MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Default Graduation Party! (Updated!)

My twin daughters are headed to IU this summer and in the fall. We are throwing a graduation party for a few of their friends some of our family. I decided to do 2 butts and about 100 chicken legs, green beans, cole slaw, brownies and cake.

Here is the beginning of my weekend cook. The butts are in the fridge waiting to go on the smoker Saturday afternoon. They will be done Sunday along with the chicken. I got 2 butts from Wal-Mart - yes, they are enhanced. But I have used enhanced butts on my last three cooks and noone can tell the difference and neither can I. I won't use enhanced meats for competitions and on-the-side sales, but for a gathering like this I do not mind.

2 Big Wally World Butts...

Untrimmed and Beggin' for Mercy!

Trimmed and Ready for a Massage...

Mustard Slathered and Rubbed!

Chicken Filled Char-Griller! These lovely legs were brined in a solution of apple juice, apple slices and numerous fresh herbs and spices.

First butt came off at 205* internal temp. Wrapped in foil, put in warm cooler and let it rest for 4 hours until time to pull and serve...

No more cluckin' for these chicks!

Butt #2 came off the smoker at 200*. I would have let it go to 205* but I was pressed for time...

Everything came out great! All my daughters friends asked where I bought the BBQ from... They were amazed when they found out I was the cook and wants me to cook again - I may even get some biz from some of their parents who were there!

It was a great time.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”

Last edited by thunter; 05-08-2006 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Updated
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ummm...How long do you plan to smoke those puppies?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista
Ummm...How long do you plan to smoke those puppies?
I usually allow 1 to 1.5 hours per pound so they will probably go 16-20 hours depending on the really sucky weather we're having in Indy right now. I will cook them to 195* and let them rest to 200*.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command

Old 05-06-2006, 04:50 AM   #4
bbqinNC
On the road to being a farker

Based on a picnic shoulder I did last week, I would check the temp around 10 hours to see how close you will be, 16-20 hours seems a little long. I did a 9.5# shoulder and pulled it from the smoker at 205 degrees. It only took 12 hours. Your butts are 8 and 9 lbs, I would think it they would cook in about the same amount of time as mine. I tried to maintain a pit temp of 225 and bumped it up a bit higher for the last 2 hours.
Kenmore Kettle Charcoal grill
bbqinNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2006, 05:03 AM   #5
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Congrats on the Grads
I have one also

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery
Congrats on the Grads
I have one also
Thanks. That makes four graduates for me. My oldest (21) is a sophomore at IU already, I have one that skipped college (20) and is working himself out of my house , the twins are 18 and my youngest is a sophomore in HS age 16. I'm gonna have to start selling a lot Q real quick!

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command

Old 05-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqinNC
Based on a picnic shoulder I did last week, I would check the temp around 10 hours to see how close you will be, 16-20 hours seems a little long. I did a 9.5# shoulder and pulled it from the smoker at 205 degrees. It only took 12 hours. Your butts are 8 and 9 lbs, I would think it they would cook in about the same amount of time as mine. I tried to maintain a pit temp of 225 and bumped it up a bit higher for the last 2 hours.
I use Polder Probe all the way through my butt and brisket cooks so I will be monitoring all the time. If those babies get done under 16-20 hours - Bonus! I think will shoot for a higher temp before taking them off the smoker. Mostly, I take them off at 195* but I think I will let them roll to 200*-205* to see how I like it.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command

Old 05-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Default Updated Main Post!

Hey y'all,

I updated the main post of this thread.