Lost a brisket and two butts.

lowcountrygamecock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Bad night last night. Setup my old and formerly trusty Masterbuilt 40” electric last night with a 14 lb prime brisket and 2 Boston butts for an overnight cook. Everything was looking good and smoker temp was rising when I went to bed. Woke up to check them this morning and the smoker temp was 92 degrees and the meat was still raw. Tossed it all. No idea what happened. I reset the smoker and it heated up to 275. Disappointed for sure.

any cooker that runs off electrical or has moving parts I do not trust unattended without a remote thermometer. you can set alarms with high and low values. no when the drum is rolling I sleep like a baby

Sorry to hear this I had a problem with my Egg last week My butts were in the Fridge still I ended up freezing them and cooking them Friday into Saturday
Next time will be better for you

any cooker that runs off electrical or has moving parts I do not trust unattended without a remote thermometer. you can set alarms with high and low values. no when the drum is rolling I sleep like a baby

I 2nd that

I’ve been eyeballing a pellet burner for a while. Maybe this will push me over the edge. I have a kamado Joe with a flame boss but didn’t think both butts and the brisket would fit. I feel more comfortable with the electric overnight unattended than I do with the kamado anyway. At least I did before last night.

I’ve been eyeballing a pellet burner for a while. Maybe this will push me over the edge. I have a kamado Joe with a flame boss but didn’t think both butts and the brisket would fit. I feel more comfortable with the electric overnight unattended than I do with the kamado anyway. At least I did before last night.

YUP.. here's the thing with that! I would never in my life go to sleep and rest easy trying to cook over night..

That said.. Pellet cookers ain't gonna help you either.. because they can have their own problems too.. Flame outs are a thing.. can happen at any time.

If you have enough fuel in the KJ and have the temp stabilized, it'll hold steady temps for hours & hours. Although I always like to have a remote thermo with a low temp alarm set for any overnight smoke, no matter what cooker I'm using.

Ouch is right. I lost a half prime rib roast once in my Sous Vide. Set it in the morning went to work and came back to room temp meat.

I’ve also done enough overnights on my PrimoXL that I trust it completely. The key is making sure temps are stable before hitting the sack. Done several briskets that way.

If you have enough fuel in the KJ and have the temp stabilized, it'll hold steady temps for hours & hours. Although I always like to have a remote thermo with a low temp alarm set for any overnight smoke, no matter what cooker I'm using.

Yep! Or a drum smoker. I put on 3 butts and a separated brisket (flat & point) overnight in my Hunsaker. Woke up 6:30 in the morning, wrapped it and took it to a company lunch. By lunchtime it had rested well enough. Mind you it rained all night and no thermometers aor alarms either.

3 butts under the brisket.

QTAdBYJl.jpg

I can't imagine doing this without waiting until the smoker actually reaches temp and holds that temp for a considerable time. That's crazy.

Ordinarily I would wait on temps to stabilize but we’ve had a crazy week with my dad in the hospital and I was exhausted. Probably shouldn’t have attempted a big cook on little sleep.

I can't imagine doing this without waiting until the smoker actually reaches temp and holds that temp for a considerable time. That's crazy.

Ordinarily I would wait on temps to stabilize but we’ve had a crazy week with my dad in the hospital and I was exhausted. Probably shouldn’t have attempted a big cook on little sleep.

Back