Bacon! Well, really potato soup but smoking the bacon

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
My wife took a part time job as the director or religious ed at a local church and it's turning out to be a whole lot closer to full time than I think she expected, particularly in terms of weekend work. (obvious some was expected). Today's going to be about a 13 hour day for her so decided to make some potato soup which is one of her favorites for when she makes it back.

Starting with some bacon to crumble in it. Shooting for 275 on the kettle. Coming up too temp now.

IMG_4293-XL.jpg

Okay, bacon is on. Waited till it was about 200 knowing it would climb when I had the lid open. Worried a little that I waited too long as the cherry lit right up but everything settled in nicely. Starting to get some color.

IMG_4296-XL.jpg

Will probably wait about an hour to start the actual soup.

IMG_4294-XL.jpg

My wife took a part time job as the director or religious ed at a local church and it's turning out to be a whole lot closer to full time than I think she expected, particularly in terms of weekend work.

This is my PK (Preacher's Kid) surprised face.

That soup looks like it'll be right on target and greatly appreciated when she makes it home.

Are you short on taters or does your recipe call for both kinds?
Ed

Yeah, what the fark! I was hoping for finish pics and a recipe for potato soup!!
Left us hangin. :sad:

Are you short on taters or does your recipe call for both kinds?
Ed

No, the original calls for just russets. I've found that it's better to use both kinds though, especially for reheating the leftovers. The russets break down and make the soup more creamy which is good. The red ones don't so you end up with better texture than just the russets alone.

Yeah, what the fark! I was hoping for finish pics and a recipe for potato soup!!
Left us hangin. :sad:

Okay, fully admit, technical foul on me. I got busy and then this fall off the main page and I decided it was probably okay to let it die.

Soup came out good. Seriously overstocked the bacon however.

IMG_4299-XL.jpg

and with some graded white cheddar and the smoke with sone bacon flavor...

IMG_4300-XL.jpg

As if there's something wrong with this... :roll:

Soup looks delicious.

:mmph: stupid autocorrect, though in it's defense it would have helped if I hadn't made up a word. Overstocked would have been fine. Over smoked was what I was going for.

(That error also didn't help the intentional typo I made later on the bacon flavored smoke)

It would be fine for other things but it's a little strong for this.

You can never have too much bacon...ever! Looks great.

Back