Beef shoulder steak?

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Saw this at Costco last week.

icNhUYuh.jpg

What is this and is it any good? I also saw another cut at Costco I haven't seen before called beef tenderloin tails. Is that any good as well?

The second one you mentioned sounds like the tail ends (thin end) of the tenderloin. They should be nice and tender! :-D

Last edited:
Beef tenderloin tails was $5.19 /lb at Costco Business Center. I thought the price was too cheap to be actual tenderloin. I might have to pick some up next week to test it out.

Shoulder steak is exactly that, a steak cut from the front shoulder. It has a lot of flavor, but it needs to be braised for a long time. All cuts are good, if they are treated properly.

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
Shoulder steak is exactly that, a steak cut from the front shoulder. It has a lot of flavor, but it needs to be braised for a long time. All cuts are good, if they are treated properly.

Looking at the meat, it looks pretty tender so I'm wondering if it can be grilled whole like any other steak. At $8 /lb, it's not cheap cut.

Looking at the meat, it looks pretty tender so I'm wondering if it can be grilled whole like any other steak. At $8 /lb, it's not cheap cut.

It really depends on the cow, and where on the shoulder the steak came from, and how it is butchered. It is basically a chuck steak, but how it is trimmed makes a difference on tenderness. I don't know how much ribeye steak is there, but no way I would pay $8 for shoulder steak. It is good, has great flavor, but for grilling, not the best choice.

wUdleI4.jpg

Another beef shoulder steak option is a top blade steak or flatiron steak, these are from the upper shoulder, the clod area, and became popular when the University of Nebraska started a marketing plan for this cut. It's said that by trimming out this particular steak, it can add $4 to $5 to the hoof price of each steer

It really depends on the cow, and where on the shoulder the steak came from, and how it is butchered. It is basically a chuck steak, but how it is trimmed makes a difference on tenderness. I don't know how much ribeye steak is there, but no way I would pay $8 for shoulder steak. It is good, has great flavor, but for grilling, not the best choice.

I'm confused because it can't be London Broil because it's too expensive. Costco sells cheap London Broil separately and calls it London Broil. And I also saw Beef Shoulder Steak in cryovac bags at Costco Business Center for the first time so it's coming from the processing plant like this. The Business Center version was untrimmed so it's little cheaper and under $6 /lb.

Trimmed Choice ribeye steak is $10 /lb at regular Costco warehouse and untrimmed cryovac Choice ribeye is under $8 /lb at Costco Business Center.

I don't think Costco would be selling this beef shoulder steak at premium steak prices if this cut wasn't super tender. The way they trimmed and packaged this steak suggests it's to be grilled and not braised/smoked.

wUdleI4.jpg

Another beef shoulder steak option is a top blade steak or flatiron steak, these are from the upper shoulder, the clod area, and became popular when the University of Nebraska started a marketing plan for this cut. It's said that by trimming out this particular steak, it can add $4 to $5 to the hoof price of each steer

I'm familiar with top blade and flat iron steaks. They sell it at grocery stores here, and I butchered my own flat iron steaks out of beef shoulder clod I bought from Costco Business Center.

I'm pretty sure it's just part of the chuck steak, if you look theres several different muscle groups in a whole chuck steak, one portion in particular is more tender, thats probably it. still expensive for chuck. The cheaper London broil are steaks cut from the hind quarter, most likely a top round.

My understanding is that three steaks came out of the "hey figure out how to cut up a chuck/shoulder and come up with marketable steaks--teres, flatiron and Denver steaks. I've done the Denver steaks and the flavor was fine but a bit tough to cook like a typical steak IMO.

Back