MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
pabbqnewb
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Sourcing Wood

Living in Texas, sourcing wood for our hungry smokers is no big deal but now I live in central PA am and having a bit of trouble as BBQ isn't as huge up here. How do you all that don't live in the south source your splits for your stick burners?
pabbqnewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Craigslist....

https://pennstate.craigslist.org/grd...724364382.html
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
frayedend
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

I had this question too. Being in Massachusetts, there are lots of places selling firewood. But how the heck can I identify the species. Mostly it's probably oak. But I don't want to get stuck using something I shouldn't. There could be black locust mixed in and that would suck.

I mostly use charcoal and wood chunks I buy in bags but I want to go 100% wood.
frayedend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
bgross88
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : B

Like Sportster said, use Craigslist. There's a ton of wood for sale in our area(I'm near Hershey), but I checked Craigslist and found some good looking stuff between here and State College.

Once you find someone you like, I'd recommend staying with them. You might be able to order custom sized splits/wood types/etc.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #5
pabbqnewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgross88 View Post
Like Sportster said, use Craigslist. There's a ton of wood for sale in our area(I'm near Hershey), but I checked Craigslist and found some good looking stuff between here and State College.

Once you find someone you like, I'd recommend staying with them. You might be able to order custom sized splits/wood types/etc.
That makes sense! How do you ensure though that the wood has been properly stored, seasoned, and isn't too green? Are you just going out on a limb by trusting what these guys say or are there steps you can take to inspect the wood yourself before a large purchase?

Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
northof8
On the road to being a farker

I cut mine myself but if I had to, I would just find someone who cuts up oak for firewood and buy from them. Check the papers, around here there are a number of people selling oak by the 1/2 or full cord and PA should have the same. You should be able to go talk to them and make sure you are getting good stuff.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

We found our last load of cherry on facebook marketplace in PA. He wasn't too far into the state from NJ, but I can get his contact info for you if you want if you don't think it's too far..

Old 10-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

My Craigslist usually has guys willing to give you a tree if you cut it down. So if you know your trees and have some time, you could get a fair amount of wood fairly easiliy.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbqnewb View Post
That makes sense! How do you ensure though that the wood has been properly stored, seasoned, and isn't too green? Are you just going out on a limb by trusting what these guys say or are there steps you can take to inspect the wood yourself before a large purchase?
Generally these guys make good money by splitting and seasoning their own wood, to deliver the next season.

I've been getting wood from random Craigslist sellers for years. I've had some thats too green...some thats overly dry..and I have had some where they criss-cross stack it which gives you less wood. You can always refuse it when they show up if its obviously dirty or too green.

Once you find a good supplier....order from them again. One of the guys I have used will even call me every fall and see if I'm in the market.

And, even when the wood was greener or dryer than I prefer....it still worked well enough until I could find another source....or let it season a bit more.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

$40 moisture meter.........

Old 10-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #11
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Good lord, son, you're in Pennsylvania! There are hardwood trees everywhere!

As many others have noted, check craigslist, ads in the paper, look for signs by the road, random trucks full of wood parked by the road, etc.

Do your best to learn how to identify species of wood. It takes time and practice. Find a good reference book that shows pictures of bark and leaves. It helps if you have a friend who knows wood and can go along with you to shop. If you have the means, cut your own wood. There's no better way to learn how to ID wood and get a feel for what good hardwood looks and feels like.

The good news is that the vast majority of hardwoods in PA are at least passably good for smoking. Stay away from anything that is light and pithy, like sycamore, aspen, tulip tree, basswood, and tree of heaven. Black locust is pretty much the only dense hardwood that would be bad for cooking.

When you're looking at a stack of wood that someone else cut and split, it is difficult to tell if it is seasoned. Checking cracks on the ends of the wood tells you that it has at least started to dry out, but they can be misleading. I've seen checking cracks form on wood that has only been cut and split for a few weeks. Smitty suggested a moisture meter. I've never used one because I cut my own wood and I always know how long it has really been seasoning, but if you're buying wood, I think a meter would come in quite handy.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #12
pabbqnewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
Good lord, son, you're in Pennsylvania! There are hardwood trees everywhere!

As many others have noted, check craigslist, ads in the paper, look for signs by the road, random trucks full of wood parked by the road, etc.

Do your best to learn how to identify species of wood. It takes time and practice. Find a good reference book that shows pictures of bark and leaves. It helps if you have a friend who knows wood and can go along with you to shop. If you have the means, cut your own wood. There's no better way to learn how to ID wood and get a feel for what good hardwood looks and feels like.

The good news is that the vast majority of hardwoods in PA are at least passably good for smoking. Stay away from anything that is light and pithy, like sycamore, aspen, tulip tree, basswood, and tree of heaven. Black locust is pretty much the only dense hardwood that would be bad for cooking.

When you're looking at a stack of wood that someone else cut and split, it is difficult to tell if it is seasoned. Checking cracks on the ends of the wood tells you that it has at least started to dry out, but they can be misleading. I've seen checking cracks form on wood that has only been cut and split for a few weeks. Smitty suggested a moisture meter. I've never used one because I cut my own wood and I always know how long it has really been seasoning, but if you're buying wood, I think a meter would come in quite handy.
Thanks everyone! This is a ton of good advice...I'll look into some moisture readers as well.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
$40 moisture meter.........
Maybe even cheaper! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #14
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a nice summary of the qualities of different woods for cooking: https://kbq.us/bbq-edu/wood-selection/

This one will help you identify which is which: Virginia Tech Tree Identification app. Should be available for Android and i-thingy, possibly also online https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.agps21&hl=en

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Another avenue is local tree services. Talk to them and have them get in touch if they're removing trees you'd like to have for smoking. Some will sell it to you cheap and some will give it to you free, especially if you offer to feed them now and then.