MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #31
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnkPanther View Post
There is member on here who has one and loves it
I've been following his posts.
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #32
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
How does it do on searing steaks? I really like the adjustable grate on the akorn that allows me to raise the charcoal up really close to the steaks for a good sear after the sous vide. I didn't like how the akorn grilled until I got the adjustable grate.
This is hard to answer because everyone's definition of "hot enough to sear a steak" is different. Mine is pretty high and I'm happy with it. It will get over 800 degrees. However, once I added the Slow N Sear it took it to a completely different level. Sometimes I can get a sear in 45 seconds per side. It's crazy.

Most people are perfectly happy with the sear they get off a cheap gas grill. (I'm not judging them for that at all. I'm just saying they are happy with it.) For them, the Summit would be a night and day difference. It's basically like any other kamado.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #33
BlueandGoldBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Don't know if i missed it, but did the replacement gasket solve the problem?
BlueandGoldBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #34
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I've been following his posts.

Ditto. I had a cheap kamado and may want another in future. I certainly don't need anymore grills, but.....

Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #35
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

That was a great video. Job well done!
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #36
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Another great video Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
When they fix the problems you listed, maybe I'd consider a Summit. But it's a year later and the problems you have listed were commented on from the beginning. I could go out and lay down the cash for a Summit, but it still has that half-assed look and construction. For example, the leg sockets in place of a bracket for the ash catcher and that gas igniter that looks like someone added it as an after market item. For the price they want for it, improvements should have been made by now. So it remains on the "Maybe in the future when they fix the problems" list. Which means that they will probably never sell me one because something better will come along from someone who listens to what people are saying.
Dads, I hear you, but besides the cheap, ugly left side wheels, the rest I don't even notice any more. One day I plan to do some research and replace those plastic wheels with something that looks a little more rugged. The leg sockets don't bother me, and I am not sure they ever did. I don't spend a lot of time looking around down there, so maybe it's an out of sight thing. I am not sure what you mean by the gas igniter.

But, I agree, Weber needs to listen more. I didn't like hearing about Jason's CS issue. And I want a damn rotisserie for this thing. Then it will be able to do it all...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #37
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGoldBBQ View Post
Don't know if i missed it, but did the replacement gasket solve the problem?
No, honestly, the customer service person got in a huff about it and wouldn't give me the go ahead to change it out...much less instructions on how to do it exactly and I didn't want to get into it and have some sort of problem and not be able to put it back together. She was literally more frustrated that somebody went around her with a potential solution than she was interested in figuring out if it might work.

Also, I have a contact who works for a company Weber hires to do marketing who (they say) is going to send somebody by to fix it so I decided to let them take a look at it. I'm wondering if since they do the marketing for this they feel more motivated to take care of it than Weber customer service itself does.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]

Old 08-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #38
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Another great video! But I'm still waiting for your PBC review!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #39
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Another great video! But I'm still waiting for your PBC review!
LOL. I have actually never used one of those. I hear good things though.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #40
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

Best sear I've done on it is so a reverse sear and the. Get it going super hot and the. I put my Grillgrates from my Rectec on it upside down and seared on the flat part. Awesome crust all over the steak.

Justin, do you have any tips on how to get a cleaner burn while doing lower temps? That's what I struggle with.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #41
Monte Cristo
is one Smokin' Farker

Great video...you make a great point about the wheels.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #42
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskres View Post
Best sear I've done on it is so a reverse sear and the. Get it going super hot and the. I put my Grillgrates from my Rectec on it upside down and seared on the flat part. Awesome crust all over the steak.

Justin, do you have any tips on how to get a cleaner burn while doing lower temps? That's what I struggle with.
How are you lighting it? This is actually something the Slow N Sear helps with. Honestly though, the only time I've ever had a problem with dirty smoke messing up a cook is on the Akorn...and that's just because it was dirty the whole time. Usually with kamados dirty smoke if it happens at all is only for an hour...maybe 2...and I've never noticed an off taste from it even on those occasions when I put the meat on immediately after lighting the grill.

Are you noticing off flavors?

Old 08-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #43
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom
Default Re: Goldens' Cast Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnkPanther View Post
There is member on here who has one and loves it
And that would be me. I don't want to sidetrack Justin's thread on the Weber, but I do have my Goldens' thread buried here in the forum (search for Goldens), plus I've posted a number of cooks I've done on it since owning it. Any questions folks might have about the Goldens, I'd be happy to answer. Sorry, I don't do video reviews and couldn't match the quality of those put out by BBM.

I have owned a Bayou Classic Cypress ceramic, which served me well until the lid cracked due to hinge misalignment. Not the best of cookers, certainly not up to BGE standards but it was decent while it lasted. And as the sig says, I've also got a Bubba Keg which was my go to Kamado until the Goldens arrived.

I'm still experimenting with the Goldens. No overnight low and slows, no pizza cooks (yet). I've yet to make desserts, bread, a ton of other things I've made on the Keg and the Cypress. Simply not enough time to cook/grill/bake/bbq everthing I'd like to!

-lunchman

Old 08-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #44
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

Forgot to add -

BBM, great video as always. Enjoy watching your channel.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #45
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I enjoyed your video, well done and thoughtful. Maybe in a few years from now if my Akorn dies I'll be able to find one on Craigslist. On the other hand I like that the Akorn takes up a small square footage.

Tags
weber summit charcoal grill, wscg