MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #9691
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Boys BBQ View Post
Here is my coffee can setup. Hot coals go in, the can slides out. I give credit to Cooking With Ry on Youtube for this one. It has really helped my coals burn more evenly.
I tried this technique once and got wild temp swings. I'm a temp monitor PBCer.
Let me know how this works for you.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2019, 04:50 AM   #9692
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs106 View Post
How did you get the Fred Flintstone t-bone home without your car tipping over??
well i had to counter balance my truck with some rocks from the quarry (mr. slate was pissed btw!)- a pain but the real issue was the stop signs on the way home- feet really took a beating with all the extra weight.
Goose52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #9693
hs106
Got Wood.

Mr. Slate probably boils his ribs! Yabba Dabba BBQ
hs106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #9694
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs106 View Post
Mr. Slate probably boils his ribs! Yabba Dabba BBQ
if memory serves (and it usually doesn't) mr. slate was always pissed, but with employees like fred & barney who can blame him. yabba dabba bbq might be a good name for a bbq food truck specializing in beef ribs or steaks for 2. hs106=genius.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #9695
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Hectic 4th Cook & Question

Putting 6 baby back racks (3 with sauce, 3 with maple glaze), 2 half chickens, and 1 brined turkey breast on the pbc today. do you think this much meat will increase the cooking time?

Old 07-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #9696
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
Putting 6 baby back racks (3 with sauce, 3 with maple glaze), 2 half chickens, and 1 brined turkey breast on the pbc today. do you think thismuch meat will increase the cooking time?
Man you're makin that PBC work today!
I think it'll increase your cook time a little but not a lot. I'd figure 5 hrs for all that. Just a guess though.

Good luck!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #9697
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Man you're makin that PBC work today!
I think it'll increase your cook time a little but not a lot. I'd figure 5 hrs for all that. Just a guess though.

Good luck!
appreciate the heads up

Old 07-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #9698
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I've read a lot of posts in this thread because I've been a drummer for about 12 or 13 years. I saw my first PB up close in April. Realistically, I think I have read about 150 or less of the 700 posts here, and now I'm thinking of buying one.

Would you PB gals and guys tell me your top two (2) pros, and cons?
Pros - Large Amount of Food in a very Small Footprint (8 Chicken Halves/Eight Racks of Ribs). Great flavor profile from the drippings on charcoal. Inexpensive for the versatility, and I love drilling a hole in the bone and hanging Tomahawk Ribeye's. People freak out when they see that, or a 5 pound beef tenderloin hanging.

Cons - IMO pretty much useless for high heat grilling/searing compared to my Weber or PK Grill. Charcoal basket bottom can warp over time with high heat, and you need to monitor this as a sagging bottom really affects your air flow. Ash pan is sold separately and is a must-have for easy cleanup.

They regularly pop up on Craigslist in my area for $150 to $200 range. I like mine so much I bought one for a friend.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #9699
gwlee7
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Greg

Hello fellow PBCers,

Haven’t posted in a while but thought I would drop by and say that I wanted to fix some pulled pork as one choice for a get together tomorrow night. I needed to also complete some yard work today to get ready. So, I set everything up and fired the PBC up and put a butt on at 8:30 this morning. Set the temp alert on the FireBoard for 205* and got to working in the yard. Got the yard work done rested for about an hour and then got the beep around 2:45ish. Wrapped in foil and the bone pulled clean about 2hrs later. Love this cooker.

Hope everyone is well!!
gwlee7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #9700
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
Hello fellow PBCers,

Haven’t posted in a while but thought I would drop by and say that I wanted to fix some pulled pork as one choice for a get together tomorrow night. I needed to also complete some yard work today to get ready. So, I set everything up and fired the PBC up and put a butt on at 8:30 this morning. Set the temp alert on the FireBoard for 205* and got to working in the yard. Got the yard work done rested for about an hour and then got the beep around 2:45ish. Wrapped in foil and the bone pulled clean about 2hrs later. Love this cooker.

Hope everyone is well!!

That's why we love the PBC! It's almost like cheating!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 05:28 AM   #9701
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Found some petite sirloins in the bottom of the freezer (my go to for beef stews in the winter) so i hung them in the PBC after they got needled & a 24 hour bath in Sweet Baby Ray's Teriyaki marinade. Turned out much better than on a kettle where the marinade burns so easily on the meat. I didn't season beyond that but will SPOG next time. Found some venison steaks as well. Has anyone here made jerky on their PBC? Time for me to try i'm thinking.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #9702
Tbro
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tom

Hello, I’m thinking of buy a PBC. I have two questions.
If cooking ribs it looks like the lower half of the ribs would get done sooner or even maybe burn being so close to the coals? I’ve watched video and it doesn’t seem to happen, but I cant see how it wouldn’t.
Also, I don’t suppose you can smoke for long periods of time in a cold climate because these units aren’t insulated very well?
Thanks

Old 07-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #9703
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbro View Post
If cooking ribs it looks like the lower half of the ribs would get done sooner or even maybe burn being so close to the coals? I’ve watched video and it doesn’t seem to happen, but I cant see how it wouldn’t.
Also, I don’t suppose you can smoke for long periods of time in a cold climate because these units aren’t insulated very well?
Thanks
-Depends on the length. If the end of the ribs aren’t at least a couple inches from hot coals, mine get a little toasty if they hang the entire time. Sometimes I’ll hook it an extra bone “up” to avoid that problem. It’s no biggie usually.

-I smoke all the time in cold. Still get 6+ hours easy. Way back in the early pages of this thread FWI has pics of a product from Home Depot he wraps his PBC in to insulate it. I always thought that was interesting but never did it. Mine goes fine without.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #9704
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbro View Post
Thanks
I don't experience the temps you probably do, but I don't notice a difference in performance if it is 100 degrees or 20 degrees.

As for the ribs, sometimes the fat cascading down the ribs will burn and create some burnt fat icicles. At worst you lose the last bone. Being able to do 8 racks with so little fuel in so little space makes up for this for me.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2019, 05:56 AM   #9705
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Rookie Rolls Fatty

Before i try to insert some pics, i have to ask brethren veterans- are fatty's considered gateway q?

Anyway, last thursday i rolled a fatty and found a small pork loin in the freezer.

IMG_0064 by Mark Tate, on Flickr

IMG_0065 by Mark Tate, on Flickr

Then i moved the PBC to the cool side of the house

IMG_0067 by Mark Tate, on Flickr

started it up and put in the meat. Blended 2 different fastbreak sausages and made 2 patties to compare taste and to get fatty to 1.5#.

IMG_0066 by Mark Tate, on Flickr

IMG_0068 by Mark Tate, on Flickr

The cherry loin was excellent if a lil overdone; the fatty was good. Next time i will have a lil hotter fire and start the maple glaze sooner.

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it