MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #76
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I have those same casters on my Cube. 20 bucks each at NorthernTool. rolls really nice. too nice....
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #77
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Got my new weed burner working. Hooked it up and fired it up! What a neat and useful toy this will be! I'm ready for tomorrow night's cook!
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #78
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

Default Weed Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes1212 View Post
Got my new weed burner working. Hooked it up and fired it up! What a neat and useful toy this will be! I'm ready for tomorrow night's cook!
Mike, what weed burner did you get?
Do you have to use a large propane tank?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #79
clweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
Mike, what weed burner did you get?
Do you have to use a large propane tank?
You can pick them up at harbor freight for $20. Connects to a standard 20 # tank

clweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #80
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clweed View Post
You can pick them up at harbor freight for $20. Connects to a standard 20 # tank

Yep That's what I got too, from Harbor Freight! Same tank too! Hey..... Lee, did you take my stuff? -

Back to business! Cook #2 is under way! I have a 10 lb. butt that went on at 7:45 PM and a 7 ib brisket flat that will go on around 10:00 PM. Much different experience this time getting to temp, which is 230, and I got there in about 40 minutes. Not too shabby!

I added about a gallon of water when I reached temp, and I have my Underpowered guru that will be working the night shift for me. Confidence is high, so lets see how this goes!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #81
clweed

Quote:
Yep That's what I got too, from Harbor Freight! Same tank too! Hey..... Lee, did you take my stuff? -

Back to business! Cook #2 is under way! I have a 10 lb. butt that went on at 7:45 PM and a 7 ib brisket flat that will go on around 10:00 PM. Much different experience this time getting to temp, which is 230, and I got there in about 40 minutes. Not too shabby!

I added about a gallon of water when I reached temp, and I have my Underpowered guru that will be working the night shift for me. Confidence is high, so lets see how this goes!
Good luck Mike!

Hope the cook goes as planned

Old 04-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #82
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

The fan should hold that temp all night. How much did you heat up on the inside with the weed burner to help it get to temp?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #83
ggee6688

Will be getting a burner soon to scare my neighbors in the morning. Were the loud house anyways. Everyone have good luck with their seals? Ive been leaving my door open since I had them adjusted all the way in to get a good seal due to leaky smoke.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 04:39 AM   #84
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
Will be getting a burner soon to scare my neighbors in the morning. Were the loud house anyways. Everyone have good luck with their seals? Ive been leaving my door open since I had them adjusted all the way in to get a good seal due to leaky smoke.
The weed burner works great, but can make a bunch of noise, so careful not to wake the neighbors!

I fired mine up Saturday night to help preheat the inside of the cabinet for cook #2, while my charcoal chimney was getting fired up.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 AM   #85
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Cook number two could not have gone any better, and everything was perfect! The brisket was moist and tender and the fat that I left on (about 1/4"), had completely rendered off. Maybe one one the best briskets I have ever made! The pork butt needed two spatulas to hoist off the grate, because it wanted (and did) fall apart. The bone lifted right out when I tugged on it and there was no meat stuck on the bone. When pulling apart the butt, I noticed that most all the fat rendered off and I was left with only a small amount of fat that was not suited to leave in with the meat. Lots of good flavor from both. I was slicing the brisket up, and a buddy who dropped by for some que, was eating it as fast as I could slice it.

We had baked beans, coleslaw and some bread to go with it. Sorry I did not get any pictures of post cook, there was too much going on with company as such to turn the camera on, which was sitting close by.

All said, this was a pleasant cooking experience!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:50 AM   #86
clweed

Mike,

How did the Guru with the 10cfm fan work out ?

Quote:
Cook number two could not have gone any better, and everything was perfect! The brisket was moist and tender and the fat that I left on (about 1/4"), had completely rendered off. Maybe one one the best briskets I have ever made! The pork butt needed two spatulas to hoist off the grate, because it wanted (and did) fall apart. When pulling apart the butt, I noticed that most all the fat rendered off and I was left with only a small amount of fat that was not suited to leave in with the meat. Lots of good flavor from both. I was slicing the brisket and a buddy who dropped by for some que was eating it as fast as I could slice it.

We had baked beans, coleslaw and some bread to go with it. Sorry I did not get any pictures of post cook, there was too much going on with company as such to turn the camera on, which was sitting close by.

All said, this was a pleasant cooking experience!

Old 04-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #87
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Good morning Lee,

The guru worked out pretty good, and kept temps right at the set temp of 230 for most of the night. When I got up Sunday morning. She got reached 245, but as soon as I added a couple of cups of water, she came right back down to 230. For a second cook, on my new Lone Starz Vertical Cabinet, I could not be happier! Every part of the cook went really well and I had no problems at all.

I'm sure the 25 CFM fan will bring temps back faster, but the 10 CFM fan was pretty good at the job.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #88
jrben1

Quote:
Good morning Lee,

The guru worked out pretty good, and kept temps right at the set temp of 230 for most of the night. When I got up Sunday morning. She got reached 245, but as soon as I added a couple of cups of water, she came right back down to 230. For a second cook, on my new Lone Starz Vertical Cabinet, I could not be happier! Every part of the cook went really well and I had no problems at all.

I'm sure the 25 CFM fan will bring temps back faster, but the 10 CFM fan was pretty good at the job.
Mike, that's good to know. I've got a 10 CFM fan. I'll try using that before ordering a 25 CFM.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #89
jrben1

Quote:
Shipping next week! Woo hoo! You will be filling the skies with sweet smoke in no time!

Let me know how you get the beast out of the crate. I rolled mine out of the crate by placing some plywood on one side so the it dropped down about a half inch onto the plywood and rolled down the rest of the way to the pavement. I left the side rails up on either side of the wheels to create a track so the wheels did not creep off the 2x4's that the wheels were resting on.. You will see what I mean when your smoker arrives. Posting pictures I hope?
Mike, you must have had yours delivered to the house. If you pick up the crate at the freight terminal, the fork lift will place the crate in your trailer so those 2X4 tracks face the side of the trailer.

Tex 01.jpg

Tex 02.jpg

You don't have room to roll it out from the track.

Tex 03.jpg

We had to disassemble the crate and pallet in order to roll the smoker out. What a job that was. We were joking we wanted to take the nail gun away from the worker who put this together. You never saw so many nails.

Tex 04.jpg

Finally got "TEX" out and all wrapped up in his new Grill Wraps cover.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #90
jrben1

Default Caster Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
As big as it is, it rolls like butta. I also bought some chicks cheap from Wally world. It stops it pretty good. I had locks on my old smoker and they sucked. Even with wheels locked, it would still slide. Best brakes is chocks.
This is a pic of the caster on my Myron Mixon smoker. I hit the smoker with my car while parking 3 days ago. It dinged my car but the smoker didn't budge and it only had one caster locked.

Myron Caster.jpg