Spinning Bones in the 505 - An experiment

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Pholks,

My love for German Brathendl knows no bounds.

That said, the "Chicken Man" who used to visit the Ramstein Air Base BX with the huge wall of rotisseries in the back... spinning chicken halves, pork ribs, and pork knuckles suddenly came to mind.

I need to spin some ribs on my 22.5 Cajun Bandit, or at least give it a shot with a rack of spares I found on sale a couple of weeks ago.

Am thinking of using this German Rub recipe for Spiessbraten on the ribs:
INGREDIENTS
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp German mustard
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Searches on the forum complete with good info from many of you.

Any thoughts / words of wisdom on time or temp, etc? I haven't spun ribs since Keith Brown helped me throw a party for our Munchkin's Baptism in '16.

Should I trim down to St Louis? Cut it in half so it spins more vertically than horizontally in the kettle?

Have seen (and I remember from '16) that we watched for "Pig Honey" on the racks at about 90-100 minutes into the cook to see when we should be good on the toothpick test for doneness.... Bingo!

More to follow tomorrow. Thanks for the help and ideas.

I will just share that at Ramstein base I had the best pork sandwich in front or the px or commissary when I was 13. 27 years ago and haven’t be able to replicate but come close.

I see 2 paths. 1) use your already well honed cooking skills and make it work or 2) go YouTube BBQ and test 84 different combinations.

Seriously, I might lean to St. Louis cut, skewered perpendicular to bones. I would think it would be the most consistent. But hey, I’m definitely over my skis here…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've done full spares & stl's myself, and have had bb's spun by Moose and enjoyed 'em all tremendously. When I do it, I usually cook pretty dang high (vents all open) and baste with bacon grease. I've had racks done in 1-2 hours. :shocked: FWIW not sure what anyone else does, but when I spin I only have heat on one side - works for me.

For fulls, it's good to watch the clearance if you're using the lid, and also to watch out for the larger racks catching on fire and falling into the coals (don't ask me how I know this...). I will say that ribs are fantastic spun. Even ones that fall into the coals.

For large racks this skewer move has worked for me:
picture.php

Looking forward to seeing what you do - I know it's gonna be killer!

Talent on display

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Seriously, I might lean to St. Louis cut, skewered perpendicular to bones. I would think it would be the most consistent. But hey, I’m definitely over my skis here…

Seeing as I don't have time for 84 different combinations, I think I'll roll with your idea here. I'm betting that a St Louis cut will fit just fine w/o cutting in half.

Whipped up the spice mixture for the wet rub

3Hv5lyPl.jpg

Found some German mustard to mix in... then added EVOO until it loosened into a reasonable paste.

X9yUlpGl.jpg

Here's the overall plan for the mission:

Cs5EcnCl.jpg

More to follow.

Well, here goes nothing...

Had a bit of a chuckle as I put the rack on the spit... center attachment point was dead-center on a bone. Of course. :roll:

A0gqJqYl.jpg

Looks like it'll be a balance of heat proximity toward the bottom of the course of rotation (duh :roll:)

Rack is definitely too big to let me put a lid on the whole setup.

Now, we wait and watch...

About 90 min in...

nMwNX7ml.jpg

Munchkin came out and remarked that she "likes to watch the blood drip out of the chicken." (She calls all meat chicken, for some reason).

Interesting to see the original red of the wet rub transition to yellow as the ribs cook.

Looking good Marc!

Thievery Corporation. :thumb:

Cheers, Sako!

I have a very wide and varied taste in music.

My "Wicken Yanks Smokin' Tunes" playlist includes (but is not limited to):
Thievery Corporation, Dave Matthews Band, The Avett Brothers, Shark Quest, The Barr Brothers, U2, The Allman Brothers Band, and a few others that aren't on the top of my head...

Just pulled the ribs at about the 3 hour mark. Nice color.

Knocked 'em off the Octoforks and onto a sheet pan for a hold in a warm oven.

Completely forgot photos.

CINCHOUSE working on 'tater salad and such.

More in about 90-ish minutes.

I’m waiting… semi-patiently…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

90 minutes must be up
So, ribs spun or on a rack, whats your preferance

Back