Pork shoulder question....

A

AFLCAPT

I'm doing a pork shoulder tomorrow. When I do it in the oven I trim the skin / fat cap off & cover the shoulder w/ it. It makes it easier rather then removing it when it's hot....
My plan was to remove the skin, rub the meat down, then replace the skin halfway through.

Does anyone think this will work?
Will smoke penetrate the skin?
If it was you, what would you do?
Any suggestions would be helpful....Thanks.

I don't go thru the hassle of removing the skin or fat...just use a sharp knife and score the skin in like a diamond pattern..and smoke to disired doneness..

Being merely a novice at this point I don't know that I can offer any help, and actually did my first pork shoulder the other day..But When I pulled it I basically discarded the fatcap/skin and with it went a lot of rub and flavor. I did'nt want to remove it first as I thought the fat content might help keep the meat moist. But removing it, putting on your rub and then replacing it sounds like the best of both worlds to me. I did notice the smokering everywhere other than under the skin, so I don't think the smoke penetrated it at all.....Maybe with more experience one day I'll be of more assistance...

Firecrackerjack

It will probably work, but if it were me, I'd remove the skin, keep the fat but trim it so it's not too thick and cook it fat cap down. I would not worry about the loss of rub on the one side.. The meat will still be plenty flavorful and if you want you can always add a few shakes of rub to the finished product when pulling. If you use sauce after then you'll have even more flavor to assist.

I remove as much skin/fat as I can. Rub doesn't penetrate it and I want as much of the tasty bark as I can get.

It will probably work, but if it were me, I'd remove the skin, keep the fat but trim it so it's not too thick and cook it fat cap down. I would not worry about the loss of rub on the one side.. The meat will still be plenty flavorful and if you want you can always add a few shakes of rub to the finished product when pulling. If you use sauce after then you'll have even more flavor to assist.
Any reason for "fat cap down"?

Thanks

I have always done shoulders fat on, fat up. I never find them with the skin on, and if I did, the temptation to make cracklins would prevent me from leaving it on.

I have always done shoulders fat on, fat up. I never find them with the skin on, and if I did, the temptation to make cracklins would prevent me from leaving it on.
Cracklins...? Like pork rinds?
So how do you do em'?

Cracklins...? Like pork rinds?
So how do you do em'?

Think bacon and fresh pork rinds together... Crackins! As far as how to do them, I have seen them done in large kettles, but I don't know the exact process.

but I know I like em :icon_cool

Making cracklins, you will want that skin with some fat on it. Get a large cast iron dutch oven over a turkey fryer outside. Outside is key. I use a little shortening to get it started, but, get that heat to 350 to 400 degrees, add in the skin and fat and let it render and fry for 20 to 25 minutes. They should not smoke, just turn brown. Remove and drain. You end up with something like pork rinds with a layer of crunchy fat on it.

My xfather in law loved Cracklin bread; just fried pork skin(you can by them bagged in the south) and a good cornbread recipe. Tasty and good for your arteries too...well, my arteries love them ; )

Back