MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #76
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonkman View Post
This has nothing to do with what an organization with an all volunteer BOD can or cannot be to everyone. In fact, I think that suggestion is extremely wide of the mark. It has to do with, in my opinion (and perhaps the OP can correct me if I am wrong), a member who feels his expectations were not met and that he wants to be heard. I really do think it boils down to wanting to be heard.

I have always felt that when an organization stops listening to everyone then that is an organization with issues. There really is no reason in my opinion that the orignal OP's issues/concerns could not be addressed. It comes down to resources, priorities and motivation. If the will of the BOD is that something be done about the issues raised here then something will be done. If the BOD feel the backyard hobbyist's interests aren't important to the goals of the organization then nothing will happen.

Now I do have a question because I don't understand what you meant when you said "I also believe while I'm at it that people think that they would pay the same per contest if there was no membership revenue are sort of missing a point." Are you suggesting that KCBS sanctioned events cost the same when it comes to entry fees?

Brian
Brian to the people who say that $12 dollar of their entry fee goes to KCBS so they are paying their way Im just saying that the fee would be higher if there were no members.

I have never said that the op didnt have a point...here is someone who posted in the comp section tha he was going to compete...joined kcbs and then changed his mind and wished there were more for the general bbqer.

From there it got ugly....

Things can be improved and you have the president respond twice here...I think that is pretty impressive.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #77
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Everything I mentioned is public information, and Sterling has claimed in interviews to be quite happy with where he is as a result. I can only hope to be as satisfied with my situation in 15 years as he is now. My intent was not to get "personal" and dive into private information, but to ask if the similarities between situations might not deserve a closer inspection.

dmp

This is where I was coming from, Dan. Ernie Ball is a corporation that Sterling happens to be the CEO of. You have a beef or objection to something that Sterling may have said. No need to drag Ernie Ball the corporation into it. I for one respect what they as a corporation has done to help others. And i also have a huge amount of respect for what Sterling has done for that matter. But at some point there has to be a separation. To dig up something that happened with the corporation over 10 years ago, doesnt really pertain to anything (at least on my opinion) with his remark.

Just some observations

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #78
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
Brian to the people who say that $12 dollar of their entry fee goes to KCBS so they are paying their way Im just saying that the fee would be higher if there were no members.
Thanks for the clarification. I get it now.

Quote:
I have never said that the op didnt have a point...here is someone who posted in the comp section tha he was going to compete...joined kcbs and then changed his mind and wished there were more for the general bbqer.

From there it got ugly....
It did indeed. The online equivalent to a drive by shooting. My intent wasn't to suggest YOU were saying that. Though I know I did infer that and I shouldn't have. It just irks me to no end how people can throw all kinds of stuff out there without having any consideration of what the intent of the OP was/is. Replying to your message was a handy platform for me to say that. I'm just a dumba$$ at times. My lovely wife would be happy to confirm that.

Quote:
Things can be improved and you have the president respond twice here...I think that is pretty impressive.
It is impressive. But as a man much smarter then me would love to say - that and better will do.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #79
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
This is where I was coming from, Dan.....
Maybe we should take this off line to discuss further, but Sterling himself has given personal interviews on the topic. Were they given by him as CEO or COB or some such? Maybe, but I was referring to quotes he made personally. He also spoke personally at a Linux convention some where if I recall, and he is known with in the FOSS community as proponent such. Perhaps I see it differently and you are referring to the fact that he is "BPS" here and not "EB/MM." If I felt that this was something that was super secret, I never would have brought it up, but all it takes is Google to find out this information including the direct quotes.

And...where was the support when he brought up my suspension in the first place? Did it really affect the discussion for any one to say "What does it matter, we all know you've been suspended." I'm not trying to say I was fighting fire with fire or anything, but it feels a little bit one sided at this point, and as has been pointed out, my POV on this topic did not change as a result of the suspension (It may have solidified).

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #80
bdodd444
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I believe competitions support the backyarder. I do maybe 6 comps a year and who are the throngs walking around, having a good time admiring smokers and asking questions? I would venture to say a lot of them are backyard cooks having a great time and picking up cooking tips. Just my dos centavos...
bdodd444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #81
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

this is last warning.

Stay ON TOPIC. Seriously? Linux conventions? Microsoft? WTF? Digging up dirt, public or private, that has NO BEARING on this thread will not be tolerated. Next post I see like that, the author WILL find the doors locked. You want to piss in someones cereal bowl, take it private, or go do it somewhere else.

The rules are clear. NO AIRING DIRTY LAUNDRY. Cut the crap and stay on topic.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #82
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Seems like this horse has been well-beaten. I vote you close the thread and we move on.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #83
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
I'm sorry you feel KCBS does not support your interest in BBQ. No organization can be everything to everyone. I believe the majority of KCBS members are involved in comp bbq in some way, either as cooks, judges, reps or organizers.

With that being said I am curious what a 'backyard barbecuer' is looking for from a bbq organization. What services do you think would be beneficial ? What would give a membership to KCBS value to you ?
Why not help promote backyard style contests and offer an inexpensive sanction fee. Not every contest that you sanction has to be a full up four catagory pro event with two reps and CBJ class etc. etc. Why not offer sanctioning for and promote one day backyard grilling events for the backyard cook like NEBS does. This will create a new market for the KCBS, build a rapport with the backyard cook and create an avenue and some contest experience for those backyard cooks who may be interested into moving up to the pro ranks.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #84
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Seems like this horse has been well-beaten. I vote you close the thread and we move on.
Why don't we turn it around and post ideas of how KCBS can support the backyard guys better. I thought adding to the bullsheet was a good idea.

I think the seminar type stuff that Sterling did was good, although not in support of the KCBS. But why couldn't we shig it? I am already mounting cameras in his bbq rig. Shigging that seems like small time.

Like the way that Pollock thinks

Last edited by Hawg Father of Seoul; 01-16-2013 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Add to mention the pollock
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #85
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I do not disagree that KCBS is competition-centric and while I am in agreement with Steve in that I'd love to hear what anyone's thoughts are on how KCBS can cater more to the needs of the backyard BBQer, I just don't know what that might be that you can't get in other places. My gosh, take a look at the Q-Talk forum here and there's a danged LIFETIME of knowledge and information. But if you have ideas, please send me an email at [email protected] and I'll be glad to discuss them with you.

And to the person (don't recall who it was) who said they voted for change and still don't see it on the board, I will say it is not for a lack of trying sometimes. There are three of the four of us left from last year but I believe we've said all along that it may take an election or two to really make a difference. Folks, we are in need of some new ideas all across the slate of KCBS. Whether you run for the board, support someone who is running with good ideas or just want to share your ideas, just do so! I started up a Facebook page for myself JUST to be present and accessible any time. Contact me. It's not up to twelve board members to think of all the good ideas. That's not happening - no matter who is on the board. We rely on members to make suggestions and come to us saying things like "Hey, the other day, I had this really great idea that I'd like to share with you for KCBS and maybe it can be fleshed out into something awesome". Obviously there are those of you with dissatisfaction. Don't just tell me you aren't happy... tell me why and offer some suggestions. Thanks... off my soapbox now.
Phil will probably shoot me but if I was the KCBS I would beg Phil Rizzardi to become KCBS President. Look at what he has created here. Look at what he has done for BBQ and the work he has done to spread good will throughout the community on behalf of the Brethren. I have no doubt in my mind he could do the same thing with the KCBS. How many members here are dissatisfied I ask? None!!! Phil is the type of visionary that the KCBS sorely needs.

Stupidity for Dummies

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 01-16-2013 at 09:41 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #86
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

hawg Ill set them up for you and give you the ip address! can I just peek when you cook the devil meat chicken?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #87
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Why not help promote backyard style contests and offer an inexpensive sanction fee. Not every contest that you sanction has to be a full up four catagory pro event with two reps and CBJ class etc. etc. Why not offer sanctioning for and promote one day backyard grilling events for the backyard cook like NEBS does. This will create a new market for the KCBS, build a rapport with the backyard cook and create an avenue and some contest experience for those backyard cooks who may be interested into moving up to the pro ranks.
Actually KCBS already provides this service. It's called a competitor series event I believe. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I believe some of the NEBS grilling events actually use KCBS sanctioning either as an extra added category or competitor series event.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #88
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Actually KCBS already provides this service. It's called a competitor series event I believe. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I believe some of the NEBS grilling events actually use KCBS sanctioning either as an extra added category or competitor series event.
Maybe I have my head in the sand but I have never heard of the competitor series. I am sure I am not the only one. It doesn't say much if anything about the competitor series on the website either.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #89
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

This is from the KCBS site:

Competitors Series
For the Organizer who wants to have a unique barbeque experience a Competitor’s Series may be contest you are looking for. With a Competitors Series, the Organizer chooses the types of meats to be cooked, instead of the 4 standard meats used by KCBS. In addition, the Competitors Series contest allows for alternative heats sources. Traditional sanctioning fees and costs apply. The Competitors Series Contest is not eligible for the American Royal or the Jack Daniels World Championship. In addition, teams who participate in a Licensed Contest will not receive KCBS Team of the Year points.

I know that there are a few of these events popping up in AZ. The last one in December had Burger, Wings, Hot Dog and Steak as categories.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #90
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

King of the Smokers was a competitor series event