Yoder YS problem with marketing (claims)

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was conflicted on how to title this post. I almost called it a Pellet pooper problem, but to be fair to other pellet grills, I changed it. Not quite sure what other pellet grill owners have or what their experience is, but I have a problem with Yoder’s claims. They claim their grill can go from 150-600 degrees. I’m making homemade bacon as we speak, so I set the pit to 150. After it came up to temp, it never made it back to 150. It hovered between 165-180. I expect a temp variance, but if you advertise 150 have the pit hit that temp at least once in the cooking process. I like the MAK has a low setting of smoke and they advertise that as 160-175 and it hits that temp pretty regularly. If companies are more truthful as to their capabilities, the buyer can make the best decision for their needs. I wonder if LSG grills will actually hit 150 consistently as they advertise. Overall the bacon turned out great, but Yoder, advertise what your product will actually accomplish. If you can’t hit 150, don’t claim that you can. Still like the pit, but buyer beware… Me personally, I would have still bought the pit as I realistically expected an average of 175. But if a new pit owner with no pellet experience is making a purchase based on manufactured claims, they could be disappointed. Interested in hearing your thoughts?

Personally, I think 150° is gonna be tough for any pellet grill to idle at. Such a small fired required, that I think the chance of a flameout is greatly increased. Heck, on a hot day, my MAK’s can be sitting at 120-130° unplugged, with the cover on. A cold winter day is gonna be different, but I think that is the exception to the rule.

I totally agree with you though… it’s not a good idea for a manufacturer to market their product as being capable of doing something it cannot.

I guess that’s where I’m getting at in an obscure kind of way. Does anyone think a pellet grill can burn efficiently at 150 as some manufacturers claim. I agree that I think 150 is an ambitious target temp for a pellet cooker. I would imagine 165-180 would be the range most manufacturers will actually hit.

150 is hard to maintain on a pellet grill unless it's cold outside. And once you overshoot you will probably need to open the lid for awhile to cool it down.

I have a Pit Boss vertical i got at lowes when it was on sale for $250. The dial goes from smoke -150F-175F-200F..ect..ect. I tested the temps with my Fireboard ambient probes. With the water pan in and filled, the grate above the water pan hovers around 120F-140F. The second grate above the water pan hovers around 150F-170F. This is with the dial set to 150F. Its great for cold smoking and beef jerky. All my other smokers range from 165F (treager) and 180F (rec tec mod PB). Being the lowest they go.

I can run my Yoder at 150° in cold weather no problem. When it is 100° plus - no way

I can run my Yoder at 150° in cold weather no problem. When it is 100° plus - no way

I was going to suggest that he try it in winter. It’s probably not a bogus claim, just dependent on outside temps.

Have you queried this with Yoder?
The marketing hype down here is streched to say the least

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining by any means. It’s a great pellet smoker, but 150 degrees is ambitious. Just me, but I like to under promise and over deliver. I think any pellet smoker that promises a150 degree temp over promises and under delivers. Just me, though. For any one looking into a Yoder, it’s a great smoker with its pros and cons. I wouldn’t count on it getting to 150 in a consistent basis though. Maybe if your conditions are right it will, but if you want 150 in the south in summer, it ain’t happening. I love all my cookers and the Yoder isn’t any different. But I’d be wary of the claims if low is what you’re looking for.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining by any means. It’s a great pellet smoker, but 150 degrees is ambitious. Just me, but I like to under promise and over deliver. I think any pellet smoker that promises a150 degree temp over promises and under delivers. Just me, though. For any one looking into a Yoder, it’s a great smoker with its pros and cons. I wouldn’t count on it getting to 150 in a consistent basis though. Maybe if your conditions are right it will, but if you want 150 in the south in summer, it ain’t happening. I love all my cookers and the Yoder isn’t any different. But I’d be wary of the claims if low is what you’re looking for.

I almost bought a Yoder, but the lack of Wifi was the deal breaker. I ended up buying a Timberline 1300. And i am happy for the most part. It holds a steady 165F. I have a Fireboard graph of 12 hours where it held 165F the entire time.

I almost bought a Yoder, but the lack of Wifi was the deal breaker. I ended up buying a Timberline 1300. And i am happy for the most part. It holds a steady 165F. I have a Fireboard graph of 12 hours where it held 165F the entire time.

All of the new Yoder’s have the WiFi built in. The Yoder holds rock solid at 165 as we’ll. Anything under that is ambitious. Great cooker though as I’m sure the timberline is. I’ve heard really good things about them.

All of the new Yoder’s have the WiFi built in. The Yoder holds rock solid at 165 as we’ll. Anything under that is ambitious. Great cooker though as I’m sure the timberline is. I’ve heard really good things about them.

Good and bad. It weirdly produces some soot on the top of the diffuser. Strangely its the only area, and it doesnt effect flavor. Sometimes you can't even taste smoke, just great wood cooked flavor (if that makes any sense) But with the Smoke daddy inc Stick Burner diffuser, it changed the game big time. I can do a 50lb whole Pig. And it comes out like it was done in a competition stick burner.

Dont get me wrong, your going to pull that rack out 2 times with that 50 lb pig in to add more sticks. to get a good 4-6 hours of smoke at temps above 300F, but its worth it.

Back