THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Anybody got recommendations. Guy across the street hunts, got some dear and is asking me if I want some. I was thinking shoulder...ham....back straps are gone. Anybody with any experience??? Scott

Yakfishingfool said:
Anybody got recommendations. Guy across the street hunts, got some dear and is asking me if I want some. I was thinking shoulder...ham....back straps are gone. Anybody with any experience??? Scott
Haven't smoked any, but I have whole loins in my freezer. Don't know what to do with them yet.

I have an uncle who cubes and cans all of his deer. It is wonderful. Great for stews, veggie/deer soup, or just on its own.

How do you feel about sausage? Mixed with 40% ground pork it will be wonderful and still retain some deer flavor. If you don't have a stuffer, no sweat. You can just make patties or fatties. I have a Iowa Farm breakfast sausage recipe if you are interested.

Venison

Scott, Venison is very dry for smoking, the fat on venison is waxy and nasty..I used to do butchering in my younger days and venison is at its very best when grilled very rare. Venison mixed with beef/pork fat at a 85/15% ratio makes very good chopped meat....as suggested earlier sausage is a very good choice...I'll bring in some recipes for you today at the office and you can make a variety of stuff..I killed a fat 5 point buck yesterday with my bow..if you want to try some good steaks just let me know..Wi-Doe-Maker (John)

Slice the back straps and tenderlions, wrap in bacon and grill to rare (maybe medium rare). You can use the rest of it for sausage or snack sticks. I took 40 lbs of dear meat in Friday and the butcher just called and said my snack sticks were done. :)

A few weeks ago I asked about smoking back straps for a small gathering. Many recommended slicing and frying instead of smoking. Dispite the wonderful feedback, I pressed on with the smoking.

I injected the straps with plenty of apple juice mixed with a little bit of rub the night before and then again just before they went on.

I kept the temp around 250 degrees for 3 hours spraying every hour or so. I then placed them in an aluminum pan and covered with foil for the next 3 hours with about a half inch of the apple juice.

I was very pleased with the results as was the family that provided the deer.

I've roasted venison shoulder and made "pot roast" -- turned out great. Venison is LEAN so it's probably better done in a pot - definately a candidate for a cast iron pot on the smoker...Slow smoke it a couple of hours to get some of the smoke flavor and then into the cast iron.

Yakfishingfool said:
thrid eye, yeah I'd love the recipe. Got to be someone here that has smoked the deer. S

Here ya go. I use 60% deer to 40% pork. Don't go more than 50:50 or you will lose the deer flavor. Make into patties or home-made fatties.

FARM SAUSAGE

3 lbs. ground pork butt
OR
1-1/4 lbs ground pork butt & 1-3/4 lbs ground deer
2 teaspoons ground sage
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
¼ cup water or beer

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and water until well blended. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend. Package the bulk sausage in ½ or 1 pound packages.

Back