Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Gas masterbuilt upright box.
two butts and 1/2 a brisket.
couple gal water to hold heat.
zero degrees with wind.
no place to get out of wind or cold, :(
took two hours to get a steady 225*
then wind,adjust up,wind down,temp up,adjust down,,..sometimes 200*,sometimes 350*.
after ten hours of this driving me crazy i wrapped and in a holder to finish for a couple hours more.
finished product was excellent but,,,,,,,,

i have 1/2 a brisket left and weather has moderated.
i dont want to spend so much time on this 1/2 so i was wondering if anybody sliced a briskit into like 3 or 4 inch thick pieces and smoked it that way ??
would take a lot less time and damn man it gets COLD out there !.
i can see not getting any bark on it but i could hide that with something on a paint brush :)
thots ? ideas ?? suggestions ??

besides taking 12 - 16 hours !!
tnx.

I did a butt today in -33 wind chills. I was running out of pellets due to higher then normal pellet consumption. So once it hit the stall (about 7 hrs), I shut her down and finished it in the oven at 375.. Worked just fine.

I think it was about 80 here today. I had no trouble at all with an 8 hour cook. Don't think I would have done it in your environment. Tough cook.

I would grind that leftover 1/2 brisket and make some really good hamburgers,in a cast iron skillet,in the house.

Started a brisket last night around 9pm. 40 degrees.

Woke at 3 to check. 10 degrees.

Finished brisket in the oven without shame!
Best I'd ever done!

i dont mind finishing in an oven,,as long as i get enuf smoke to it for my taste..
the time factor now is what i'm trying to cut down on,,thats why i asked about making like thick steaks or smaller roasts.
if i had more to do like yestday be a diff story but dont nwant to baby sit just 1/2 a briskit :)

pl5uc84.jpg

Makes me thankful I live in southern Arizona. I've smoked a few times when temps dropped into the low 40's high 30's the smoker did fine but too cold for me.:wink:

Makes me thankful I live in southern Arizona. I've smoked a few times when temps dropped into the low 40's high 30's the smoker did fine but too cold for me.:wink:

Well,,,there are the hard core and the,,,,,,,rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)

i have seen pix on here that would probly scar you for life !! :)

Damn! And I thought it was cold this morning at 36 with a wind chill of 27. :shock:
CSRs in my COLD weather today and 9 holes this afternoon with a 15 mph north wind was enough for me.

Back