MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #1
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Default Beef shoulder steak?

Saw this at Costco last week.

What is this and is it any good? I also saw another cut at Costco I haven't seen before called beef tenderloin tails. Is that any good as well?
ulc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

The second one you mentioned sounds like the tail ends (thin end) of the tenderloin. They should be nice and tender!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cowgirl; Yesterday at 07:53 PM..
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #3
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Beef tenderloin tails was $5.19 /lb at Costco Business Center. I thought the price was too cheap to be actual tenderloin. I might have to pick some up next week to test it out.

Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM   #4
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Nevermind reading is hard

Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM   #5
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Shoulder steak is exactly that, a steak cut from the front shoulder. It has a lot of flavor, but it needs to be braised for a long time. All cuts are good, if they are treated properly.
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Today, 09:22 AM   #6
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Shoulder steak is exactly that, a steak cut from the front shoulder. It has a lot of flavor, but it needs to be braised for a long time. All cuts are good, if they are treated properly.
Looking at the meat, it looks pretty tender so I'm wondering if it can be grilled whole like any other steak. At $8 /lb, it's not cheap cut.

Old Today, 09:29 AM   #7
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulc View Post
Looking at the meat, it looks pretty tender so I'm wondering if it can be grilled whole like any other steak. At $8 /lb, it's not cheap cut.
It really depends on the cow, and where on the shoulder the steak came from, and how it is butchered. It is basically a chuck steak, but how it is trimmed makes a difference on tenderness. I don't know how much ribeye steak is there, but no way I would pay $8 for shoulder steak. It is good, has great flavor, but for grilling, not the best choice.
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Today, 01:35 PM   #8
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Another beef shoulder steak option is a top blade steak or flatiron steak, these are from the upper shoulder, the clod area, and became popular when the University of Nebraska started a marketing plan for this cut. It's said that by trimming out this particular steak, it can add $4 to $5 to the hoof price of each steer

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Today, 02:51 PM   #9
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
It really depends on the cow, and where on the shoulder the steak came from, and how it is butchered. It is basically a chuck steak, but how it is trimmed makes a difference on tenderness. I don't know how much ribeye steak is there, but no way I would pay $8 for shoulder steak. It is good, has great flavor, but for grilling, not the best choice.
I'm confused because it can't be London Broil because it's too expensive. Costco sells cheap London Broil separately and calls it London Broil. And I also saw Beef Shoulder Steak in cryovac bags at Costco Business Center for the first time so it's coming from the processing plant like this. The Business Center version was untrimmed so it's little cheaper and under $6 /lb.

Trimmed Choice ribeye steak is $10 /lb at regular Costco warehouse and untrimmed cryovac Choice ribeye is under $8 /lb at Costco Business Center.

I don't think Costco would be selling this beef shoulder steak at premium steak prices if this cut wasn't super tender. The way they trimmed and packaged this steak suggests it's to be grilled and not braised/smoked.

Old Today, 02:57 PM   #10
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

Another beef shoulder steak option is a top blade steak or flatiron steak, these are from the upper shoulder, the clod area, and became popular when the University of Nebraska started a marketing plan for this cut. It's said that by trimming out this particular steak, it can add $4 to $5 to the hoof price of each steer
I'm familiar with top blade and flat iron steaks. They sell it at grocery stores here, and I butchered my own flat iron steaks out of beef shoulder clod I bought from Costco Business Center.