MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
GK02
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default What did I get here??

So I was digging around a couple weeks ago looking for wagyu brisket and came across a ranch not too far from me that was selling 75% wagyu/ 25% angus cross briskets. I bit and went ahead and ordered two. They were not cheap at $7 lb but cheaper than snake river and if they were good then it would be a deal. Well the rancher was nice enough to drop them off for me at work one day and I just got around to thawing one last night.

Well to my surprise this is what it looked like when i pulled it out of the cryovac. It was actually a big piece of meat folded over. Anyone have any idea what this actually is because it doesn't look like any brisket I have ever seen?

IMG_6673.jpg

IMG_6674.jpg
GK02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
JAKs Q & brew
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

I think it's a half brisket that was separated lengthwise.

It certainly has the look for a brisket point and flat, so that seems most likely

Old 07-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #3
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

^^^Yup^^^ I was thinking a streamlined brisket

Old 07-24-2021, 01:40 AM   #4
Crakaveli
Full Fledged Farker

The flat looks really long.
Crakaveli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
Hotch
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Hotch

Looks like it has a bit of the plate.

The Texas BBQ Brethren Bash is Changing in 2025
Hotch is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
GK02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotch View Post
Looks like it has a bit of the plate.
So maybe it’s the flat plus some of the plate? It doesn’t really seem like it has any of the point. It is about 1.5 times the length of a 15lb brisket would be but this thing was only 10lbs

Old 07-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your butcher was shootin' for one of these:

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #8
Hotch
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Hotch

That looks like it!
The OP pic looks to be 20+ to me!
Now I want to cook a brisket...

The Texas BBQ Brethren Bash is Changing in 2025
Hotch is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #9
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

I buy a lot of local meat, and the only thing I don't like about it is that sometimes the processors are not as skilled as the large commercial guys. The meat comes out looking poorly cut. That may be what you have there.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:00 AM   #10
GK02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
I buy a lot of local meat, and the only thing I don't like about it is that sometimes the processors are not as skilled as the large commercial guys. The meat comes out looking poorly cut. That may be what you have there.
Yeah I think so. Based on the replys I think I got a brisket flat with some plate meat. Point seems to be gone. It kind of looks like it has one in the picture but it’s definitely not there.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:11 AM   #11
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK02 View Post
Yeah I think so. Based on the replys I think I got a brisket flat with some plate meat. Point seems to be gone. It kind of looks like it has one in the picture but it’s definitely not there.

So the answer to this thread is....You got ripped off. I hope you never go back to this Butcher. That said, Make the best of it. I would probably texas crutch it with foil ans some beef broth.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2021, 12:45 AM   #12
GK02

Yeah I would agree but I figured it was worth a shot. I’ll throw it on tonight and see how it comes out. If the beef is good then maybe I can convince the rancher to find a better butcher! Thanks

Old 07-25-2021, 01:14 AM   #13
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Yep. Processors are interesting. My sister in law works in supplying most of the processors in the midwest. She did a family cow split last year. Worst money I've ever spent. All the cuts are wonky and abnormal. The things I requested were all off.

I'm now working with a local farm that goes to processing. Showing them exact pictures of what I want and being able to have a say in their cut sheet so I can give my money to local people that are working to get me what I want.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2021, 01:18 AM   #14
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK02 View Post
Yeah I would agree but I figured it was worth a shot. I’ll throw it on tonight and see how it comes out. If the beef is good then maybe I can convince the rancher to find a better butcher! Thanks

So you went directly to a Rancher? I don't have any experience with that. If i had that option in my area, I would probably buy a half cow and take it to a local butcher to process, just like i do when i or a family member shoots a buck.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #15
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Processing is only one link in the production chain. Beef should be raised correctly, then have some sort of finishing, then processed. Grain finishing is the most common and can take up to 150 days either on a dedicated feed lot, or fed a special diet. So when buying a steer from a rancher, most people concentrate more on the cut sheet and don't ask about finishing, or ask about who is doing the processing.

If you do have a flat with some plate..., I see another option for the other 'brisket' you have in the freezer. The plate area is where beef navel comes from, it's the cut that many delis use for pastrami because it's fattier than a point muscle. You could also cure it for beef bacon, but the slices from the flat end will not be as good as the slices from the plate end.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->