MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #61
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
Are you guys removing your pellets after you cook? I am just east of Raleigh NC and was wondering if I should worry about the humidity swelling up pellets. As of now I have the PG in the garage but wanted to move her to the back with the rest of the fleet
It will be covered when not in use.
I have an old style, without a door at the bottom to let pellets out. That means digging them out. I have never made the effort to unload no matter the weather. I also use mine almost every week and sometimes 3 times a week depending on our menu, so they never sit in the hopper a real long time. May be a good idea though, just to be safe, if you think it will sit for a while.

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #62
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Spatchcock chickens are some of my favorite things to cook on the GMG. They come out unbelievable every single time. 325 for about 2 hours to 165. Best $7 I'll ever spend.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #63
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
Are you guys removing your pellets after you cook? I am just east of Raleigh NC and was wondering if I should worry about the humidity swelling up pellets. As of now I have the PG in the garage but wanted to move her to the back with the rest of the fleet
It will be covered when not in use.
We live in not far from you in Wilson. Had our 1st Rec Tec out under a covered porch for several years. Always kept the cover on when not in use. Never had an issue with pellets. It was always ready to go. The 2 new ones we got we roll into the garage when not in use.
jgbmgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #64
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

I've had my pellet in my hopper for up to 3 weeks. Keep the GMG covered and never had a issue with pellets left in the hopper.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #65
stljay
On the road to being a farker

At least with the GMG, I've not cared for chicken skin that much. Yes the meat comes out moist and mildly smokey but it always seems a bit rubbery, even cooking at 350. Granted the sample size is small but I much prefer the 3 cooks with chicken I've done on the drum over anything I've done on the pellet. At 350, the drum infuses a lot more flavor than a pellet grill and the skin is definitely crispier. I have always thought the pellet grill was better at beef and pork than chicken.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #66
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljay View Post
At least with the GMG, I've not cared for chicken skin that much. Yes the meat comes out moist and mildly smokey but it always seems a bit rubbery, even cooking at 350.
So I think I've found the solution for the leathery/rubbery skin. It's a combination of a few things I've heard/done over the years.

To get the skin to crisp up/be edible, you need to dehydrate it and render it (duh!) but doing that correctly is the trick. Now when I was oven cooking pork belly (skin on) in the UK, everyone always said to rub the skin with salt so it will crisp up properly (OMG pork belly cracklin' is the best) so that's what I always did and ended up with nice crispy skin. Oil is the second trick to get things to render quickly.

So, on to the tricks.

1. Pre-season your yardbird about 30 minutes before you cook it. If your rub has salt, you're good. If it doesn't, you may want to consider salting, then applying the rub. If you can't tolerate salt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Oil yer bird. I saw a recipe that recommended buttering the chicken, then applying rub. What a giant pain in the butt that was, messy and not very effective. I put the rub on, they spray it down with olive oil and LET IT SIT. This is part of the 30 min rest thing. The spices will absorb the oil and then they won't burn, and the oil will naturally spread itself out into a nice even coating. The big thing here is that the oil helps with heat transfer to the skin to render it. It also helps prevent the skin from drying out. Don't leave this step out.

3. Bird goes on the pellet smoker skin side down first. Cook for 30 mins before flipping. This starts rendering the skin, since heat mainly comes from the bottom up on a pellet smoker, hence putting it skin side down. I cook at 275°. You can go higher, but I probably wouldn't exceed 300°, but feel free to experiment. Once you flip, you've probably got 15 mins until it's done.

I've been doing chicken this way for a while and have had good success. Haven't tested it with a whole bird, obviously hard to put that skin side down unless spatchcocked.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #67
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljay View Post
At least with the GMG, I've not cared for chicken skin that much. Yes the meat comes out moist and mildly smokey but it always seems a bit rubbery, even cooking at 350. Granted the sample size is small but I much prefer the 3 cooks with chicken I've done on the drum over anything I've done on the pellet. At 350, the drum infuses a lot more flavor than a pellet grill and the skin is definitely crispier. I have always thought the pellet grill was better at beef and pork than chicken.
I agree, the drum does a better job with the skin. But, we don't usually eat the skin anyway. With that said, my PBC also cooks amazing chicken. But, I'm an equal opportunity smoker :)

The only time ive gotten good skin on a bird was our turkey last Thanksgiving, but that was on for much much longer than these little chickens.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #68
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
I have an old style, without a door at the bottom to let pellets out. That means digging them out. I have never made the effort to unload no matter the weather. I also use mine almost every week and sometimes 3 times a week depending on our menu, so they never sit in the hopper a real long time. May be a good idea though, just to be safe, if you think it will sit for a while.
I have a pellet drop. Takes 5 seconds. I have never removed pellets either nor would I plan to. However I keep mine in the garage and, if I was to leave my grill out in humid conditions for days on end, I may just drop the pellets and put them in the bucket in the nice cool garage. I am always changing out pellets anyway, so not really a big deal to me.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #69
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
I agree, the drum does a better job with the skin. But, we don't usually eat the skin anyway. With that said, my PBC also cooks amazing chicken. But, I'm an equal opportunity smoker :)

The only time ive gotten good skin on a bird was our turkey last Thanksgiving, but that was on for much much longer than these little chickens.

Best Turkey I have ever had was deep fried. However that is a different forum I guess.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #70
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Down here on the Texas gulf coast, I was concerned about humidity and my pellets falling apart, jamming or otherwise. Bought airtight storage boxes for them on the porch. Well, then I ended up buying more pellets on sale than I could keep in a box, so in the bag on the porch they sat. Been about a year now for several bags and they are just as fine as they day I bought them. It's a deep porch and they don't get any rain spray, but they are essentially outside.

I also don't dump my pellets (can't) but they get used pretty frequently. Cookers are also under the same porch. I'll move them from one cooker to the other so the ones that have been out the longest get used first, but that's about as much as I do.

As long as you keep them out of water, they should be fine.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #71
DMosher
Knows what a fatty is.

I pulled the trigger on a Mak 2 star last week from Big Poppa Smokers. Will be delivered to the house tomorrow. Sitting at the freight yard right now. Looking forward to adding some posts to this thread in the coming weeks.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #72
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMosher View Post
I pulled the trigger on a Mak 2 star last week from Big Poppa Smokers. Will be delivered to the house tomorrow. Sitting at the freight yard right now. Looking forward to adding some posts to this thread in the coming weeks.

From one 2 Star owner to another... CONGRATS!!!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #73
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Cool! Hope you get to enjoy some yummy food for a long time to come!

Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #74
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Down here on the Texas gulf coast, I was concerned about humidity and my pellets falling apart, jamming or otherwise. Bought airtight storage boxes for them on the porch. Well, then I ended up buying more pellets on sale than I could keep in a box, so in the bag on the porch they sat. Been about a year now for several bags and they are just as fine as they day I bought them. It's a deep porch and they don't get any rain spray, but they are essentially outside.

I also don't dump my pellets (can't) but they get used pretty frequently. Cookers are also under the same porch. I'll move them from one cooker to the other so the ones that have been out the longest get used first, but that's about as much as I do.

As long as you keep them out of water, they should be fine.
Well there you go!! It will be interesting over time to hear if anybody does run into trouble or if indeed moisture does affecting cooking.

I was thinking the other night about people that don’t have a dump feature can shop vac them out or get a bucket head for a 5 gallon bucket and suck em out and then put a lid on and call it a day! I think the bucket head is like $20 or $30 bucks if they still make them? A five gallon bucket is a great way to store pellets, not to mention they are only a few bucks at HD or Lowes. I attached a video below of the bucket head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhMND3qAy6o

Quote:
Nice! Looks like a nice grill. Certainly would like to hear some feedback on it.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #75
DMosher
Knows what a fatty is.

Well got the Mak 2 star delivered today. I spent around 3 1/2 hours putting it together. Did 99 percent of it myself except for help lifting the smoker onto the base. Over all impression-
Packing for shipping was very well done. No issues what so every with the shipper or the packing of the grill parts. Going to take me about 3 weeks to cut up all the cardboard and recycle it in my trash can. The build directions are straight forward and easy to understand. Very impressed with the build quality. Only tools needed are allen wrench (they Supplied) 1/4 inch socket and a phelps screw driver for the optional front door. Plan to do the burn in tomorrow, so will let you know how that goes. Plan to cook on it as soon as possible.