MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #16
George1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Congratulations! Well done.
George1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #17
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

I learned long ago with my first wife that if I asked if I could buy something, the answer was always "no" but it was okay for her to buy stuff without asking me. I then just said screw it and bought what I wanted within reason.

I have a good job and make pretty good money and I don't need a "mother" to tell me what I can or can not spend money on. I always pay bills first and save for retirement. My current fiancee doesn't say much for the most part about what I buy but when she tells me that I don't "need" something that I want to buy, I tell her that I don't tell her what she should or should not buy and to not tell me that either.

I won't ever get caught up again in asking for permission to buy something. I understand everyone's situation is different but this is how I do mine.
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #18
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Alrighty then! I thought I was pretty clever making her think it was her idea, but you guys are inspiring. I think maybe I'll just go and tell her how it is . . . .

Old 07-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #19
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

My wife is the cooker hoarder at our house

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #20
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

For big ticket items, I exercise patience and plan ahead with a full program of well timed grovelling. The intervals between grovelling allow me to think of ways to reinforce my point. The objective is to wear her down slowly and steadily.

For something less than big ticket - sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #21
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

That strategy has some wisdom, Piney. What's the natural progression after Weber Performer Deluxe and PBC?

Old 07-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #22
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicChef View Post

Of course, this advice is brought to you by a twice divorced white male who has been single for the past 22+ years! . At this point in my life a long term relationship is a 3 day weekend! Use this advice at your own peril.
Great disclaimer! ;-)

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #23
sjb67
Full Fledged Farker

I guess I am lucky. Have to be careful what my wife of 28 years sees me looking at. She has bought me an XL BGE, a vertical Offset and the plans and material from smoker builder for a double pan gravity feed, a Blackstone griddle and pizza oven. All without me saying a word. This is in addition to my trailer mount smoker I built 30 years ago that she somehow made sure I got to build when I probably shouldn't have. Every holiday or anniversary something I looked at shows up. Think I will keep her.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #24
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

My wife has never tried to block anything I wanted - and vice-versa. I hate "permission culture". I'm pretty sensible and thoughtful about acquisitions - so is she.

Of course the first wife was a different tale.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #25
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Nice job... Well played... CyberQ for Xmas? Lol...
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #26
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks! And here's the thing: I guess I framed it like her purchase was just out of fear, and it was some kind up manipulative unspoken negotiation. That wasn't really it. She was very excited to get me something she knew I wanted. I wouldn't know what to do with a $3k smoker (yet). She couldn't wait to give the PBC to me!

Of course, maybe she just wanted me to shut up about how cool hanging meat would be, and she knew this would do the trick! (But now I get to talk about how cool it actually is now that I have it)

Old 07-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #27
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
That strategy has some wisdom, Piney. What's the natural progression after Weber Performer Deluxe and PBC?
Patience. Polish the grovelling to a fine art - but time it wisely. Be sure to reinforce the point that the new cooker will benefit her as much as you...she will eat from that new magical flaming chalice.

Assure her that your Q magic will broaden in huge ways and she will be a benefactor of that broadening. She can explore Q in sensory ways that she never envisioned.

If that doesn't work, then take one for the team and watch a bunch of chick flicks with her...and be serious about it.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS

Last edited by Smoking Piney; 07-13-2017 at 09:04 PM..
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #28
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

I start out with something more expensive than what I actually want. That way it seems like a good deal when I actually pull the trigger.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #29
unixadm
Take a breath!

That's a great story and very cool. Put a smile on my face. Now get the PBC fired up and let's see some MEAT!

Old 07-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #30
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
That's a great story and very cool. Put a smile on my face. Now get the PBC fired up and let's see some MEAT!
I'm planning on it. Just have to figure out how to post pics--that's what 16 hours of CE over the next 2 days is for. While the eggheads are droning on about highbrow crap I'll be on my iPad reading tutorials on posting pics.

Fortunately, I've taken a few pics in anticipation of this . . .

Tags
grills, PBC, smokers