MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
King
Full Fledged Farker

Default Under $20 & 20 minute ECB Mod

I picked up a Kingsford/Masterbuilt mini charcoal grill for $19.97 at Lowes. I had to assemble it (11 minutes), turn the ECB legs around (6 minutes) and drill 8 - 3/8" holes on the lid (3 minutes). Viola! Air flow!

Here are the two units.
Attachment 39588

Finally have airflow control for the ECB.
Attachment 39587

In addition, the charcoal sits on top of a....wait for it....a charcoal grate. A removeable ash pan collects the ashes too.
Attachment 39586

I haven't cooked on it, so I don't know if this will actually work. However, I have studied the traditional ECB mods and I think all the same principles apply here.

I still need to install a new temp guage too. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by King; 06-09-2010 at 10:20 PM..
King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Nice. I used a weber smokey joe in my ECB like you have there. It worked better than the POS coalpan it had before but I still had to babysit the darn thing. Mine had a pretty wide gap between the cooker and the smokey joe though so I still got a little too much unwanted air. Yours looks pretty tight so you might not have those problems. Let us know how it works. ECBs turn out pretty good food when modded right.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
King
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Nice. I used a weber smokey joe in my ECB like you have there. It worked better than the POS coalpan it had before but I still had to babysit the darn thing. Mine had a pretty wide gap between the cooker and the smokey joe though so I still got a little too much unwanted air. Yours looks pretty tight so you might not have those problems. Let us know how it works. ECBs turn out pretty good food when modded right.

I might have used your idea when I came across it in the archive google search. If so, many thanks to you.

My thoughts exactly, there is a 1" gap around it. I hope it does perform better than the original design. I'm using the old charcoal pan to be the ash pan for the UDS I'm building. BTW, the drum barrel was given to me by Bretheren Mark. Thanks again!

I plan on cooking on the modded ECB this weekend. I might start with some ABT's.
King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Fill the gaps with scrunched up aluminium foil?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice mod! You'll probably need to fill that gap. Let us know how it works.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by King View Post
I might have used your idea when I came across it in the archive google search. If so, many thanks to you.
Thanks King but it wasn't my idea, I got it from someone on this site too. That's how it all gets passed on.

Foil will do the trick. If that doesn't work try the flashing mod I did, works great. I posted a new thread about it so I didn't hijack yours.

Smoke on!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote