First Whole Hog - Success (lots of PRON)

Twelvegaugepump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
First, I want to thank everyone here for the help leading up to this cook. I had a ton of questions and you all were a great help, especially ThermalMass and Gtr. I have been building a custom trailer smoker and have gotten a lot of help from friends and neighbors. This cook was to thank them as well as practice for a grad party cook for the daughter of my neighbor who did most of the welding. There was no way I was going to do my first pig for someone else's party.

Picked the pig up on Friday night from the local meat shop. 89 lbs official weight and we named her Asia. Brought it home, did some minor trimming and then injected with rub and apple juice. Rubbed it with mustard and rub inside and with olive oil outside. Stuffed three heads of cabbage to protect the loins and ribs since my cooker is hottest down the middle of the grate.

She went on the cooker at 10:30pm Friday night. The neighbors stuck around until about 1:30a talking stupid and sucking on beers. I tossed more wood on and hunkered down with the alarm set for 45 minutes later. It was a cold night. The temps fell into the 40's which was a record for our town in July. I got about an hour sleep total all night.

At 4:45a one of the neighbors was back with Bloody Mary's. At 5 the other neighbor was back and my wife was up. Time to spin the rack and get our first look. She looked great. We cooked her until around 10, at which time we pulled her off to rest. The neighbors got me a sweet apron with our logo, which was an awesome addition to the morning.

Finally at noon I cut her open and started the pulling. The smell was awesome. The cabbage did a great job and tasted amazing. We wrapped some pork and rub in the cabbage and rolled them. They rocked.

We had about 40 folks over for lunch. Each brought a dish and we made it a party. People ate and snacked all day. I had made five different sauces and each was fantastic as well. By the end of the night, we had a little less than 5 lbs of meat left. Everyone left very happy.

Today I have an 18 qt Nesco going with the bones making stock. The house smells amazing.

Thanks again everyone, I am ready to do this again in 2 weeks.

Looks awesome. Conrats on the first whole hog! 5 lbs left? Sounds pretty darn successful!

Have a build thread for the smoker? Or any other pictures? looks great.

Great job looked like it was a smash hit. One question......Were was my invite...I live 35 minutes from that hog fest.........:hurt::hurt:

I don't comment often, usually just read and soak up knowledge for my backyard cooks. I gotta say, that pig looks fantastic! Sounds like a good time was had by all and great memories were made. In my opinion, that's what it's all about. Well done, sir.

That pig looks fantastic! With that meat plus the neighbors stopping over and hanging out, it sounds like a pretty darn good day to me.

Looks mighty tasty! I've been talking about doing one this summer, guess i will have to build a cinder block pit.

That's so cool! Nice work there! :clap2:

Glad to hear the cabbages worked out - I'll be doing that on my next one - much cheaper than chuckies.

Piggy parties are nuthin' but fun and pork stock is a magic elixir that makes everything delicious.

Congrats!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does the duct tape label thing. :heh:

Back