Brisket Fat Cap Up or Down on WSM?

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have always gone fat cap down on my WSM BUT I don't fill my water pan so I always thought it was good to protect from the heat coming from the bottom.

Someone the other day mentioned going Fat Cap up even on WSM but that was contingent on using the water pan.

Would fat cap up on a WSM with NO water pan be too hot for the non fatty side? Thinking of giving it a try but not sure it's really worth messing with

Down. Fat cap is a layer of insulation between the meat and the heat.

I rarely ever use my Weber's, but I definitely go fat side down, otherwise you end up with jerky instead of bark on the bottom. Also, I don't believe that myth about the fat rendering and keeping the bottom moist. It usually just pools on the surface preventing bark formation, or it just rolls off the edges.

The last time I cooked a brisket on my UDS meat side down it was around 280. When I sliced it, the meat had a tough outer layer (not bark but kind of jerkyish) that I had to cut through harder. Now it is only fat down just like SmokeRingsMaster said.

I don't know but I've been told Fat side always faces the heat on a vertical. Has sure worked for me.

The last time I cooked a brisket on my UDS meat side down it was around 280. When I sliced it, the meat had a tough outer layer (not bark but kind of jerkyish) that I had to cut through harder. Now it is only fat down just like SmokeRingsMaster said.

Thanks, but please don't call me that. I have enough problems with people hating me, and my opinions/advice/criticism. :mrgreen:

Fat up so the fat has a great bark. It’s the best part of the brisket.

I might have to change my tune. Just did a smoke on the recteq and had one too many before placing the beef on the cooker last night. And man. That was good.

Back