MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Rover >~<>
Knows what a fatty is.

Default first pork butt in the uds as we speak..i hope it turns out

Well my first pork butt has been in the uds since 11 last night(its 10:00 now) internal temp reading about 185-186, Im debating wether or not to wrap it in foil and put it back until 190-195 or just leave it on for another hour and see if it gets to 190. I really dont want to ruin it. My fear is that my parents and sister will arrive to watch the steeler game today and ill be serving dry tough meat. The bone doesn't seem to want to pull out yet so im nervous. maybe its a lack of sleep.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Patience, grasshoppa :) When are you serving? It sounds like it's not done yet. If the bark is getting too dark, then foil with some liquid. If the bark is still a nice mahogany brown then leave it. It is done when that bone pulls free or your probe slide in like it is going into warm butter. Don't focus on a specific internal temp.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Rover >~<>
Knows what a fatty is.

sounds like i need to wrap in foil so the bark doesn't get any darker. temp rose to 187 though so thats good

Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Relax Brother. Foil, if you must, butt wait until the probe goes in like buttah. Internal temp is just a referance, not an absolute. When done double wrap in foil, then a nice bath towel and put it in a warm cooler. Your Butt will stay hot for up to four hours in a well insulated, small cooler. When your guests arrive, pull your pork in front of them. They will be amzed at your skills.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
suziemc
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree w/ Bluesman; I did my first pork butt last weekend. I wrapped it in foil then in a bath towel and put it in the cooler for about 2 hours. When my family arrived and I started to pull the pork they were in amazement on how well it turned out. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I've started to get away from using foil and could not be happier. I'm not a traditionalist and would use the foil if I felt it gave me a better BBQ, but I don't.

So...I'd say just be patient and let it roll.