MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
gpcvg
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Gene

I drive a Tundra so I feel pretty good about towing a toy hauler or enclosed trailer. I thought about putting the smoker in the truck but its just too heavy to do by myself. I was going to get a trailer because I could add things to it as time allowed. No shower or facilities but an air mattress would work easily to sleep on.
gpcvg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
joemat
Full Fledged Farker

I just got a new 6x10 Toy Hauler. I just spent last weekend putting in this diamond plate vinyl flooring and ramp extender. Also built a 12V DC panel to run interior LED lights and exterior LED spreader lights when not connected to the truck or generator. Battery mounted on tongue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0385.jpg (52.9 KB, 295 views)

Last edited by joemat; 07-05-2016 at 09:22 PM..
joemat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
gpcvg

What are you doing to the walls? I had a competitor at Madison IN to lines the floor.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

Damn Joe!
Wanna fly out to Seattle and line the floor and ramp for my 6x12?
That looks sweet!

ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #20
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcvg View Post
I am thinking of using a 7x14 enclosed trailer with a/c and a power set up. Tables and maybe a sink could be picked and added through auctions. I have ordered a Stumps Classic so I am thinking of having a wench installed in the floor to help me get it in and out. Just looking and getting some estimates right now
You'll be fine. I did several contest with my stumps stretch with an F150 and a small utility trailer. The stumps are heavy but you should be able to maneuver it around with two people. Most competitors are always willing to lend a hand with loading/unloading. Enclosed trailers with AC do make it nice to stay out of the elements but don't think they are necessary. If you have the money they are nice don't get me wrong. I went from a utility trailer and pop ups to a 8x24 with AC/heat and electric. It makes a difference but my results were just as good if not better without the big trailer.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #21
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

Quote:
I drive a Tundra so I feel pretty good about towing a toy hauler or enclosed trailer. I thought about putting the smoker in the truck but its just too heavy to do by myself. I was going to get a trailer because I could add things to it as time allowed. No shower or facilities but an air mattress would work easily to sleep on.
Another option is seeing if you have a local cargo trailer dealer that rents trailers. For our last sanctioned comp I rented a 5x8 enclosed. So much easier it wasn't even funny. We use a drum and a wsm though. Price was cheap too.

Sure beat loading everything in my f150 crew cab w 5.5 ft bed and a hitch carrier for the drink cooler.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #22
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

You have lots of options, and it depends on your budget and how often you cook.

We started loading everything into the back of a Suburban. Worked great, but took a long time to pack and unpack. That was fine because we were cooking 1-3 times a year, always locally.

We then got a cheap used RV and pulled a cargo trailer with the bigger items like the smokers in it. In 2010 we built rolling shelves and started wheeling everything in and out of the trailer instead of carrying it from the RV - big time saver. In '09 used RVs were going for nothing because banks had stopped financing them for a couple of years. This was a lot less expensive than getting a better tow vehicle and a customer trailer, and having a shower, toilet, AC, and heat didn't hurt either. By this time we were doing 9-15 contests, so it made more sense for us.

2012 to the present
After 3 seasons with the RV/Trailer combo, my wife was convinced of the value of using an RV, so we replaced the older unit with a Toy Hauler RV so now we don't have to tow anything. We still use the wheeled shelving, too. Last year we cooked 19 contests, and some of them were across the country. We sometimes have up to 6 people cooking with us, so we like to set up outside - and this works well for quick setup and takedown.

Custom porch trailers, or toy hauler travel trailers (that you tow) are good options as well, the latter seems popular here in the northeast. Most toy hauler trailers are quite heavy, especially with full tanks, so the capacity of your tow vehicle is important. For me, I would have had to replace the tow vehicle, so the toy hauler trailer and a new truck vs. the toy hauler RV were kind of a wash cost wise.

If you are only doing a few comps, rent a cargo or flatbed trailer. Uhaul trailer rates are pretty reasonable, and there is no mileage charge on trailer rentals.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #23
gpcvg

I feel as though I will be doing 7 to 10 competitions maybe more if its as much fun as the couple I have been to with another team. My wife won't be cooking but may come along depending on what the event is and what music is there. I figure that I will be doing this alone for awhile so I am looking for ease of unloading and loading. I like the idea of the toy hauler and maybe I can find a bumper pull that my Toyota handle. With just me, I don't think I need anything large

Old 01-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #24
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We put the cookers, table, cambro, cooler etc. in the back seat and bed of my Avalanche, I can get a 22" WSM in there with an 18" kettle and 18" WSM, which is all we need.

We finally broke down in early 2012 and got a fairly small (22') travel trailer strictly for creature comforts. After several years of doing it either out of a tent, or an old broken down pop-up trailer, it was time!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #25
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
We put the cookers, table, cambro, cooler etc. in the back seat and bed of my Avalanche, I can get a 22" WSM in there with an 18" kettle and 18" WSM, which is all we need.

We finally broke down in early 2012 and got a fairly small (22') travel trailer strictly for creature comforts. After several years of doing it either out of a tent, or an old broken down pop-up trailer, it was time!
You guys have a sweet setup. We were directly across from you at Arthur.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #26
Clownkeeper
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This is what I did for my first comp. I packed up my Jeep and put the smokers on a cargo hauler. It still wasnt enough room so teammate had to take the rest in a pick up truck. Now I rent a 5x8 cargo trailer for comps.
Clownkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #27
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

This was my first year or two. Everything got packed in the bed and cab. After unpacking, I would lay out my sleeping bag on an air matress in the bed. Was actually pretty comfortable.

This has been the last two years. It's an 8.5x18.

I you go the trailer route, figure out what you think will work and go one more size up. I'm already getting that Two-Foot-Itis. A 24 footer just may have to get looked at shortly.

Russ

Old 01-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #28
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

I think we have a nice and slightly unique set-up. We haul all of our equipment with an enclosed trailer with an "overnight package". The overnight package means it has two double beds that flip out on the side and are canvas covered (think Colman Camper). The trailer has a rubber floor, vinyl walls, ramp door, electricity, lights, air conditioning and heat. It is also aluminum and light enough that our V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee can pull. We have used it for two years now to haul all our equipment and 4 large BGE's. For us it works great, but it is a lot of work to load and unload. I would love a porch trailer where the smoker could be mounted.

We are working on getting a new smoker that would be too heavy to load up and down the ramp. We bought this portable winch . . . hopefully it works!

http://www.amazon.com/WARN-885000-Co...keywords=winch

Hope this gives you some more ideas!

Eggspert
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #29
gpcvg

I started looking at toy haulers yesterday since I kinda talked the wife into it. I sold her on taking the grand kids to on trips to National Parks and camping. Does anyone use a toy hauler for double duty? If so what kind of truck are you pulling with? I can't talk her into a new truck too.

The pictures are great.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #30
joemat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I started looking at toy haulers yesterday since I kinda talked the wife into it. I sold her on taking the grand kids to on trips to National Parks and camping. Does anyone use a toy hauler for double duty? If so what kind of truck are you pulling with? I can't talk her into a new truck too.

The pictures are great.
My toy hauler is only a 6x10 but I do use it for double duty (also hauling my son's race Kart and gear to the track). I have a RAM 2500 Diesel, buts its more for my 30 foot boat trailer than the toy hauler (I can't even feel that behind the truck).