*Opinions* Weber Premium 22" vs. 26" Price Difference

Ciggy5

Reaction score
So I've done some research on the 26" Weber Premium Kettle - not really interested in buying it, just some b.s. research - and I see that there is a lot to like about it. The size is great, and the bottom-mounted airflow and ash clean out gimmick that Weber has on the Kettles now is great, to name two things.

My hangup with it is the price... Not even whether or not it's worth $299, but is it really worth double the smaller unit?

Here's my opinion: No, I don't think for ~30% more cooking space and added difficulty controlling low temps that the Premium 26" is worth double the Premium 22".

What are some of your thoughts?

I have a couple of 22.5's and a 26. I use the 26 way more - like almost all the time. I have a family of 4, including 2 teenage sons, so I do need that extra cook space - a lot. One thing about 22's is that they can be pretty easily found on CL for a decent price, at least around here.

Personally, if you need the space I'd go with the 26. If you break out the cost of each cooker over the period of time you'll be using it (many, many years), the difference doesn't really amount to much.

One thing that I've learned about Weber in the past 20 years or so... Every time (now 4 times) I've done research and thought "There is no way this Grill is worth it", I've been proven wrong after using it.

I'll soon find out if that proves true again, since I just purchased a 26. I have to admit it was still really hard for me to part with $300 for an overgrown kettle.

I have two daisy wheel kettles, a 1979 and a 1993. When one of them finally wears out, I plan on replacing it with a 26" kettle.
Unless I find one on clearance before then.

I am always on the lookout for a good used deal on a 26 on craigslist, but they just never come up. I don't need one, but very much want one in my arsenal :-D. That extra room is always nice to have.

I just picked up a CL 26" for $180. It's in pretty good condition. They don't come up for sale much. Probably because there are not a lot of them around.

Haven't used it much because I'm going to make it into a performer with gas assist. If you have never used a performer, they are so much nicer than a straight kettle, imho. The table & gas assist really makes a difference. I got rid of my 22" kettle after I got the performer - both were a CL purchase.

I doubt I'll get rid of the performer - I've grown attached to it. Might off the 18" kettle.

Hi Ciggy-
As I was told, time and time again when trying to decide on and 18 inch WSM or a 22 WSM, if you can afford it go with the larger. I've never looked back and as someone who has a 22 kettle, I wish I had a 26. I see you live in Brooklyn, do you have the room for the 26?

The thing about the 26 is you can do so much more with it via indirect cooking.

That's why I wanted one. & also there have been times when searing one thing & doing indirect with another & also trying to keep something else warm & the 22 suddenly becomes too small. You can fire up 2 grills, however you have 2 fires in 2 different places to manage.

Put a 26 next to a 22 & you will see it's a much larger grill.

I've got a 22 and a 26incher. I usually fill it up every time I cook, so that we have leftovers for a couple of days. Since getting the 26, I rarely use the 22. However the 22 has come in handy as a searing station when I was cooking a bunch of steaks indirect on the 26.

I love having both of them. If you are starting from scratch, buying new, and have a family to feed, then I think the extra money is justifiable for the 26 (assuming you have the discretionary cash). However, if tight on cash, I think buying a couple of used kettles would suffice when extra room is needed.

I think most Guys would pay tens of thousand$ for 4 more inches....... :twitch:

I've got both sizes and use the big weber so much I gave my neighbor the 22".

I haven't found any Weber product that wasn't worth the money.

26.75 PERIOD! I've got both but cook on the big one, probably 20:1. I have a Home Depot commerciasl account and built up a lot of "points" so I got mine for about $150, but now that I've had it for a while I would gladly pay the retail.

Always go one size bigger.....I have the 22" should have gone for the 26".

I am a bit of cooker collector… in the ball park of 20 of them, at least half of them Webers and all but a couple purchased on craigslist…Have a bit of a problem haha I lucked out and got a new in box 26 for $100. All that aside, if I had to give up all my babies and only keep one…it would be my Weber 26. Tons of space for direct grilling, indirect grilling, smoking. With my vortex, I can cook tons of wings, ABTS, meatballs and all sorts of apps. It’s versatile, holds temps well, gives ample cooking room. There is nothing bad about it (Except in my opinion the legs being a bit flimsy for a kettle of its size) I use it the majority of the time, only using the 22s for rotisserie cooks, real small loads, or real large loads when the 26 is full. The performer table is nice, and I would love one for my 26, but I have a patio table that I move to whichever grill or smoker I am using and that works for me. Go bigger…you won’t regret it!

Back