"Grilled Shellfish!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) Ends June 17th!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new Throwdown category is...

"Grilled Shellfish!"

DSC_0043_zps9fdwju7w.jpg

This was Charred Apron's entry in the 2015 "It Came From the Sea, Part 2" Throwdown.

As chosen by thirdeye for winning the "I Like Big Butts" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

thirdeye said:
My proposed pick for the next TD is Grilled Shellfish... meaning any shellfish as long as it's grilled! Standard TD rules apply, so grilled can mean a number of different cooking methods - directly over hot coals on a charcoal grill, on a gas grill, in a skillet, on a griddle, etc.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/31 through Monday 6/17.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 6/17.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
I’m gonna be all over this one! Never done any shell fish before. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm excited about this. Doing back to back throwdowns…. been years since I've done any. Now I finally have the time. Going to be hard to choose just one idea.

So, clarification questions.

Griddle or smoker not allowed? Grill only?

Scallops, shrimp, clams, mussels, all shellfish?

So, clarification questions.

Griddle or smoker not allowed? Grill only?

Scallops, shrimp, clams, mussels, all shellfish?

My intent for this Throwdown was specifically "grilled shellfish", so you should interpret that accordingly. 12 hours ago it was not a good decision to give such a detailed and confusing reply, so I've asked that it be scrubbed.

Your examples are all shellfish varieties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed we have only 7 days left and you know what guys and gals...., maybe it's too late in the game to be defining or re-defining anything. Some folks might already have plans and some might already have a cook from this weekend and haven't posted yet.... anyways, there is no reason to spoil anything like that. These Throwdowns are all about cooking and having fun. I think everyone should interpret the theme of "grilled shellfish" however they please (within the Throwdown rules) and let's get cookin'.

EDIT: With some special help from the Mod Squad, we are back on track. Many thanks guys. Joel & Justin I'll be sending you guys a PM shortly.

Last edited:
I’m fine if this doesn’t count. We had a good dinner last night either way. I’m not worried about it one way or another.

Thanks.

I just noticed we have only 7 days left and you know what guys and gals...., maybe it's too late in the game to be defining or re-defining anything. Some folks might already have plans and some might already have a cook from this weekend and haven't posted yet.... anyways, there is no reason to spoil anything like that. These Throwdowns are all about cooking and having fun. I think everyone should interpret the theme of "grilled shellfish" however they please (within the Throwdown rules) and let's get cookin'.

EDIT: With some special help from the Mod Squad, we are back on track. Many thanks guys. Joel & Justin I'll be sending you guys a PM shortly.

I would like to publicly apologize for being a huge pain in the A$$ for the mods, other contestants, and thirdeye.

As usual, I like to poke holes in stuff and stir the pot. I've been told it's part of my unique charm, or something like that.

Either way, I forgot the first rule of the TDs. Don't take this too seriously. It's a friendly competition.

Tip o the hat and a deep bow to you all. Sorry I made this more complicated than necessary :)

I would like to publicly apologize for being a huge pain in the A$$ for the mods, other contestants, and thirdeye.

As usual, I like to poke holes in stuff and stir the pot. I've been told it's part of my unique charm, or something like that.

Either way, I forgot the first rule of the TDs. Don't take this too seriously. It's a friendly competition.

Tip o the hat and a deep bow to you all. Sorry I made this more complicated than necessary :)

I think I over-complicated it. That said, I kind of have a feeling my name has come up a time or two in the secret Moderator Chat room because it's common for me to ask questions because some of my cooks are not traditional. For example in the 2019 Ribeye Master Throwdown I asked if the ribeye could be cut up before cooking. The answer was something like yes, but in the past that hasn't worked out very well. I did it anyway and tied for second place with THIS ENTRY.

8K7RnX6.jpg

I’m fine if this doesn’t count. We had a good dinner last night either way. I’m not worried about it one way or another.

Thanks.

thirdeye's original category description didn't get into the specifics as to defining what "grilled" actually meant. Stlsportser's question was a legitimate one, so after a number of PM exchanges, thirdeye and I decided it was best to keep it general as it relates to grilling.

No apologies or retraction of entries is necessary at this point, and questions are always welcome!

No apologies or retraction of entries is necessary at this point, and questions are always welcome!

Can I retract my apology?

Thanks.

Looks damn good to me, even though I don't see the shells. Just kidding, I would nail that plate anytime.

Last edited:
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? :biggrin1: :mrgreen: :crazy: :brick:

Back