Do You Even Tallow

This started with Aaron Franklin's "Secret" for making his great brisket. Someone claimed to figure it out. Tallow! Anyone know if Aaron has weighed in on this?

I'm betting he opens a beer and reads the comments on the various videos, and forum posts.... laughing to himself the entire time.

I have been tallowing when I vacuum seal it and it does wonders on keeping the brisket from drying out.

"tallowing" another verb to add to the BBQ Dictionary.

I have been tallowing when I vacuum seal it and it does wonders on keeping the brisket from drying out.
I've been tallowing for years and years and didn't even know it! I place brisket fat cap up in bp. The flat is swimming in tallow. :doh:

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Skip the tallow. Replace with a stick of Kerrygold butter when wrapping.

I miss the days when we just smoked briskets.

It is so complicated now.

I think it's the opposite. It's now easier than ever for the average joe to turn out a good brisket.

Smoke between 200-300 degrees
Wrap or foil boat when you like the bark
Pull and rest at room temp for 2 hours after flat probes tender (approximately 203 degrees)
Rest 8+ hours wrapped/boated @ 150-170 degrees.
Serve

Pellets,lump,tallow,ceramic,stick burner,kettle……Life is a journey,enjoy the ride and do as you damned well please.There is no definitive answer.If you and your guests like it,be pleased,enjoy the comradeship,most importantly,Have Fun!

Back