Beef ribs

randy033

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I want to smoke some beef ribs. Is there any other ribs besides short ribs? I live in North Georgia and that all I can find. I think that I have heard of chuck ribs but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See if you can source beef plate ribs. They're like brontosaurus ribs. Twice as long as short ribs.

Beef back ribs. It’s the leftover bones after the carve off the prime rib. Lot less meat than plate ribs, but still plenty tasty.

Another vote for plate ribs, if you can find them. They are cut low and in back of the brisket, aka brisket on a stick.

2UZhFWC.jpg

Plate ribs, when I can find them, are pretty spendy in my neck of the woods. But ^ beef back ribs ^ are usually a pretty good deal at around $3.20 a pound for choice Angus.... which equates to $18 for a 7-rib rack.

Treat them like pork ribs. Peel the membrane, trim any tags that might dry up, season them heavy enough to withstand a 3 or 4 hour smoke time. I usually wrap for about 1 hour to push the tenderness where I want it. The last rack I did was meaty enough to inject, which worked out really nice.

Beef back ribs is what you want,but they have a very high bone to meat ratio.

You can usually find them on sale or ask your butcher for them, they are usually taken off of the prime rib before selling

So there are 3 bone plate and 4 bone chuck ribs (what I see the most).

You can also find back ribs that have meat between the bones (as opposed to on top of the bone like short ribs). I used to cook these all the time at the BBQ restaurant, but have to admit, I seldom see them for sale in the grocery store. When I do, they are always previously frozen.

Sams will have the big plate ribs. You have to ask for them but they always have them. Back ribs are tasty but not much meat.

Back