MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

Default Dream BBQ class

If you could take the class of your dreams what would it be. For those that have taken a class which one blew you away with the results. Doing my research now so I have plenty of time to save up!!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Any class that gets me results . I took the Swamp Boys/3Eyz super school earlier this year and it was worth every penny. So either of those teams are great and I highly recommend. The results we are getting now are much much gooder .

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

I took Chris Harts class. Since taking it I've had two contests and two top 10's. Before his class zero top 10's. Was well worth it. If I could take another I'd go to Trigg's just to hear his stories.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

I wonder if they will offer another 3eyz/swamp boys class next year. I bet that one was awesome!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
deguerre

Actually, you know, I'd really like to take moocow's UDS class.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I've been to Rod Gray's (from Pellet Envy) class in KC and 3 Eyz and Swamp Boys class in FL, and both were great. My scores improved dramatically after Rod's class.

3 Eyz / Swamp Boys class was this spring and I haven't competed since, but I can tell you in was a great class with very detailed information on methods, time and temp, meat sources and recipes too. Recipes provided by 3 Eyz only, Rub was a little tighter with his, but all in all an excellent experience and well worth it in my honest opinion.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

I had zero calls in three comps before swamp boys, 4 calls in my only comp since. . . I'd say i picked up some pointers, granted I was a newbie newbie, but when your lucky enough to finish like that, can't argue the result of the the class. Plus I enjoyed the class.

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearsHickoryPit View Post
I wonder if they will offer another 3eyz/swamp boys class next year. I bet that one was awesome!
Yeah it was great that their schedules matched up. Prior to the class we had only ever cracked the top 10 overall twice in about 25 competitions during my first 2 years of competing. We did our first competition in Feb of this year (our 3rd year) and that finish was mediocre at best.

Then we took the class in March and in the the 3 competitions since we were 5th, 3rd, and 10th overall with some good chicken calls in the mix too (along with other calls). We still have a long way to go to keep getting better as practicing what is learned is very important, but both Rub & Dan and Chris have my endorsement.......for what it is worth .

Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Dream Class: Myron Mixon's

2nd Choice: Melissa and Pete of Yazoo's Delta Q
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
JD McGee

We have taken Paul Kirk's, Johhny Trigg's, and Tippy Canoe / Big T'Z "Cornfed Cookin' Class...all were outstanding and helped raise our scores significantly. Our next class will probably be Rod Gray or Myron Mixon unless TrueBud is having one...lol!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I'd love to do the 3 eyz/Swamp Boys class.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearsHickoryPit View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words and feedback. Although we dont have anything planned or discussed as of yet, ya never know, we just might try to do it again next year......

We had as much fun as our students did, and the weather is soooo much nicer down there that time of year...........

We are having a class in June, if anyone is interested, at the BBQ Guru World HQ's......

Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Timmy Mac
Take a breath!

Couple question's to ask? Do you want to cook hot and fast or low and slow? Do you want to learn how to cook a whole hog? Do they cook on the same smoker as you? Also does location of the class matter? Do you want a hands on class?

Old 05-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I recently took Cornfed Cooking BBQ Class(Tippy Canoe and Big Tz). I learned many things and many ideas. It was nice 2 different cooks saying how they cooked on 2 different cookers( Though Ryan would also talk about when he used a WSM so I guess 3 cookers) and with some meats 2 different temps. Right now it is too early to tell how I will do longterm but I did recently team up with another person who took the class and we won Grandchampion at the unsanctioned but 100% CBJ's contest Frostbusters that fellow Brethren Smokehouse 72 puts on in Colo, Iowa. We got 1st chicken 2nd ribs 1st pork and 1st brisket and we tried many of the techniques we learned in the class

Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

We went to Myron's class 2 years ago. That was before we had entered our first comp. so, everything we learned was somewhat new. This forum and watching BBQ shows on TV provided a huge background before going to his class. Some of the things we learned, I still cannot replicate here, but that is my problem. We still do use some things in our cooking now.

We went to the Swamp Boys / 3-Eyz super school this year. While we learned a bunch of things from both teams, we are using more tricks/tips from the 3-Eyz team. My biggest problem implementing those is related to not paying attention to details, trying to change schit at the last minute, and just my own anxiety.

All three teams have proven success, I think we all will agree.

But for now, the winningest team around is 3-Eyz guys. They are consistent, very methodical and organized in all their approach. That is not to say other teams are not, but I just think their way of doing things from purchasing meats all the way to turn in (including box building, and presentation; very important!), seems smooth and streamlined.

For me, right now, I would attend a 3-Eyz school again as I lost all our notes from the first day at the super school somewhere in Central Florida........ And I just believe in going with a proven winner.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote