Weekend Smoke - First Chuck Roast, Spatchcock Chicken and Competition Thighs

Bigpappa1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I decided to do something a little different this weekend and try a chuck roast. I've also never spatchcocked a chicken so that was different. And then, just for fun, I pulled a couple competition style thighs together. These are something that I used to roll my eyes at but have actually come to like. They are a ton of work, but even the wife really love's em!

EO27EbA.jpg

vSBaWMK.jpg

sO8FK4V.jpg

wnlXQAc.jpg

wcYMqZC.jpg

And I'm just noticing that I was too busy eating the thighs to take a picture. The chuck roast was kind of a last minute deal. I normally would have injected it the night before, maybe even dry brined it a bit. It turned out a bit dry and on the tough side, but like I said; first one and kind of last minute at that so I wasn't too troubled. It does have just a little bit of a different personality than brisket, though, I will say that...

NOTE: I see now that the pics are a little large and in charge...working on that...

Last edited:
AKA Pepper Stout Beef. :-D

That formula of beer/onions/veggies braising is a formula for epic success. That is what I do with beef cheeks to make really good barbacoa (using Lone Star or Modelo instead of stout though...and the veggies in question are white onion and serrano peppers).

I do the comp technique on my backyard thighs, they will get easier and easier to prep as you go along since the actual sizing is not a factor. I have progressed from several ways to scrape the skin to FILLETING the fat off.

Chucks do benefit from a wrapped step for some braising action that will affect tenderness. I do like using onions and beer like several have mentioned, but another option is French onion soup (dry mix) and Italian dressing (dry mix) along with some broth and a bottle of pepperoncini. I just braise until the smoked chuck is shredable. This same recipe works for pork country ribs or a butt that you cut in chunks and smoke for 4 or 5 hours.

HDmgYV6.jpg

Chucks do benefit from a wrapped step for some braising action that will affect tenderness. I do like using onions and beer like several have mentioned, but another option is French onion soup (dry mix) and Italian dressing (dry mix) along with some broth and a bottle of pepperoncini. I just braise until the smoked chuck is shredable. This same recipe works for pork country ribs or a butt that you cut in chunks and smoke for 4 or 5 hours.
That looks and sounds great, going to give this a go next time I cook a Chuck Roast.

How did the skin compare on the halves with the comp thighs?

Well I scraped the chicken skin on the thighs pretty darn thin, so it bit right through. To be honest, I probably could have let it grill just a touch more for a bit more crisp. I also saw Harry Soo use a jaccard to make small slits in the skin so it bit through even better. I just take the tip of my fillet knife and poke some small holes which seems to work the same. The skin on the halves was rockin', pretty much like always. Keeping that fat on the skin does seem to add a bit of flavor, so long as you get it good and crispy!

I do the comp technique on my backyard thighs, they will get easier and easier to prep as you go along since the actual sizing is not a factor. I have progressed from several ways to scrape the skin to FILLETING the fat off.

I know what you mean about the prepping, I also started filleting off the fat. I started using my fillet knife and did notice, though, that when I used a good hefty chef's knife and scraped with it, that fat came off quick, fast, and in a hurry.

P.S. that chuck roast of yours is DEFINITELY going on my playlist...

Everything looks great from here.

Looks like you've had a great day, and will eat well for a few more to come!

I know what you mean about the prepping, I also started filleting off the fat. I started using my fillet knife and did notice, though, that when I used a good hefty chef's knife and scraped with it, that fat came off quick, fast, and in a hurry.

P.S. that chuck roast of yours is DEFINITELY going on my playlist...

After looking at that photo I think that is the pork butt version, not the chuck version.... but I do both exactly the same other than pork or chicken broth.

Back