBQ Smokers and see if you like their cabinet smokers.

Kat BBQ Vault Smokers

As a sidenote you stated that Ironside is your "dream smoker." Are you in desperate need of a smoker right now? If not then I'd recommend saving up a bit and just going with the smoker you really want. Plus that next stimulus is right around the corner, so if you're already in the $2500 range then the stimulus can put you in the $4000 range, which puts you very close to the Ironside Slugger.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these smokers in the long run. I've heard nothing but amazing things from MAK, and with that group buy coming up it might be a perfect time to grab one. I have a Spicewine Ironworks cabinet smoker and while it has its flaws it puts out some amazing BBQ. I've owned a Rec Tec and the "pellet life" just wasn't for me. Pellets in my area were hard to come by (outside of the Pit Boss ones at Walmart), and in terms of cooking fuel they were quite expensive compared to charcoal or wood splits. Plus the high humidity in my area was a problem as the pellets would swell quickly if I didn't get them inside the house.

Been looking at both, specifically the Cascade Smokers Que-deville and the Humphreys Queb’d Box. Which would you choose? Especially if you have a ng built in grill. Or are there better or as good of smokers I haven’t considered within a similar price range?

Thanks for any input!

A Que Deville on a cart would be my choice. I have a friend that has the Que Deville and it weighs 520 lbs vs the 350 lbs the Quebed Box weighs. I could be wrong but my guess is there's more steel, maybe heavier gauge steel in the Que Deville which equates to better heat retention in my book?

Thanks for the responses, I still haven’t made up my mind but I have some stuff to think about. For those who have both a MAK and an IVC, how would you compare the smoke flavor?

Last edited:
A Que Deville on a cart would be my choice. I have a friend that has the Que Deville and it weighs 520 lbs vs the 350 lbs the Quebed Box weighs. I could be wrong but my guess is there's more steel, maybe heavier gauge steel in the Que Deville which equates to better heat retention in my book?

B9Dncavl.png

i62yl3vl.png

h8uDrMYl.png

GEFVTCtl.png

olSlnZll.png

jj0Dr8Tl.jpg

Probably more metal. Humphrey's insulation is fine. Last one was a 19*F test where it didn't skip a beat. Their & hinge quality are top notch too. Very glad I didnt spring for some IVS models because I have to move mine around slightly stubborn groves & stuff to use it. It has done really well to move around for 350 lbs. Also these days I run 75% full firebox shorted with maze pieces b/c she's so efficient. Never really need a whole bed of coals. I suspect the other good IVS can operate like this too. Humphrey's is not the only great choice out there, but I do want to advocate for them. They produce a quality product & are a real joy to deal with.

I'm sure Que is a good product though. Might just be a preference thing at a certain point. At some point ya have to bite & that's the hard part when they're all 'same same, but different.'

Last edited:
I almost pulled the trigger on a Humphreys a while back. After talking it over with the wife, we decided I really wanted something to grill and smoke on without having to buy or have 2 separate cookers. I already have a MAK and I (WE) love it. But sometimes, you just want a charcoal/wood cooker. So I opted to wait and got a big enough pit that I can smoke and grill from. Enter the new Assassin I just got. I’m realizing that I’m not a comp guy. I cook backyard for me and the fam. Getting a Jack of all trades that’s great at everything and perfect at nothing was good enough for me. So when I want a set and forget, I use the MAK. When I want to mess with charcoal, I can pull the Assassin out. They both will smoke and both will grill.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Humphreys a while back. After talking it over with the wife, we decided I really wanted something to grill and smoke on without having to buy or have 2 separate cookers. I already have a MAK and I (WE) love it. But sometimes, you just want a charcoal/wood cooker. So I opted to wait and got a big enough pit that I can smoke and grill from. Enter the new Assassin I just got. I’m realizing that I’m not a comp guy. I cook backyard for me and the fam. Getting a Jack of all trades that’s great at everything and perfect at nothing was good enough for me. So when I want a set and forget, I use the MAK. When I want to mess with charcoal, I can pull the Assassin out. They both will smoke and both will grill.

Are you me in reverse? Now I want a MAK. Still love the IVS, but want an alternative. Scratching that itch is hard. Need to find a stopping point!

Last edited:

Weight can be a disadvantage at times. Sometimes these smokers can be too well insulated. There is a happy medium somewhere (I’m not smart enough to know where that is). More steel and insulation doesn’t automatically mean it performs better. Also, moving a heavier smoker can be more difficult, sometimes much more difficult.

I’ve heard nothing but good things on both of these units though. Wouldn’t hesitate to have either, so pick your fancy regarding the IVC.

Now back to MAK vs charcoal smoker, I kind of look at them like this analogy (and if you don’t agree, thats fine, this is just how I kind of view these):

Pellet smokers are like modern day cars. Built really well, and is what most people should buy. Daily drivers. The Camrys and Accords of smokers are pellet smokers. Think of MAK as a Lexus of the Smoker world.

Charcoal Smokers are kind of like Classic cars. A little cruder all around. But the 68 Mustang, 67 Camaro, 58 corvette of the smoking world are in this group. IVC are kind of like old muscle cars. Then you have the Weber Smokey Mountain which is like an old VW Bug.

Offsets are the trucks and off-roaders. Jeeps, old Broncos ( and maybe the new Bronco), F150 etc are the offsets. Shirley’s are like a one ton truck with a flat bed mounted on it and lots of tool on the flatbed, and a heavy brush guard on the front.

Thanks for any input!

What do you feel more comfortable using? Both are gonna be set it and forget it. Either one will be a great choice!

I just got word that my Cascade custom is done and set for shipping this Thursday. I opted for the IVC after originally looking at GF. I had a pellet pooper and loved it, but was ready to move in a different direction. The MAK grills are certainly top notch, and all the owners will verify that! I looked at KAT smokers up north, but after three phone calls and a handful of emails wet unanswered, I went elsewhere (I was disappointed too, as I grew up in Modesto). A couple of members here at the site recommended Cascade and I got in touch with Rob up in Oregon. Great guy, and he couldn't have been more helpful and honest. I am dying right now waiting for it to get here.

Good luck!

Weight can be a disadvantage at times. Sometimes these smokers can be too well insulated. There is a happy medium somewhere (I’m not smart enough to know where that is). More steel and insulation doesn’t automatically mean it performs better. Also, moving a heavier smoker can be more difficult, sometimes much more difficult.

I’ve heard nothing but good things on both of these units though. Wouldn’t hesitate to have either, so pick your fancy regarding the IVC.

Now back to MAK vs charcoal smoker, I kind of look at them like this analogy (and if you don’t agree, thats fine, this is just how I kind of view these):

Pellet smokers are like modern day cars. Built really well, and is what most people should buy. Daily drivers. The Camrys and Accords of smokers are pellet smokers. Think of MAK as a Lexus of the Smoker world.

Charcoal Smokers are kind of like Classic cars. A little cruder all around. But the 68 Mustang, 67 Camaro, 58 corvette of the smoking world are in this group. IVC are kind of like old muscle cars. Then you have the Weber Smokey Mountain which is like an old VW Bug.

Offsets are the trucks and off-roaders. Jeeps, old Broncos ( and maybe the new Bronco), F150 etc are the offsets. Shirley’s are like a one ton truck with a flat bed mounted on it and lots of tool on the flatbed, and a heavy brush guard on the front.

Your analogy reminds me of a pic I saw awhile back... lol.
c1aaaae0a43598e5554cc53b63f4df1e.jpg

Back