MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
HGBPRO
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default advice needed for whole hog

I will be attempting to cook a whole hog this sat for my wife's birthday. My smoker is homemade and is a reverse flow smoker(lang style) I have ordered a 80 lb hog and plan to use oak as my heat source. My question is if we want to eat at 6pm, what time do i need to start the hog & what temp to maintain? I have searched the web and have found very drastic differences on this subject. from 6hrs to 24hrs and 200 - 350 degrees. I am guessing around 10-12 at 250, but want to make sure the pig is up to temp when time to eat. Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Cooking times mostly depend on how you'll be putting your pig on the cooker: racer style or butterflied? I did a half hog (265 LBS on the hoof, about 200 LBS dressed, so 100 LBS on the cooker) last friday. Started at 5:00 AM @ 250* and tried to keep the temp between 225-250* I pulled it off at 5:30 PM - the big cuts were at 165*, everything else was pulling tender. Don't forget to allow an hour or so to rest your hog before serving/pulling. Cleaning up the next day probably took more energy than cooking the hog, it's a big chore, so pace yourself!

Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I'm cooking an 80 lb hog this weekend as well. I cook 80 lb hogs in about 5 hours cooking temp somewhere around 350*

Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Do you have a cooler large enough to hold it in if you get done early? If so, start early to avoid stress. A cooler will hold it at a good safe temp for many hours.

At the Qlossal, we did an 80 lb hog and had it split down the spine. I think we cooked it for 10-11 hours around 225 or so on a CS Whole Hog. However, the brand/type of smoker often seems to be a variable when determining timing.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I like to cook them around 250 degrees, My only suggestion is start early and get it done, we wrapped this one in foil and put it back on the pit, let the fire pretty much die let it rest for about 3 hours before serving. Really moist. Just shoot for an internal temperature of around 165, Lots of fun..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pig roast 019.jpg (118.4 KB, 359 views)
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Skin on or off? Either way start early. We did a half a few weeks ago. 5 hours everything was done but the rear ham. 6.5 hours and we were good to eat. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

We go at about 275-300 for maybe 5 hours for that size. Rubbed down in butter and salt before he goes on.

the leftovers:

Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
CROSSCZEK
Full Fledged Farker

I have a reverse flow (Lang clone) as well.
We've done a few in the 80#-100# range, keeping it at around the 350* mark and average about 6-8 hours (depending on weather, size, ect).

We generally do them racer style.

Foil the ears, nose and tail to keep them from getting too crispy.
Take the foil off about an hour before you think it's going to be done.

Put the hams on the hot end, for us that's the firebox side.

If you're going to put an apple in it's mouth, place a wood block (2x4 works) in it's mouth at the beginning of the cook. Otherwise you won't get the mouth open when it's done cooking.

If your cooker has a slide out rack and you're going to serve off the rack, that's fine. Otherwise, you'll want to cook the hog on something you can remove from the cooker. You won't be able to move the cooked hog without it falling apart (if you've done it right, anyway). A sheet of stainless steel expanded metal works well.

Let it rest for a good hour before you start to carve it. This not only redistributes the juices, but allows for it to cool a little. Even after an hour, you'll be burning your hands while you pull it. Plus, that hour allows people to "Ooooh & Ahhhhh" and take pictures of your awesome cooking skills. We tuck and overlap Romain lettuce leaves under the hog for presentation. It's only an extra couple bucks and a little extra time, but worth it. Remember: presentation is everything. Putting sunglasses and a lei (sp?) on the hog is nice touch too. This is when you put the apple in it's mouth, too, if you're going to do it.

To serve, use a serrated knife to cut through the skin - it'll be like boot leather. Cut the skin around the neck like a collar, then cut along the spine to the tail. Make cuts along the legs and most of the skin will come off. If you're serving the whole thing pulled, skin at all at once and do it all at once. Or, for Carolina pig pullin' party, I usually just skin half at a time and leave the other half with the skin on. This keeps half of the hog warm while the other half gets devoured. Just place a couple of tongs out and let 'em at it.

I'll try and get pics up later.
Hope this helps.

-scott

[I]Custom built 8' long, 36" dia reverse flow stick burner (The Green Monster)[/I],[I]250 gallon tank grill[/I]
[I]Jenn-Air Gasser[/I], UDS Finally done!
[I]Proud father of two.[/I]
[I]Member GLBBQA[/I]
[I]CBJ# 55381[/I]
CROSSCZEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
HGBPRO
Got rid of the matchlight.

thanks for all the help guys. I will be butterflying mine, no head or feet. Im just gonna start way early so it will have time for a good rest. I will let yall know how it turns out and post pics. Thanks again!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

hgbpro...ur really missing out if you arent cooking the head, there is some great meat in there!! id kill for a piece of cheek right now....and ud be amazed at how good sliced pig tongue really is.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did an 85 pounder this summer on my Lang 60 (Now the Pig Fears ME!!!! (Heavy Pron)). Sorry I've moved the pictures. I've put them below.

Basically, I made up a rack out of re-bar that I could wrap with chicken wire to put the hog on (and strap down to create a presentation possition). This rack was just a bit short both lenght and width wise so I could slide it in. This really made it easy to not only put on and take off the hog but also I turned it around mid way through the cook (13 hours at 250*).

The nice part was that we were able to remove the hog from the cooker and carry it directly to the table on the rack. I just removed the skin from one side and put out some forks for everyone to pick at her...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Last edited by Divemaster; 11-11-2009 at 11:16 AM..
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

That is a very pretty red.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post

Looks like your pig pooped out a few fatties

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

If I didn't make fatties (2 with feta, clametta olives, sweet peppers, garlic, and spinach, the other 2 were plain for Biscuit Gravy), I would have been shot!!!

My only regret is that I don't have the artistic talent to make them look like pigglets...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
Pit Boss Honeycutt
Full Fledged Farker

WOW! The rebar frame/rack set up is a must. Makes ease for clean up too! Nice!

Tags
cooking temps, cooking times, smoking temps, smoking times, whole hog, whole pig