MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:05 AM   #1
oldgfbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : G-man
Default Flippin' cast iron

I have a cast iron reversible griddle, flat on one side, ridges on the other. Flat side is well seasoned after many years of use. If I flip the griddle to use the side with ridges, what would happen to the seasoned flat side after being exposed to natural gas stove flame?
Thanks

Classic Smoke...."Sauce My Chihuahua"
oldgfbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2022, 12:54 AM   #2
Juggy D Beerman
Full Fledged Farker

Yo G-man, My bad experiences tell me that what you are proposing to do will not yield the results you are trying to achieve. The seasoned finish that took many years of use would be more than "compromised" by exposing it to the direct heat of the propane flame. If you worked years to achieve the seasoned finish you have on the griddle, keep that griddle as it is. Buy another cast iron griddle for what you are wanting to do. Besides, you cannot have too much cast iron ware in the kitchen.

Juggy D Beerman
Former hardware store salesman
Juggy D Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2022, 06:30 AM   #3
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

The salesman says buy another one...

I agree.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-24-2022, 06:45 AM   #4
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

X3 - It would be a shame to lose years of seasoning.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-24-2022, 07:10 AM   #5
Seefyre
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Chris

I have a griddle as you describe for 25 years now. I have used it and abused it including camp cooking, cooking over gas stove flame and now on a glass top. It's as seasoned and non-stick as ever. Just use it like you want, clean it and store it properly and it will serve you well without losing it's season. MHO

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #6
Learning to BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting question. I have the same kind of cast iron griddle. It hasn't been used enough to have a good seasoning on either side. But never thought of that. Will be watching the comments.

UDS, 22" Weber Original kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
Learning to BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2022, 03:46 PM   #7
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I had one just as you describe and it got left behind when we moved. I use both side on my gas stove, over charcoal and camp fires. Never had a problem with burning the seasoning off.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:19 PM   #8
oldgfbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan-que View Post
I had one just as you describe and it got left behind when we moved. I use both side on my gas stove, over charcoal and camp fires. Never had a problem with burning the seasoning off.
Rick was the use somewhat evenly split between the sides and did you have a non-stick surface on the flat side? To be fair, mine have never been completely like teflon, I typically give it a spritz of Pam or BaconUp, but not much.

I'm inclined to just buy another one, unless there is some advantage to Flipity Fliping Flip my griddle. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:21 PM   #9
oldgfbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy D Beerman View Post
Yo G-man, My bad experiences tell me that what you are proposing to do will not yield the results you are trying to achieve. The seasoned finish that took many years of use would be more than "compromised" by exposing it to the direct heat of the propane flame. If you worked years to achieve the seasoned finish you have on the griddle, keep that griddle as it is. Buy another cast iron griddle for what you are wanting to do. Besides, you cannot have too much cast iron ware in the kitchen.

Juggy D Beerman
Former hardware store salesman
To me, the best sales prospect has been another salesperson. Thanks

Old 06-25-2022, 05:26 PM   #10
oldgfbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning to BBQ View Post
Interesting question. I have the same kind of cast iron griddle. It hasn't been used enough to have a good seasoning on either side. But never thought of that. Will be watching the comments.
That's what is great about this forum/site. Incredible experience, great people, and entertaining too!

Old 06-25-2022, 06:42 PM   #11
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgfbbq View Post
Rick was the use somewhat evenly split between the sides and did you have a non-stick surface on the flat side? To be fair, mine have never been completely like teflon, I typically give it a spritz of Pam or BaconUp, but not much.

I'm inclined to just buy another one, unless there is some advantage to Flipity Fliping Flip my griddle. Thanks for the input.
I probably used the smooth side the most for cooking eggs and other breakfast items. I always use a little oil when cooking eggs on cast iron but food will not stick if I didn't.