Chuck Roast on PBC

NickyDeuce

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So I have 2-3 lb chuck roast that I would like to cook on the Pit Barrel Cooker tonight... My question is, should I use a little less charcoal? I'm only planning on bringing the meat to around 120-125... Pulling it and wrapping in foil until it comes to around 140. Its just really hard to justify using 8 lbs of coals... I should note I'm not planning on using any smoke (I know), just coals...

I would advise you to use a full basked regardless of the amount of the meat or time of the cook. It just doesn't perform well with less filled basket of charcoal. You can always snuff out the charcoal to save it.

I gather that at an IT of 140* you plan on slicing it? It won't be pullable by then. I don't have a PBC, so can't comment on the best use. SSV3 has experience there. I'd go with his wisdom...

I just did a chickie on my pbc with a full basket ... wrapped at 175 ... actually tossed in a pan for psb and added a stout. Let it roll for another hour ... tried the fork twist method for being done ... wouldn't twirl so re-covered and let it go for another hour ... then it passed the fork test... and I pulled and chowed down..... so all in all ... I think you'll have to cook it a bit longer to pull ... forget the temp ... just fork it !!!

Did you guys hang the chuck or use the grates? I assume grates. I am planning on doing a few this weekend on my PBC

I always hang all cuts until 160ish and lay it on the grates past that If it needs to go higher.

Yeah that chuckie needs to be cooked fully or it's gonna be a tough S.O.B. take it to 160ish then wrap till probe tender. Full load of coals.

I would advise you to use a full basked regardless of the amount of the meat or time of the cook. It just doesn't perform well with less filled basket of charcoal. You can always snuff out the charcoal to save it.

Really? I wonder why that is?

I did an almost 7 hr cook a couple weeks ago and about 3/4 of the coal was gone but it was still holding temps fine. Seems starting with less would be the same......Not disagreeing with you just trying to figure out why it wouldn't perform well with less to start?

To the OP, if you do need to start with a full basket, you can shut down the PBC with magnets, or put the coal basket in a weber (or similar) and close all the vents. That's what I do. That way you can save whatever coal doesn't burn if you want.

I would go way less charcoal...probably add wood and cook it medium mellow temps whether be slice or pull.

Use the grate and put foil under the chuckie. Trust me this method will do well.

Edit check that ... use minion method with regular amount of charcoal and do it like^^^^^

I would go way less charcoal...probably add wood and cook it medium mellow temps whether be slice or pull.

Use the grate and put foil under the chuckie. Trust me this method will do well.

Edit check that ... use minion method with regular amount of charcoal and do it like^^^^^

Or follow the instructions that Noah post for pork butts: Full basket, hang until good bark, then wrap until you reach your desired level of tenderness. Last time I made a chuck roast it was not tender enough to pull, but the slices were great and I also did some chopped. Like a poor man's brisket!

Really? I wonder why that is?

I did an almost 7 hr cook a couple weeks ago and about 3/4 of the coal was gone but it was still holding temps fine. Seems starting with less would be the same......Not disagreeing with you just trying to figure out why it wouldn't perform well with less to start?

To the OP, if you do need to start with a full basket, you can shut down the PBC with magnets, or put the coal basket in a weber (or similar) and close all the vents. That's what I do. That way you can save whatever coal doesn't burn if you want.

+1 on moving your basket to the Weber. That's what I did tonight. Did not want to mess with the magnets as I was afraid they might scratch up the new porcelain coating!!!!!

Or follow the instructions that Noah post for pork butts: Full basket, hang until good bark, then wrap until you reach your desired level of tenderness. Last time I made a chuck roast it was not tender enough to pull, but the slices were great and I also did some chopped. Like a poor man's brisket!

Noah could add some additional methods for his own cooker if he knew them...nothing against him but Yes his machine could do so much more in terms of methods and a couple changes to the drum....not changing the general appearance of it but functionality.

Noah could add some additional methods for his own cooker if he knew them...nothing against him but Yes his machine could do so much more in terms of methods and a couple changes to the drum....not changing the general appearance of it but functionality.

No real need to try different methods or modify the design when the food turns out great every time. Remember he is selling something that works for the masses who have never made good Q, and it works for pros like Mr. Dawson without having to do any fiddeling or mods.

No real need to try different methods or modify the design when the food turns out great every time. Remember he is selling something that works for the masses who have never made good Q, and it works for pros like Mr. Dawson without having to do any fiddeling or mods.

Bob NEVER stop trying to perfect your craft in the machine you use and to use it better....kinda blasphemy.:p

I always start with a full basket in my PBC (I buy it at 25 cents/lb so it isn't breaking the bank). I would hang that chuck roast until it gets a nice color and glistens like a college girl on the beach in summertime. Then I'd move it to foil or a pan with a bit of flavorful liquid and let it go until it gets to the desired tenderness. I would use the remaining cook time to throw on a bonus meal to cook for later!

I have no idea what your plan is for this chuck roast, or if you have ever done one before, but I can't imagine it will be hardly edible at 140, I would think it would be tough as nails, would like to hear more on your plan just out of curiosity.

KC

I always start with a full basket in my PBC (I buy it at 25 cents/lb so it isn't breaking the bank). I would hang that chuck roast until it gets a nice color and glistens like a college girl on the beach in summertime. Then I'd move it to foil or a pan with a bit of flavorful liquid and let it go until it gets to the desired tenderness. I would use the remaining cook time to throw on a bonus meal to cook for later!

Good ideas. The most descriptive explanation of when to wrap I have ever read. Does it matter what college they attend?

Back