Brisket Chili- Taking One For The Team

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Now granted, this isn’t as bold a move as cowgirl’s short rib sandwich from Arby’s but I think this is going to truly work out. Maybe not the first try, so I may have to try it 3-5 times. Our Rudy’s is pretty dam solid. I don’t eat there often, but I do love chili soups and stews. I’ve had their smoked turkey and it was really tasty. Lots of black pepper. This week- I’m doing it.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/barbecue-chili/

My Bride is not nearly as pumped about this as I am.

Brisket Chili is awesome. I don't know about that recipe, though. I can't get excited about link sausage in Chili. Maybe it's just me.

Brisket Chili is awesome. I don't know about that recipe, though. I can't get excited about link sausage in Chili. Maybe it's just me.

Chili is very much an emotional comfort food. Stray to far from peoples upbringing they get nervous with chili. Almost as bad as Mayo in a burger. Since I seldom use a recipe almost every thing I cook is new or “similarly different”

A friend and I went to work one night in a forecast blizzard. It hit and 22 hours later we were in the middle of the interstate in zero visibility. I brought survival food. Box of saltines, jar of Jiff and a sack of snickers with a gallon of water.

He brought a gallon of water, a box of saltines and a large thermos of chili. Now in that chili he had chopped smoked ham. It’s a chili Id never had before, nor have I had it since.
But that night in the biting snow and cold it was some of the best chili I’ve ever eaten.

We listened to the Bill Mac Country Road Show twice before we got home.

I'd definitely trade my Arby's sandwich for a bowl of that chili! :laugh: :thumb:

You forced me to make an AM beer run, fresh out of Shiner :( Got home and found I was out of brisket so I thawed a package of venison stew meat and browned it with fresh onions, jalapenos, seranos and garlic from my neighbors garden. Simmering now, the house smells great :) First cold rainy day calls for chilli, then wife calls and asks if I would mind making a batch of chilli for dinner after I already had it going, I told her I was busy but for her I would alter my plans :) sometimes it all just kinda works out

Larry

Had to make a trip across town so my Bride could coach my 86 year old Mother on her new digital two zone thermostat. Luckily Rudy’s is less than a mile away. Bout half pound lean, half pound moist and a half pound of regular sausage. Loaded up on jalapeño, white onion and they threw in half loaf of wheat bread and both sauces. For humoring my whims I grabbed my Bride one of their giant rice crispy treats. I’ve read Rudy’s reviews and seen what folks say. I’ve been in three. Amarillo Lubbock and College Station. I’ve never been disappointed. Always fresh, hot and well seasoned. Anyway, then the Bride says can you make some kind of green Chile stew. A requested and a voluntary MSU cook. Life’s been good so far today.

It was/is good. I made adjustments to the script. But seriously the idea of quick Frito Pie or Brisket Chili is sound. This is to brisket chili what the instant pot is to beans. No longer do you have to think 24 hours ahead.

Last edited:
Dang that looks good Adams!

What's your favorite chili seasoning?

Thanks. Was a fun cook.

Last edited:
Back